A/C erratic

:
2018 Mazda 3
I bought my CX-9 back in April of this year. Had to start using the A/C in June. When the CX-9 is sitting in the sun for a few hours getting it cooled down takes a while. I was out of town and went to Autozone and bought a freon bottle with gauge. The low pressure indicated it could use some freon.

I added a little bit at a time, monitoring the pressure and quickly the pressure spiked. I then thought to let some freon out from the low side while the engine was running using the hose from the bottle. I noticed a bit of air coming out and little freon. I'm wondering if the system had air in it? Last week I used my A/C manifold gauge and read 36 psi on low side and 227 psi on high side with outside temperature being 92F.

This seemed reasonable so yesterday I put a thermometer in the A/C vents as I ran errands. I noticed the side vents fluctuating from 45 to 48F while the center vent hovered around 43.5 - 45 F. I'm wondering if the blend door for the side vents isn't shutting all the way or if the blend door works for all vents simultaneously?

I asked the local Mazda technician about my A/C issue and the readings from the manifold gauges and temps from vents.
He said that wasn't enough information to justify looking for a problem.
So I told him that I would return next July and sit in a new CX-9 with a temp gauge to compare.
This is the worst A/C of any car I have ever owned.

I asked the local Mazda technician about my A/C issue and the readings from the manifold gauges and temps from vents.
He said that wasn't enough information to justify looking for a problem.
So I told him that I would return next July and sit in a new CX-9 with a temp gauge to compare.
This is the worst A/C of any car I have ever owned.

I hate lazy dealership techs. Any chance you have another dealership nearby that you could raise the issue with? There is also the option of escalating to Mazda Corporate in order to go over the dealership's head.

Back