pure conjecture here....

the older manifold way tiny runner/plennum size
stock vics/vts(?) largest overall volume, restictive flow
kens manifold, not as much volume as stock but signifcantly more flow
(or flow potential under boost)

N/A cars prob. run better on stock
FI... Kens option i would geuss

i have the protegegarage manifold N/A stock block, and i mostly noticed
a crisper throttle...ooo! and 3, count'em 3whp:) (just j/k ken)

pure conjecture here....

the older manifold way tiny runner/plennum size
stock vics/vts(?) largest overall volume, restictive flow
kens manifold, not as much volume as stock but signifcantly more flow
(or flow potential under boost)
Not true, earlier models do not have either VICS or VTCS, VICS was invented after 2001 i believe on 3rd gen proteges...

N/A cars prob. run better on stock
FI... Kens option i would geuss

i have the protegegarage manifold N/A stock block, and i mostly noticed
a crisper throttle...ooo! and 3, count'em 3whp:) (just j/k ken)

probably is a big word...
unless proven by a dyno, we can't really say which is better

it could be the case in which older manifolds actually perform better than ken's manifold and stock manifold...
unless they're dynoed on a benchmark on the same vehicle with the same mods we will never know

if i'm right..and the older 626 yields about the same gains as kens...well...that would make it easier for KEN to gather older manifolds, port and polish and sell at a lower price with imaginably more profits...

also, just about anyone could go a junk yard and get one...

if it doesnt work..well..tough luck for me...i can finally sleep at night thinking i tried something that eveyrone's been talking about and prove either wrng or right.

the only loser here will be me if this thing fails...sinc ei'll be out 30 to 50 bucks on the manifold...

well...lets just not jump to conclusions and wait for the final product...it may surprise many..

i said three dif. things there...not the old mani has the butterflys

and i did dyno my car twice with stock and 626 manifold from ken
and have around 20k miles on it

so like i said....a bit of conjecture

and if you factor your time as a cost...wich it truly is(time is money, cleaner, travel, searching, egr pipe for some, incidentals)
what are you truly saving

thats saying the oldschool mani yeilds anything('99 and older)

besides do as you please...but ya can't post with no replys now can we

sorry dude, but i don't know what you are talking about

in my previous post, i never said "shut the **** up, you ******* asshole and go post somehwre else you ***", now did i?

so, of course the thread is open to discussion, i just won't base my experiment on assumptions and Look-Likes...if scientists and many othe rinventors did just that, we would had never had electricity, cars and such

so, regardless of what you say...i am going to do it

because if it pays off, my time would be paid by those who are going to thank me for trying something new...
unlike you, who do as you are told, i like to be different and take risks, even if this manifold blows my engine..so what..is just an engine, nothing else....is not like i'm gonna die or something

up to a couple of weeks ago i thought i had no car....so...it doesn't matter

so, if you gonna keep posting your negative comments about this project, i would kidly ask you to not read it (because either way you won't need it sinc eyou already spent alot of money on a intake manifold) and all you just be doing is pissing people, that like me; are expecting the result of this project.

don't take it bad....but we're trying to have a nice conversation about a project that many are very excited about...sorry if you dont feel that way

i think even KEN, who at one point thought i was taking his business away, is now helping out by suppling part numbers and probably expecting a result from this, because he too, can sell this manifolds wihtout a problem...

shabaka said:
i said three dif. things there...not the old mani has the butterflys

and i did dyno my car twice with stock and 626 manifold from ken
and have around 20k miles on it

so like i said....a bit of conjecture

and if you factor your time as a cost...wich it truly is(time is money, cleaner, travel, searching, egr pipe for some, incidentals)
what are you truly saving

thats saying the oldschool mani yeilds anything('99 and older)

besides do as you please...but ya can't post with no replys now can we

so, searching around i've quoted 626's manis..the same ken offers for 160$
now, this is a gambling, since most people who have bought these complain about getting them with the VICS or VTCS or something different from what ken offers

so, proly the one i quoted also has this devices...

i'm still hopping to get the 626 mani sometimes in the next 2 weeks...

the project is on hold for the holidays..but i havent forgotten...
i'm also dynoing my car on jan 14, so maybe i'll use that as a base, i wish i had time to dyno both stock and the oldschool 626 mani....$$$?

Alejo_NIN said:
i think even KEN, who at one point thought i was taking his business away, is now helping out by suppling part numbers and probably expecting a result from this, because he too, can sell this manifolds wihtout a problem...

whoa whoa whoa!

i never thought you were trying to take business away from me. what i took issue with was when i felt you were insinuating i was selling used or junkyard manifolds for 300+ or that at the price i was gouging people. i have no issue with what you are doing here, i was just a little hurt because i felt in one of your earlier posts you were taking a shot at me unfairly, which you said you were not. i also provided the part number so that anyone here can go to dealer and get a quote on it. they'll find out, after i include gaskets and EGR, just how much profit i am not making on it :)

the part numbers i provided are good only on the 2000 to 2002 mazda 626, federal emissions, four cylinders according to the catalog. 1998 to 2000 had the FS-DE engine as well but a differently cataloged manifold.

Ken, come on....we spoke about this on the phone

i agree, maybe not the best choice of words...what i meant to say was exactly what you explained...

I'm not about to go behind anyone back in order to make a profit....
anyways, we spoke about this on the phone and we both agreed it was good research :)
i hope you still think the same...

if not, gimme a call any time so we can ARGUE about it..lol..j/k...so we can talk about it.

I don't even know if the manifold is gonna work...
and like someone else in here stated before..it might be a waste of time...even tho i don't think so coz we can finally put a lid on the subject
"all i see is pre2000 manifolds...cna i use one of those?"

Hey ken...i really like you dude...
you have been alot of help..and i think i've showed my support more than once

keep up the good business....

take care
Captain KRM P5 said:
whoa whoa whoa!

i never thought you were trying to take business away from me. what i took issue with was when i felt you were insinuating i was selling used or junkyard manifolds for 300+ or that at the price i was gouging people. i have no issue with what you are doing here, i was just a little hurt because i felt in one of your earlier posts you were taking a shot at me unfairly, which you said you were not. i also provided the part number so that anyone here can go to dealer and get a quote on it. they'll find out, after i include gaskets and EGR, just how much profit i am not making on it :)

the part numbers i provided are good only on the 2000 to 2002 mazda 626, federal emissions, four cylinders according to the catalog. 1998 to 2000 had the FS-DE engine as well but a differently cataloged manifold.

Alejo_NIN said:
Ken, come on....we spoke about this on the phone

i agree, maybe not the best choice of words...what i meant to say was exactly what you explained...

I'm not about to go behind anyone back in order to make a profit....
anyways, we spoke about this on the phone and we both agreed it was good research :)
i hope you still think the same...

if not, gimme a call any time so we can ARGUE about it..lol..j/k...so we can talk about it.

I don't even know if the manifold is gonna work...
and like someone else in here stated before..it might be a waste of time...even tho i don't think so coz we can finally put a lid on the subject
"all i see is pre2000 manifolds...cna i use one of those?"

Hey ken...i really like you dude...
you have been alot of help..and i think i've showed my support more than once

keep up the good business....

take care

its all good man, you have done plenty and then some. always appreciated. i still feel the same and wanted to make sure you did too. i read the part about stealing business and wanted make sure you didn't really feel that way, you know i am not like that :)

i am interested to see the outcome of your work.

low_psi said:
The fuel rail mounting is different, aswell as the injector bung size.

I have the 626-style IM from SU and have this problem.
And the EGR alignment.

i care about the injector placement...don't care much about the EGR
it gives me an idea
i shall buy the manifold with it's fuel rail...HOW CLEVER IS THAT!

has anyone checked to see if there is an aftermarket intake mani for the 626? or has mazda been left out of the entire aftermarket scene except for the rx models

mazdaspeedwerx said:
if the mani comes with vics vcts cant you just remove them? I am looking for a mani also so this was all very helpfull.
yes and no

removing the vtcs helps, but it also doens't

why?
well, the engine uses the short runners to create air velocity in order to get betetr throttle response and low end torque (???)
it also used the longer runners for high rpms and to create torque and hp at those rpms

this was all dandy and good for N/A engines!!!

We're turbocharged! we need the least amount of restrictions and bends and s*** in the way.
removing VTCS and VICS helps this, but at the same time hurts low end torque before hitting boost.

so, go for the PROTEGEGRAGE.COM Intake Manifold, is worth it

UPDATE!!!
i purchased the intake manifold..
waiting for test fitting tomorrow...i'll keep you guys updated

Latest posts

Back