Advice and Opinions needed

Maskew

:
Mazda Proteg5
So I basically just got my 2003 Mazda Proteg5 and I am really wanting to get that thing super fast and looking good. I'm not past dropping a fair amount of money, I just need some tips here as far as how to go about getting stuff done.

I would hate to be that guy but these don't get too fast.

Try looking in the protege section and looking up what it takes to turbo your engine.

Also look into upgrading your pistons/rods

The FIRST thing I would suggest would be to get your ecu flashed to a MP3 ecu until you get the other bits

Last edited:
Step 1 to making it super fast is sell the protege and buy something else. You could probably drop several thousand dollars into making it go faster and would still get destroyed by a mostly stock wrx.

It's really not worth spending money on trying to make these things fast as there aren't a lot of easy gains to be made. Even moderate bumps in pretty are going to require a lot of work. The platform never really had a robust performance market even 15 years ago during it's peak much less now.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
leave the protege alone as a daily commuter. They are relatively comfortable for long trips, fun and sporty handling, insanely reliable, and get great gas mileage. (i'm almost at 250k miles right now, other than replacing the timing belt and a couple motor mounts have only done oil changes, knock on wood lol) and I average 32-35mpg depending on the time of year (worse mileage in the summer when AC is on).

Then buy something else to go fast. My personal opinion, you can't beat a 1st gen or 2nd gen DSM for money to power ratio...

but the protege isn't going to ever be "fast" unless you go all out, swap in something else like a probe/mx6 V6 drivetrain and turbo the new v6 setup.

Back