5 things I hate...

I like the Mazda diesel but dislike the fact that every revision has increased weight, and if the info I've seen is correct it will go over 1800kg in the UK in September.
Yes the revised diesel will have 184ps and 445nm, but the power to weight is still around or less than my 2015 car, mines also better than the 1750kg 2017 Mazda car.

Dislike the lack of AA, a 7 speed or more auto, no sport button, and a poor stick on the dash nav which is average at best. And it looks smaller than my built in version, size should be increase same as Tucson and Tiguan at 8", the later has an option for an upgrade to 9.5" and a better nav, along with a 12.5" active display.

So I've put in an order for a 190ps SEL Tiguan...

Can't think of 5 things I "hate", but here's my list of negatives:
1. Infotainment
2. Brakes
3. Could use more engine grunt
4. Could use more lateral grip (seems under-tired)
5. Suspension is a bit soft

I know it's a CUV not a sports car, but after hearing/reading all the talk about Mazda's driving dynamics, I'm just not too impressed with the performance.

Things I like:
1. Styling
2. Steering feel
3. HUD
4. 40/20/40 folding rear seat
5. Blind spot monitoring

^yep^ Doesn*t take long to realize the company motto,Zoom Zoom,should really be All Show,No Go...

Definitely agree...we swapped out the oem pizza cutters for some 20" lighter wheels (about 6 lbs each) with some much better tires and it definitely helped. However, it highlighted that the front end suspension is pretty well buttoned down, but the rear is too loose and the shock rebound is too soft. During aggressive smooth cornering, all is OK, but any pavement imperfections, the rear end definitely feels disconnected from the front. This is my next focus point, either some Eibach springs or some coilovers.

3) Having to unlock the doors after pushing the open button the trunk. Mostly a problem if I have passengers and I'm loading something in the trunk. They need to wait for me to unload and get out the fob or for me to walk around and push the button.

There is a lock/unlock button on the back hatch/trunk. You can unlock all doors from there when you are back there and allow your passengers to get in the car.

Definitely agree...we swapped out the oem pizza cutters for some 20" lighter wheels (about 6 lbs each) with some much better tires and it definitely helped. However, it highlighted that the front end suspension is pretty well buttoned down, but the rear is too loose and the shock rebound is too soft. During aggressive smooth cornering, all is OK, but any pavement imperfections, the rear end definitely feels disconnected from the front. This is my next focus point, either some Eibach springs or some coilovers.

Sway bar

Last edited:
There is a lock/unlock button on the back hatch/trunk. You can unlock all doors from there when you are back there and allow your passengers to get in the car.

That's not how mine works. The hatch button is for locking only. It won't unlock. From the manual: "All doors and the liftgate can be locked/unlocked by pressing the request switch on the front doors while the key is being carried. The request switch on the liftgate can only be used to lock all doors and the liftgate."

You haven't seen BMW's. The video quality is worlds better. Although the one I saw it on was my buddies like $90,000 BMW. I would expect that to blow the Mazda away.
//Edit//
#3 Agree on that stupid tray in the center console for 16. What a s*** design.
I stand corrected!

Can't think of 5 things I "hate", but here's my list of negatives:
1. Infotainment
2. Brakes
3. Could use more engine grunt

I know it's a CUV not a sports car, but after hearing/reading all the talk about Mazda's driving dynamics, I'm just not too impressed with the performance.

Things I like:
1. Styling
2. Steering feel
3. HUD
4. 40/20/40 folding rear seat
5. Blind spot monitoring
They soften the suspension on a count of feedback from owners and the general public

I used to have issue 1 you described, but since running the newest system software, it always resumes from where it left off.

With regards to the second, it should automatically sort the folders alphabetically with the newer system software. I know the older versions used to sort the folders by last modified (which was super annoying).

I love most everything about the car, and it's been great overall. Handles like a dream for what it is, every so often it surprises me when I take a corner a bit too fast and it just takes it in stride. 2 years in and the only time we've had to take it in (outside of regular service) was for the center console latch snapping.

Here's my list of 5 things:

1. Paint is thin, as it does seem to chip fairly easily.
2. USB ports on the front take forever to charge any device
3. Sport mode sometimes holds the gears way too long. When I'm cruising around the city at around 60km/h, I feel like it should down shift after a little while but it still holds the same gear at high rpms.
4. defroster for front wipers (I know they have this on newer models). There's been a few times in winter that the wipers have gotten iced a bit when used intermittently.
5. I wish the volume would be reduced back to a reasonable level after turning off the car and then getting back in. Nothing worse than forgetting to turn it down before getting out, only to get in later and have it start blaring right off the bat.
You do know that sports mode is not actually for cruising around in...

I never understood sport mode in the cx5. My jeep had one except it was called a tow mode. Meh.
Not that complicated. Keep engine in optimum rev range for overtaking or going up/down winding roads in this case more enthusiastic driving

Here is my list of hates for the 2018 model;
1. Not enough internal storage. There is heaps of room under the front seats. What not have a pull out tray.
2. No glove box light, or even centre console light.
3. HVAC system has 2 buttons for recycling the air, most cars have one.
4. HVAC buttons and parking sensor switch is illuminated orange when on. Orange is normally used as a cautionary colour and green is on. Confusing combination.
5. Poor quality forward and reverse cameras. Though the 360 camera layout makes up for it.

I could keep going and mention the arm rest, fuel flap, elements of the MZD system, etc. but one could read into it as if its all bad. Its not. In fact its a great car, and this is coming from someone who owned BMWs and Mercedes.

1. Not enough internal storage. There is heaps of room under the front seats. What not have a pull out tray.
4. HVAC buttons and parking sensor switch is illuminated orange when on. Orange is normally used as a cautionary colour and green is on. Confusing combination.
5. Poor quality forward and reverse cameras. Though the 360 camera layout makes up for it.

I could keep going and mention the arm rest, fuel flap, elements of the MZD system, etc. but one could read into it as if its all bad. Its not. In fact its a great car, and this is coming from someone who owned BMWs and Mercedes.
Regarding point 3, it's actually one button for recycle air. The other button to the left is for fresh air to come in.

Regarding point 4 yes it's the same colour but the front parking sensor button on mine is on the bottom right hand side of the dashboard well away from HVAC system.

I'm happy with cameras. Can see ok during the day, inside car parks and at night. Of course it could always be better and I would be for it as well but the current system, does the job. Each to their own

I've never heard anyone complain about the center console box not having a light. How much s*** ya got in there? [emoji1][emoji23][emoji1]

On and ew: his point #3. Mist cars have one button, not 2. Recirc on
..or off. Does seem odd now that he mentions it to have 2. If that's a complaint though... Lol. Really trying hard to find them.

Last edited:
The thing about the light in the center console could be about the USB's. At first it's hard to see and plug in the USB stick. After you get used to it it's ok but I've seen other SUV's with lights around the USB receptacles, making it easier to plug in.

I could keep going and mention the arm rest, fuel flap, elements of the MZD system, etc. but one could read into it as if it*s all bad. It*s not. In fact it*s a great car, and this is coming from someone who owned BMW*s and Mercedes.
Regarding point 3, it's actually one button for recycle air. The other button to the left is for fresh air to come in.

Regarding point 4 yes it's the same colour but the front parking sensor button on mine is on the bottom right hand side of the dashboard well away from HVAC system.

I'm happy with cameras. Can see ok during the day, inside car parks and at night. Of course it could always be better and I would be for it as well but the current system, does the job. Each to their own
Agree with Hakuri*s list #1 ~ #4, but don*t know the #5 as we don*t get integrated front and rear parking sensors and 360 view in the US.

To #1, Mazda hasn*t been known for good interior space utilization. And most CUVs and minivans have a under-seat drawer at least under front passenger seat.

To #2, I also wish there*s a light in center console front cubby area for USB ports (on gen-1 CX-5) like I*ve seen in a Kia rental.

To #3, most vehicles use only one button for recycle air, off for outside air. Using two buttons for a single function is a waste. We also have to look down often making sure which one is which for this 2-button system.

To #4, orange indicators for HVAC buttons are indeed confusing. Button indicators not directly on the buttons themselves is not logical either. Orange indeed is normally used as a cautionary color. And these rectangular LED indicators look cheap too. These light indicators should be directly on the buttons, or integrated into LCD HVAC function graph.

1. No locking storage.
2. Im 55. Armrest is too low and too far back.
3. No ACP yet.
4. Braking could be better.
5. Rear suspension too soft.

Having owned Volvos and Acuras for the last 30 years, Im quite please by this vehicle overall.

Back