Aftermarket Cabin Air Filter for the Mazda CX-9?

How is this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Actually it seems very similar to the OE one. Maybe the OE one is OEM-ed from TYC as well.
Can't be sure, though.

Mazda OE has Mazda logo one it. As far as I can tell, that is the major difference.
Those kinds of cabin air filter are basic filtering w/o carbon particle charged to remove odors (like those on expensive
luxury vehicles).

Last edited:
How is this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Actually it seems very similar to the OE one. Maybe the OE one is OEM-ed from TYC as well.
Can't be sure, though.

Mazda OE has Mazda logo one it. As far as I can tell, that is the major different.
Those kinds of cabin air filter are basic filtering w/o carbon particle charged to remove odors (like those on expensive
luxury vehicles).

I replaced mine with the TYC last Nov, and just received a 2nd one that's on the shelf in the garage for this Nov.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i just thought i would share. I have been making my own cabin air filters for years by just cutting a regular home furnace 3M or similar air filter to the correct size. On my other vehicle i can get 6 filters out of a 20x30 Furnace filter. Considering the Furnace filter costs about $20, it's a significant savings for me. Haven't done this for my CX9 yet, but i have already looked at the factory filter and don't see anything that would pose a problem.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i just thought i would share. I have been making my own cabin air filters for years by just cutting a regular home furnace 3M or similar air filter to the correct size. On my other vehicle i can get 6 filters out of a 20x30 Furnace filter. Considering the Furnace filter costs about $20, it's a significant savings for me. Haven't done this for my CX9 yet, but i have already looked at the factory filter and don't see anything that would pose a problem.

Actually I have always thought about this idea considering the OEM filter looks flimsy and weak. My question is how hard to cut the 3M filter? I remember seeing there is like a metal grille/net to hold the filter in place.

I have heard this a lot, many people are using normal home furnace filters and making their own cabin air filters along with many other filters, I never though it was a good idea, i always though that it would not work as well as the cabin air filters you can purchase however, I am now in a big financial crisis and no longer can afford to be purchasing everything. How well did this work?

Last edited:
If I were in a financial crisis mode, I can tell you that changing the cabin air filter of my car wouldn't even be on the BOTTOM of the list!

Take it out, bang out the dirt and leaves and stick it back in. Done!

I have heard this a lot, many people are using normal home furnace filters and making their own cabin air filters along with many other filters, I never though it was a good idea, i always though that it would not work as well as the cabin air filters you can purchase however, I am now in a big financial crisis and no longer can afford to be purchasing everything. How well did this work?

It's not at all difficult to cut the furnace filters. I usually use a pair of kitchen shears. The Metal Mesh that covers the filter material is quite thin.

It saves me money, and i feel is also better than any factory or aftermarket cabin air filter i have found in terms of ability to actually clean and filter the air.

I change them out about once a year.

10K is what I would recommend changing the cabin air filter.
I did my 1st one at 15K, and it was dirty.

Going to cut some out of a 3M furnace filter. Great Idea Veilside1!

The OE filter is priced around $20 each.
However, the TYC can be bought for $8-9 each at eBay.
I just got one and put it in in 1 minute.

Going to cut some out of a 3M furnace filter. Great Idea Veilside1!

I would not recommend this. I bought my replacement on Rock Auto for 10 dollars.
I change my furnace filter about every 2 months with the fan always set to run, not "auto."
The furnace filters get clogged quickly, and, thy begin to bow towards the suction, and will give at some point, at which point the motor ingests the filter, at which point a new motor is required.

While a car is not always on 24/7, still, get the 10 dollar part and be done with it.

I would not recommend this. I bought my replacement on Rock Auto for 10 dollars.
I change my furnace filter about every 2 months with the fan always set to run, not "auto."
The furnace filters get clogged quickly, and, thy begin to bow towards the suction, and will give at some point, at which point the motor ingests the filter, at which point a new motor is required.

While a car is not always on 24/7, still, get the 10 dollar part and be done with it.

What he said. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...lter-Located&p=5671806&viewfull=1#post5671806 There's also charcoal filter available for a few dollars more.

Back