5 things I hate...

Coin storage here in Oz land would be redundant as all tolls here are now electronic
We also get front parking sensors.

Thinks I hate
1. Auto door lock doesn't work if you walk away from your car too quickly, or if the rear gate is closing while you're walking away
2. Voice recognition is 100% useless, and does not work 100% of the time
3. Paint chips easily
4. Lack of AA/ACP
5. Slow charging front USB ports

Thinks I love
1. Bose audio
2. Smooth/quite ride
3. USB ports for rear passengers
4. Body style/Soul Red Crystal color
5. Rear camera motion sensor

Coin storage here in Oz land would be redundant as all tolls here are now electronic
We also get front parking sensors.
You don't pay cash at drive up windows?
@Sjtilney Voice works but it's so clunky to do anything. I've tried it a few times.
Switch to FM works. Switch to a certain station works. Even putting in a destination works if you word it perfectly. Navigate home is the only one that's easy. But it is hard and clunky. Good word for it.

Last edited:
In response to OP
1. 18' is moved up to under the dash. Either way isn't a big deal
2. Never noticed. Not an issue for me.
3. Not a concern. Sometimes I press the button when its already unlocked and it beeps at me but that's my own fault
4. Would be a nice to have. Not sure I'd want to pay extra for it.
5. Not having one is one less thing to keep organized

Here are my top 5.
1. The lane assist is not adjustable and it is wayyy too conservative
2. The walk away key fob is extremely sensitive to magnetism and other electrical interference. It also have a limited range. It only works 75% of the time for me
3. As mentioned in an earlier post the sports mode is too aggressive once you hit 80-85mph. It'll hold at around 5.5K RPM even once the speed stabilizes
4. The trunk button doesn't work while the car is running but in Park. Hopefully I'm missing something here but I use it when I drop other people off and right now I have to completely turn the car off
5. Perhaps its a phone issue/software issue but about 50% of the time the alert will tell me I'm getting a message from the wrong person (usually people i haven't talked to in years)
Bonus: Entering info into the Nav makes the nav almost useles.... but its not part of the list because i usually just use my phone.

Things I love
Adaptive Cruise Control
Auto High Beams
Next Cross Road Feature on Dash
Great Styling Exterior and Interior
Seat Release for all seats in the trunk

The trunk won*t unlock while the doors are locked to stop somebody rifling your stuff while stood st a light. You*ll have to unlock your doors first then try pressing the trunk release (while in park).

Dislikes:
1) Brake pedal too close to gas pedal.
2) Seats a bit hard. (Not terrible, but a bit)
3) Drivers seat doesnt go back far enough.
4) Coins can go in tray in console, but no place to put large stacks of bills.
5) I have no large stacks of bills.

2) Faster than my wifes car.
3) Decent visibility.
4) Adaptive cruise control.
5) Handles well.

Just my .02

Thanks to everyone who explained the hatch/lock issue. There's always something new to be learned in this forum!

Has anyone tried to drive with the hatch open?!!! Hint- it don't like it!

I actually like how conservative lane assist is. I get pissed sometimes when it goes off when I don*t want it to because of the way the lines are painted with merging sometimes. I*m glad it*s not so intrusive. But I do agree I wish the sensitivity could be adjusted.

I like the way it's calibrated, too. The manual says it's supposed to respond when you're 2" from the line, IIR. Seems just right to me.
The driver can't adjust the sensitivity, but the dealer can at least make sure the camera's aimed properly.

Maybe have button to unlock doors on rear doors as well would be nice

Thinks I hate
1. No Audio/Music delay when shutting off the CX-5
2. Front USB ports are primarily for DATA, which compromises recharge speed
3. Passenger exterior mirror doesn't dip on reverse
4. a)MazdaNA's 'add on park sensors' still aren't integrated into the MZD are they?
b)No front/rear option
5. ....waiting on ACP

Thinks I love
1. HUD
2. Peppy
3. Heated seats
4. More sophisticated looking body
5. Blind Spot Audio warning.

Honorable Mention: I own a very well appointed '18 BMW X-3. MAZDA executes blind spot warning BETTER than BMW. Just think about this, there are FOUR warnings for blind spot. 1) Mirrors, 2) Instrument cluster (if you are viewing the ACC screen), 3) inside the HUD, 4) AND the audio warning. BMW only has the visual warning in the mirrors....that's it.

Last edited:
Thinks I hate
1. No Audio/Music delay when shutting off the CX-5
2. Front USB ports are primarily for DATA, which compromises recharge speed
3. Passenger exterior mirror doesn't dip on reverse
4. a)MazdaNA's 'add on park sensors' still aren't integrated into the MZD are they?
b)No front/rear option
5. ....waiting on ACP

Thinks I love
1. HUD
2. Peppy
3. Heated seats
4. More sophisticated looking body
5. Blind Spot Audio warning.

Honorable Mention: I own a very well appointed '18 BMW X-3. MAZDA executes blind spot warning BETTER than BMW. Just think about this, there are FOUR warnings for blind spot. 1) Mirrors, 2) Instrument cluster (if you are viewing the ACC screen), 3) inside the HUD, 4) AND the audio warning. BMW only has the visual warning in the mirrors....that's it.

360 view camera would make point 3 redundant. Maybe next update will spread this world wide :)

Would also be good if there was an actual off button for audio system

360 view camera would make point 3 redundant. Maybe next update will spread this world wide :)

Would also be good if there was an actual off button for audio system

THAT is one thing BMW is superior on, it's a seamless view and you can rotate around the exterior of the vehicle as if you were looking at it from outside. TBH though, I still use the mirror when backing into my garage. I don't rely solely on the 360 view camera on that. I still haven't brought myself to use the self parking feature.

THAT is one thing BMW is superior on. TBH though, I still use the mirror when backing into my garage. I don't rely solely on the 360 view camera on that.
Superior there but not here (wink)

I also use my mirrors as well as looking over my shoulder

Yeah on the 18 the fuel cap release isnt that low, its moved up. Not really a big deal when you get used to it. Does feel flimsy though.

My 18 has front and rear parking sensors. Theyre really useful actually. Only ever had rear before.

I find the centre armrest fine. But Im 6ft4, so my seat is back far enough for it to be useful.

My only gripes are (and this is seriously nit picking):

1. You can use the green handset lift button to actually call like on a mobile. You can use it to open a list of contacts but cant press it again to dial the selected contact
2. Agree that the mute button should be on the steering wheel
3. Boot could do with being higher when open. Again, Im quite tall.
4. Piano black elements scratch easily. Ive already got swirls on mine - I bought the car new two months ago.
5. HUD is great - feel like they could do more with it though. Id like to see the gear change displayed there instead.

I really like the car. Ive had a lot of complements on it. There arent many of the 2017/18 ones on the road in the U.K. They look quite distinctive.

5 things I hate about the CX5:
1. Fuel door. Wish I didn't have to release it from low location on dash. Would prefer just having to push the fuel door to open.
2. Center armrest is more of an elbow rest. Not much storage space inside. Wish the top slid forward.
3. Having to press a button on door handle to lock/unlock. Many cars you just place your hand at a particular location to lock or unlock.
4. No front parking aid. Would be nice to have a warning for how close you are to object in front.
5. No coin storage... seems to me there's space by the left knee they could have a flip down tray. I use the tray in center console now.
Overall I like the car a lot. The pros far outweigh these 5 above.

1. windshield is trash. Safelite has lasted much longer than the two OEM that preceded it.
2. road noise. It's like a Corvette from the 90s without any of the power.
3. Miles per gallon on the freeway only hits EPA rating at 60mpg.
4. Cheap feeling exterior shakes and vibrates annoyingly above 70 and in a worrisome way above 90.
5. NAV requires 500 dollar module, no XM, no Sirius, bluetooth integration is glitchy as hell, phone calls have terrible quality on the listeners end.

Things I love.

1. Cheap to maintain
2. Reliable.
3. Takes 87 oct.
4. Awd is surprisingly competent in snow and on ice.
5. Performance is good for what it is, especially handling given ground clearance and price point.

Last edited:
HUD on CX-9 used to show tachometer if memory serves but an update removed it on account of too much info (uhm)

Hence not on CX-5 either

Did I mention that my CX-5 chimes telling me to put a seat belt when i have a cell phone charger on the passenger seat? Afaik - no state in USA mandates seat belt for cell phone chargers. That sensor is finicky.

Back