2024 CX-5 US announcement

Although it didn't quite look like the above color, in 1985 I bought a new VW Jetta. The color was called Polar Silver Metallic and was between a champagne and a silver. A nice color I would have liked to have again.
Similar color to my 2000 VW Passat. It was called Satin Silver. It mostly appeared silver but in sunlight it had a gold luster to it. My 2011 Golf TDI which was Reflex Silver was pretty similar to my Sonic Silver CX-5. My last VW 2017 Golf was Tungsten Silver. It was darker than the Reflex Silver & close to my son's 2016 Mazda 3 which is Liquid Silver.

In my local area I don't see nearly as many silver CX-5's as the other colors.

I had the GL. A GLI would have been nice but there wasn't much selection on the dealers lot in August 1985 when a company transfer took me to California. The Toyota and Honda dealers were adding 2-3K markup, and already being familiar with driving the Golf version , went down the road to VW. Had been sent to Germany for training the prior year and given use of a new Golf (company car). Found out that the Golf would max out at 180 KPH ( ~ 110 mph) on the Autobahn and that beer was served in 1 liter glass steins at the Oktoberfest in Munich. Travel is so broadening. Oh, to be young again. Welp, time to go drive fast and listen to "Radar Love". LOL. Over and out.
I usually want to get the top of line model with every possible features I want directly from factory. I wanted the Jetta GLI at the time because it was assemblied in Germany not like the Golf from Mexico. I planned to special order one but my VW dealer found one I wanted from another VW dealer and drove it over through the dealer trade. That’s a lesson I learned, not to do that anymore to let someone who doesn’t care about new car break-in and drives your brand new vehicle for 50 ~ 100 miles over on the highway!

Similar color to my 2000 VW Passat. It was called Satin Silver. It mostly appeared silver but in sunlight it had a gold luster to it. My 2011 Golf TDI which was Reflex Silver was pretty similar to my Sonic Silver CX-5. My last VW 2017 Golf was Tungsten Silver. It was darker than the Reflex Silver & close to my son's 2016 Mazda 3 which is Liquid Silver.

In my local area I don't see nearly as many silver CX-5's as the other colors.
We sure have plenty of ex-VW owners here! My previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6 with 5-speed manual was in Reflex Silver Metallic. It’s a bit darker than my Jetta’s Diamond Silver Metallic, but it’s a bit lighter than Sonic Silver Metallic on my CX-5.

We sure have plenty of ex-VW owners here! My previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6 with 5-speed manual was in Reflex Silver Metallic. It’s a bit darker than my Jetta’s Diamond Silver Metallic, but it’s a bit lighter than Sonic Silver Metallic on my CX-5.
Yep! I've had a 1976 Rabbit in Chocolate Brown (I don't remember the exact color name) and a 2004.5 VW Passat Wagon 4Motion 1.8T in Stonehenge Gray (silvery green); no more VW for me as I got burned twice. Back to the Platinum Quartz discussion, VW had a similar color on the 1st gen Tiguan and possibly other models appropriately called White Gold. GM too on large recent Buick sedans. I suppose prospective buyers of a 2024 CX-5 can see for themselves if they like this color or not, personally I wouldn't mind I've never had a similar color before.

i wish i had one of the older ones. my mom had a 95 jetta gl in the beige color that was nice (especially after they repainted it under warranty). car felt peppy back then, even with the 4 speed auto. would probably feel downright anemic today. i later had a decontented '12 jetta se auto with the 2.5 litre I-5 that i liked. the car was grey, and apparently grey VWs are dent and scratch magnets. it was a nice color for a grey nonetheless. later had a '16 golf se with the 1.8 turbo which was even quicker. dark blue which i regretted getting to an extent. wished i had gotten the dark silver, and a sportwagen. car was 10 times nicer than the jetta though.

The silver stitching on the Nappa Caturra leather might be a nice change but the other new silver exterior bits are no improvement...they call attention to areas that look better in black or body color and are going in the opposite direction of other manufacturers now offering blacked-out trim.
I also just noticed that the body colored Signature cladding is now standard on all non-turbo models with the exception of the the flat black cladding of the 2.5S Carbon. The other 2 turbo models get gloss black there. That's more in line with the 60, 90, (and 70) to go with the 5s redesigned lighting done back in 2022. Is that an indication that Mazda may be keeping the CX-5 around for more than one or 2 more years?

Gen 1 lasted 4 years while Gen 2 is already in it's 8th year with the 2024 introduction, how time flies! Besides the addition of the turbo in 2019 and the mild refresh in 2022, there were only small changes to the infotainment system and suspension tuning, new colors, new wheels, new trims, etc. Time for Gen 3 if it ever makes here in North America.

Back