New 2023 CX-5 Turbo Signature for $40k vs Used 2022 Turbo Signature for $36k?

I'm deciding between getting a new 2023 CX-5 vs buying this used one from 2022 with 4.5k miles: https://www.kendallchevroletmarysvi...ty-jm3kfbxy8n0605025/#modal__advanced-pricing. It does have a scratch on the bumper though (pics below). $36.2k is high considering it's a '22 and has that scratch, but what would a decent price for it be? What else would factor into your thoughts about buying used vs new? Having the used car 1 more year out of warranty would be another big strike against it

7319aee8aad954894584c4eb81963b25.jpg
1691691790343.png

Last edited:
buy new. If the used was certified from Mazda dealer (gets the cpo extra warranty), may be. But this doesnt appear to be.
Some 2022 also had some small tsb issues, while they should be resolved on 2023.
Or try to bargain for say 33-34k.

Last edited:
Mileage, interior condition, and service/repair history are also very important. Run the VIN to make sure it doesn't have any outstanding recalls, test drive it to make sure it drives as it should (do a test drive with a new 23 model to compare), and be sure to get a PPI done by a mechanic of your choosing before committing to anything.

Me personally, at that price, I would have the selling party fix the damage on their own dime. Or, I would get an estimate from a reputable body shop for the cost to repair the scratch, then negotiate to reduce the selling price enough to at least cover the cost of the repair. But before all that, I'd want to know the mileage, interior condition and service/repair history.

Also compare prices for other locally available used CX-5s of the same configuration.

buy new. If the used was certified from Mazda dealer (gets the cpo extra warranty), may be. But this doesnt appear to be.
Some 2022 also had some small tsb issues, while they should be resolved on 2023.
Or try to bargain for say 33-34k.
Thanks! I agree 33-34k seems much more representative of what the car should be worth. What are the TSB issues you mentioned?

nothing major and nothing that cant be fixed under warranty but annoyance. mainly with the infotainment and connected services, plus few more for buzzing headlights, cooled seats, etc

I have the same model, year, color, mileage, and similar build date with no recalls or tsbs, and zero issues. If the car checks out I’d negotiate down including the repair. The 2023-4 models are essentially the same so you’ll have to decide if the savings is worth losing 5,000 miles and the year on the warranty. The list price was ~$41K and they’ve gone up a bit but then it’s easier to negotiate now than it was back then when ADM’s were common. What’s the best you can do on a new CX-5 in your area now? That would be important to me when making a decision.

Mileage, interior condition, and service/repair history are also very important. Run the VIN to make sure it doesn't have any outstanding recalls, test drive it to make sure it drives as it should (do a test drive with a new 23 model to compare), and be sure to get a PPI done by a mechanic of your choosing before committing to anything.

Me personally, at that price, I would have the selling party fix the damage on their own dime. Or, I would get an estimate from a reputable body shop for the cost to repair the scratch, then negotiate to reduce the selling price enough to at least to cover the cost of the repair. But before all that, I'd want to know the mileage, interior condition and service/repair history.

Also compare prices for other locally available used CX-5s of the same configuration.
Op said 4.5k miles. Shouldn't be any service history at 4.5k miles. Rest makes sense.

I looked at used models before I purchased a new 2023 CX-5. My own personal view is that new is always better than used, when comparing essentially applies to apples as in your case. The damage to the car would make me walk away, but that is one person's opinion. At the least I would get an estimate of the repair and deduct that amount from the price and offer the net. Have it estimated and done yourself to help ensure it is done right. I am enjoying my less and month old automobile and hope you will as well when the time comes.

If you do go for the used car, I would add the cost of a rental while it is in the shop to repair the damage if the seller won't fix it first.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! I talked to the dealership and they didn't want to budge on the price. The salesman claimed the price was competitive with others in the area 🤷‍♂️.

The financing is a really good point. There's an offer from Mazda for 2.9% APR on a new 2023 CX-5, so that's likely to be much better than anything I'd get financing a used car.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! I talked to the dealership and they didn't want to budge on the price. The salesman claimed the price was competitive with others in the area 🤷‍♂️.

The financing is a really good point. There's an offer from Mazda for 2.9% APR on a new 2023 CX-5, so that's likely to be much better than anything I'd get financing a used car.
I think the 2.9% is for 3 yrs.

I was going to pay in full when I got my car back in December, but they had the 2.9% financing then too. So, no brainer, I could get 4% CDs back then, making a profit on my borrowed money. Now there are CDs over 5%, making it even more a no-brainer - at least for the 36mo loans.

I was going to pay in full when I got my car back in December, but they had the 2.9% financing then too. So, no brainer, I could get 4% CDs back then, making a profit on my borrowed money. Now there are CDs over 5%, making it even more a no-brainer - at least for the 36mo loans.
That was my strategy when we bought in June of this year.

Back