A couple of questions for a new MZ3 owner

bluedingo

:
2014 i Sport
So I bought my iSport on the weekend and I just love how it looks, Im thinking of just having a few minor accessories added/changed to it. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

1st of all, If I wanted to get the parking sensors installed, what could I do/where could I go besides going to the dealer and paying $450?

2nd. Does anyone else have the problem (more annoyance really) that when you pull the trigger on the s*** stick to move/put in Park/Neutral the space between the stick and the trigger can pinch your fingers? Also, how hard is it to replace the shifter and can I find another one since you need to pull the trigger to unlock the stick?

And lastly, where can I go to get a custom badge/decal of the Mazda logo? And is it hard to remove the front and rear decals? I would love if I could get a decal that matches the paint of the car (I got reflex blue) or even black since ill be looking to some black rims a bit later on.

Also gratuitous photo:
S74aZlF.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
I installed the rear parking sensors myself and it took about 7 hours. You have to remove all of the trim on the left side of the car including the rear seat cushion. Then you also have to remove the rear bumper. The instructions that come with it are complete, but it takes a lot of time. While all of the trim was off, I also ran the wires for the subwoofer, LOC, and trailer wiring which added only an additional 15 minutes. You do need two people to remove the bumper and put it back on not because it is heavy but because it is so bulky. I also installed cheap front parking sensors which I have outlined in the How To section. Since I have the rear camera, the rear sensors really only help when I'm about to hit something I didn't see. The front sensors, however, are probably the best thing I've added to the car as the front of the car is difficult to see from the driver's seat. The front sensors are a lot easier to add, you don't have to remove any bumpers or trim, and they are cheap. It takes a little finesse to route the wire, but if you have the patience it is easy.

So to answer your question about the $450 -- that is rather cheap for the amount of time needed. What I learned is that if you want parking sensors in the future, order them from the factory when you buy the car. Then you don't pay any installation charge.

I don't have any problems with the automatic transmission shift and don't know what you mean by "decals". I also have Reflex Blue and really don't like black accents on that color (black looks good on red, white, and silver, however). I went in the opposite direction and added a chrome grille, chrome fog light trim, chrome trim around the upper part of the window and a chrome strip across the rear hatch. I also took off the Skyactiv badge and put a "GT" emblem in its place. I also added reflex blue side moldings and 2.5L emblems on both sides. My goal was make it look more like a Lexus -- which it does. In fact, people have mistaken this as a small Lexus crossover.
Why would you want to imitate another brand?

Because I like the way it looks. It makes a very good looking car that much better IMO. I like the combination of a better, more modern body style with the Mazda 3 with the finishing touches of a luxury car. Why get new rims or aero kits? Why debadge? Why even wash a car as it doesn't change its functionality? Why customize anything? I've even modified $100,000 Porsches I've owned. If you'll notice, I've also added a bunch of other things -- many of which are not necessary. I have the time and money to do these things and I enjoy finding things I like and installing them myself. The Bose system is pretty good, but I wanted to make it better with a subwoofer. I have a power outlet in the center console, but I wanted one that turned on with the ignition. I'm constantly changing/upgrading things in my home as well. I see something on HGTV and I'll install it.

That said, I do understand your point. But I've learned over the years that nothing is perfect (except for me, of course) and it's fun to try to make it better. Besides, while I like some of the finishing touches on a Lexus, I didn't want a car that feels numb to drive or was so quiet you don't "feel" the driving experience. My thrust on the 3 was to duplicate the feeling of the sports cars I drove in the 60's -- the feel of the open road, the quick steering response, and agile engine -- but to also have a modern looking vehicle with a lot of tech (which is also a hobby). Capish?

Not really, no.

Trust me, parking sensor is not $450. That is just the cost for the parts (you need the sensors + kit). Labor cost likely will double that!
You will be lucky if the dealer charge you $700-800 for that installed.

For pinching, it must be related to how you hold it. My wife and I neither has this problem.

For badge, it is personal taste. No comments from me.

I bought a parking sensor kit on eBay for $10, but instead of putting it in/on the car, I may mount it in my garage.
What I really want for my new 3 are a scan gauge II and a set of BC coilovers.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

I did parking sensors myself twice in the past with eBay parts (>$60) and DIY.
If you go OE after purchase, it will be expensive.

I feel sorry for you guys in the states. Had my parking sensors installed by the dealer. Total cost for sensors, paint matching color, and installation was $110US. Here's what they look like. never had a problem with the shifter.

What's the average yearly salary in Thailand? ....about $8500. That's most likely why a new car dealership cannot charge 1/10 of an annual salary to install parking sensors.

That's like paying $5000, here in the US!

What's the average yearly salary in Thailand? ....about $8500. That's most likely why a new car dealership cannot charge 1/10 of an annual salary to install parking sensors.

That's like paying $5000, here in the US!

Yea, minimum wage is about $10.00US. That would be $10 a day not an hour. Starting wage for a college graduate is about $500 a month. What I can't figure out is how so many people can afford a new vehicle as the prices of cars here are higher than the states.

Latest posts

Back