2017~2024 ALL SEASON vs WINTER TIRES

Started this new topic so that GJ-Molester doesnt go off topic everywhere else.

You should have started a thread titled:
Safe driving tips from GJ-Molester. For all drivers, especially for those that live in Colorado.

Last edited:
If its after Nov. 15 and you're caught running a non-winter tire or any tire with insufficient tread depth your car should be impounded and driving privilege (yes its a privilege) revoked for 90 days or until Apr 1 whichever is longer. 1 exception..there has been no measurable snowfall since the NWS has started keeping records. If that became law Id become a cop and roll up on all you fools(laugh) Whoop whoop dats da sound a da police..
Wait wtf are Sunny tires? Oh hell no ticket just for that regardless of season.

Last edited:
We negotiated to have winter tires/rims included when we bought the car, so it was never much of a question for us. We get enough snow in our area that they're worthwhile, and even more so when we travel a little further inland where they regularly get about 9-10ft of snow every year. We'll get them put on in November/December and they're usually off in April/May, depending on what the winter was like.

Ok guys so I was kidding (mostly) however I do think if you're out in terrible weather with terrible tires and get yourself in a pickle you should be held accountable for your lack of common sense and frankly yes putting others in potential danger as a result of your recklessness..this:
http://www.bmwusatires.com/coldweather/myths

Last edited:
If its after Nov. 15 and you're caught running a non-winter tire or any tire with insufficient tread depth your car should be impounded and driving privilege (yes its a privilege) revoked for 90 days or until Apr 1 whichever is longer.

I know you meant it as a joke, but it's actually a law in Quebec, Canada.
Snow tires are mandatory.
Since this law was enacted in 2008, overall, accidents have decreased.
Some areas of the province reported small reductions, but in those areas, a majority of drivers already used snow tires.
The biggest drop in accident rates was in the city of Montreal, where there was the lowest use of winter tires prior to the law.

^I did know that and not at all surprised with the results. I think there are definitely sectors/regions of merica that should have this type of mandate as well. Sure the lazy cheapos will come out with torches and pitchforks and where to "draw the line" would have to be worked out on the state level but just an ex if your car is registered north of the say the I90 corridor in ny/ma (really no brainer for winter rubber) you're on the hook and subject to fine if your vehicle is not so equipped. If we're as serious about safety as we like to tell ourselves with all the onboard nannies etc. that we often shell out thousands for I see no reason not to have this mandate in some form in some areas in the us outside of extreme mountainous areas that i believe have rules like this.

Last edited:
^I did know that and not at all surprised with the results. I think there are definitely sectors/regions of merica that should have this type of mandate as well. Sure the lazy cheapos will come out with torches and pitchforks and where to "draw the line" would have to be worked out on the state level but just an ex if your car is registered north of the say the I90 corridor in ny/ma (really no brainer for winter rubber) you're on the hook and subject to fine if your vehicle is not so equipped. If we're as serious about safety as we like to tell ourselves with all the onboard nannies etc. that we often shell out thousands for I see no reason not to have this mandate in some form in some areas in the us outside of extreme mountainous areas that i believe have rules like this.

Oh no! Not another law. I drive north of I90 I have snow tires and like them a lot. I never run worn out tires because it is my car and my life, but the last thing we need in NY is another law.

Laws require enforcement, enforcement requires taxes or fines (A tax) Taxes force people to leave.
Taxpaying New Yorkers are leaving in droves for other states, according to a new study.

In 2014, 126,000 New York tax filers fled to other places in the United States more than from any other state, according to the study posted on newgeography.com by two demographers.

The Empire State also lost the most high earners, who reported incomes of more than $200,000 a year.

New York has been leading the nation in domestic migration for decades, Wendell Cox, who co-authored the study, told the Albany Times Union.

You should have started a thread titled:
Safe driving tips from GJ-Molester. For all drivers, especially for those that live in Colorado.

Haha (thumb)

They both have their uses, just depends on where you live and what you ahve to deal with.

YMMV

Oh no! Not another law. I drive north of I90 I have snow tires and like them a lot. I never run worn out tires because it is my car and my life, but the last thing we need in NY is another law.

Laws require enforcement, enforcement requires taxes or fines (A tax) Taxes force people to leave.
Taxpaying New Yorkers are leaving in droves for other states, according to a new study.

In 2014, 126,000 New York tax filers fled to other places in the United States — more than from any other state, according to the study posted on newgeography.com by two demographers.

The Empire State also lost the most “high earners,” who reported incomes of more than $200,000 a year.

“New York has been leading the nation in domestic migration for decades,” Wendell Cox, who co-authored the study, told the Albany Times Union.

I'm not suggesting any increase in enforcement of this necessarily..simply- be smart, be safe, switch to winter tires in winter if you live and drive upstate or be subject to fine and maybe your insurance company won't cover you if they deemed you were driving an accident waiting to happen. This would generate more $ than it costs, prevent accidents and likely lower insurance premiums. Some laws just make sense.

I'm not suggesting any increase in enforcement of this necessarily..simply- be smart, be safe, switch to winter tires in winter if you live and drive upstate or be subject to fine and maybe your insurance company won't cover you if they deemed you were driving an accident waiting to happen. This would generate more $ than it costs, prevent accidents and likely lower insurance premiums. Some laws just make sense.

completely totally against it if it generates $ then it is a increase in the cost of living here. If the insurance companies take up the cause I will mount my new Nokian Hakkapeliitta and change insurance companies the same day. Don't get me wrong. The Hakkapeliitta are all mounted on rims and going on my car, my wifes car and my daughters car next Tuesday. I just don't want more laws.

What do you tell the retired couple living in Rochester NY who simply leave the car in the garage when it snows and stay home? BTW I know them. I sometimes give them a ride. Perhaps they should just move south.

I might have mercy on the retired couple who drove a few miles to the local Wegmans to stock up on prune juice on a nice January day before a snowstorm but if they're out in some frozen precip next day and happen to catch or require my attention or assistance..You know your vehicle is not properly equipped for the season and particularly these conditions, may I ask what brings you out and about today? OK well consider this a warning..mount winter tires or I'll have to write you a ticket bc winter tires are important for the safety of you, your occupants, your vehicle and of course other motorists and pedestrians. There's wiggle room here maybe a list of tires that perform well enough to be acceptable to run year round provided adequate tread..Makes sense I think, make people more aware that tires are a very important safety feature especially in harsh winter conditions--that's the goal not to jam people up.

Last edited:
As the guy who started another thread on the value of winter tires you have almost turned against them. No No No No more laws. None.

Assume you meant "turned me against them" which is silly but fine no more laws..i get this. Upstate ad campaign..use winter tires, get state income tax deduction and lower insurance premiums.

Put mine on yesterday..(guitar)

Assume you meant "turned me against them" which is silly but fine no more laws..i get this. Upstate ad campaign..use winter tires, get state income tax deduction and lower insurance premiums.

Put mine on yesterday..(guitar)

My preference, no laws no signs, no ad campaign no tax deduction. My hope and dream is that the government would not help me. Even better if they would just leave me alone.

Now lower insurance premiums, That is a good idea.

My preference, no laws no signs, no ad campaign no tax deduction. My hope and dream is that the government would not help me. Even better if they would just leave me alone.

Now lower insurance premiums, That is a good idea.
(iagree)

As much as we pay them they can help incentivize winter tire usage. Me and you are going to buy them anyway, but i want more people to use them as there's evidence they provide additional control in bad weather. I don't see how this is a bad thing or not leaving you alone..you don't have to do it but if you do here's a little something for the effort.

Latest posts

Back