A potential new owner from Chile

joloriquelme

:
2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.5 AWD
Hi!

My name is Jolo, and I'm from Santiago, Chile. My wife and I we're planning to replace our current 2013 Mazda3 Sedan for a CX-5.

In Chile, Mazda, and all brands really (even Luxury) have very badly 'pre-configured' models at sale. So, you can't choose Packs or Trims with different transmissions or tractions like you can in other markets. Because of that, the CX-5 is available in only 8 'pre-configured' versions.

Resuming, the model that we're potentially buying is a "sort-of" GT:

- 2.0 engine (2.5 is the high-spec model along with the 2.2 Diesel and both are too expensive, nearly BMW X1 territory)
- Auto
- AWD
- Nearly all the extra-equipment is included (i-Stop, Bi-Xenon AFS, Bose, 5.8" touchscreen (without TomTom), Leather, Sunroof, Dual-Climate, Rear-Camera, 19" wheels, Power Seats etc.), EXCEPT the following, that are available only on the 2.5G/2.2D versions:
* Rear View Monitoring (RVM)
* Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) (don't know if this feature is available in USA or Canada)
* High Beam Control (HBC) (don't know if this feature is available in USA or Canada)

The other features not available even in 2.5G/2.2D models are:

* Smart City Brake System (well, that's a shame)
* Heated seats (also, a shame, but the winter isn't too cold anyway)
* HD radio & Pandora, SMS text, E911, HomeLink (not really needed)
* TomTom Navigation System (maps for TomTom are very bad here; I use my iPhone and Waze and it's far more better)

The 2.0 AT AWD "GT" costs USD$ 32.000 aprox.
The 2.5 AT AWD "GT" (with RVM, LDWS and HBC) costs USD$ 34.500 aprox.

We're investigating every aspect of the car, because we are planning to have it for at least 5 or 6 years. So, our main questions before buying this model are:

- We can't opt for the 2.5 engine. It's aprox. USD$ 2.600 more expensive than the 2.0. Is REALLY that slow when is fully loaded and you try to overpass a vehicle (like the reviews say), or it's something decent and we can live with it?
- How much time do you plan to have your car? The SkyActiv technology is something new, so the reilability is under test. We're planning to have it 5 or 6 years, and we calculate aprox. 60.000 miles.
- What gas octane or type you load on the CX-5? Here, Mazda Chile recommends 93 RON, for the CX-5 and the Mazda6 with SkyActiv (the new 3 will be launched this year).

Thank you very much for your opinions, and SORRY for my english!

Cheers,

Jolo.

Last edited:
Here in the US the 2.0L is weak compared to all other competitors. If you must get 2.0L, I would get the manual transmission so you can get the most power as possible to the road. Here in the US, reviews of 2.0L were generally poor, while 2.5L reviews have been top notch.

You may get the euro 14:1 compression engine, instead of the US 13:1 compression engine. This may help boost power a bit for you. In US we use 87 octane in CX-5 while europeans must run 93 octane.

IMO, the main reason the 2.5L feels so much more powerful than the 2.0L is the torque peaks. The 2.5L torque peak is 3250rpm while the 2.0L torque peak is 4000rpm. You have to rev the 2.0L much higher to get maximum torque. Because of 2.5L low torque peak it beats Rav4/CRV with 2.5L by a full second 0-60mph.

If I were in Chile, I would buy a stripped model with 2.5L automatic. If the 2.0L does frustrate you, the Bose radio is of little consequence.

The technology changes of the Skyactiv engine will be cheaper to maintain than turbo, diesel, or hybrid. I like the simplicity of CX-5 to achieve best in class MPG. Mazda developing 4-2-1 head that allows 13:1 compression with direct injection that gets amazing MPG.

Last edited:
Jolo, I have a 2013 CX-5 GT AWD with the 2.0L. Get it, it is fine as long as you're not planning to race, but other than that it is great. I live in Chicago but I'm Colombian, born and raised, so I know what you mean by "pre-configured" models in South America. Your English is great, by the way.

Jolo: Generally speaking, I agree with your countryman Caliche above when he says the 2.0l is fine for general use. I've had mine for well over a year and rarely feel in need of more power. However, one comment in your OP jumps out at me and that is :- We can't opt for the 2.5 engine. It's aprox. USD$ 2.600 more expensive than the 2.0. Is REALLY that slow when is fully loaded and you try to overpass a vehicle (like the reviews say), or it's something decent and we can live with it?There have been a couple of times when I've been on long mountain grades with three people in the car and a load of luggage that I've thought "This is when I could use that extra 30/30 hp/torque of the 2.5l!" $2600 is an awful lot to pay for the upgrade, but if you're going to load your CX-5 up frequently (which I don't do, fortunately), you might want to seriously consider it.

Thank you to all for the help and the opinions!

Based on your feedback, and even talks with friends and collaegues with other vehicles with big cars & small engines, and their experience loading and traveling with their families, we've decided to go definitely for the GT 2.5. I didn't mention it, but... my wife and I are happy new parents of a little baby girl, born only 6 months ago.

Today I've spoken with a co-worked who had previously a Hyundai Tucson (don't remember the year, I think it was 2011 or 2010). In Chile, even the full model was sold with a poor 2.0 engine instead of the 2.4. According to him, it really lacks power when it's fully loaded and he finally sold it.

Also, in our country the Mazda3 base model with the 1.6 engine (yes, 1.6, only 110 HP) is very popular. Obviously, it's a joke: Bad performance and bad MPG. Fortunately, we got the full 2.0 MZR (non-SkyActiv) engine with 5-speed auto & factory-installed paddle shiftters, and besides the poor MPG, it has very decent power.

So, we can't downgrade that. I'm really used to secure overpass without any trouble and when I want (even fully loaded).

Now, the big problem for us is sell the M3 to a new owner. Trading it directly with the CX-5 on the dealership "punish" the vehicle's value, even USD$ 1.200, the economic situation in the country is getting a little worse, so no one is buying expensive used cars. And... well, the cost itself of the CX-5 GT 2.5.

Sadly maybe we will have even to wait a few months. It was the perfect time because the introduction of the 2014.5 model with the new shift but at least we have a good car right now.

Once again, thanks a lot for the help! Expect me to stay in this forum because our plans are delayed, not cancelled!

Cheers.

Some say that life is too short for take the wrong decisions.

Or, better, some say that you have to enjoy the life.

After a month, we've decided to try to sell our M3 getting a good value. And we've succeded!

Today we've sold it, and next week, if everything goes right... We will go for the 2014.5 CX-5 GT 2.5 AWD!

We're still not decided about the color... white pearl or silver metalic. So far, the first is winning.

Cheers and thanks everyone for your opinions!

Jolo,
My understanding is that some Chilean driving is at quite high elevations. Another reason to get the 2.5...

Good luck with your purchase (and your new daughter!).

Today was the day! I finally ordered the car! White Mica is the color.

It's in transit to San Antonio's port. The arrival is at the end of the week. Delivery time to the little Ignacia (our baby): end of March.

Can't wait!

Congrats on the new CX-5 GT 2.5, and also the upcoming baby. The month of March will be very exciting for you!

Haha, already arrived seven months ago!
I was talking about the car! She will be the "owner"! :)

See? Sorry my english. :)

318aYjd.jpg

Got it, wow what a cute baby girl. She will like your CX-5.

I got my CX-5 in Mexico. Tambin pocas configuraciones. I got the 2.5 L engine and I live at about 1,500 m altitude. So far, no problems except the frustrating music playback with USB and Bluetooth and NB1 navigation system.

After 1 month 3 weeks, I'm getting usually around 8.8 L/100 km by the dash board calculator. City driving and going up the mountains fuel economy goes down. Driving down the mountains it goes back up again, so I really can't complain. Major highways here are in excellent condition and most major roads in larger cities are adequate, but in small towns roads are not even or cobblestones and traffic is constantly moving in and around parked vehicles and other blockages, but the CX-5 is very comfortable and I find it quiet.

Muchas felicidades! The CX-5 is a great car and I hope you and your family will love it as much as we do.

Finally, we got it! Delivered last friday. :)

Soon pictures.

So far, so good. :)

Even, the USB/Bluetooth problem are non-terrible for me. The 1-minute wait before the audio is ready... the minute that I go with the car out of the garage.

Also, I pick up a FM radiostation while I'm waiting for the iPod to be ready. And the "always-first-song" thing... I can live with it.

Our parents and friends loved it. We're so happy!

Cheers.

Back