2024 CX-5 US announcement

I put it on in 2020 when I bought the car (CPO)…car got totaled (few months ago) and when I went to see it it recently…still looked good. I applied 2 coats of the stuff. One bottle was adequate. Use microfiber cloths to apply.

Silver is still available (in the US), it's just called Platinum Quartz Metallic now. The color swatch on the builder is off, it looks more like a champagne color, but when you select it, it's just a different tone of silver than Sonic Silver.

Still, $4,500 is a big difference. Not complaining, just find it interesting. None of those small equipment changes are worth that much money, IMO.
I saw a Mazda 3 in person in broad daylight at my dealer with the Platinum Quartz Metallic paint and yes, it's more like champagne, not silver and it looks very nice!

I saw a Mazda 3 in person in broad daylight at my dealer with the Platinum Quartz Metallic paint and yes, it's more like champagne, not silver and it looks very nice!
It's like a mix of silver and gold or light sand metallic. In low light conditions, it would look like silver. There's and old saying in French perhaps @Antoine and others who speak the language will understand "La nuit tous les chats sont gris". Loosely translated "At night all cats are gray" 🐈‍⬛

Yes, you’re right! And there’s no more Sonic Silver Metallic available for 2024 CX-5 anymore.

My 2016 CX-5 is Sonic Silver Metallic. And I like silver color and have been purchasing new silver vehicles since 1980’s. The lighter silver color helps to lower interior temperature a bit in hot Texas. And silver hides the dirt the best and I don’t have to wash the car very often.
Platinum Quartz Metallic should hide the dirt just as well as silver and keep the vehicle cooler as well. In 50 years of driving, I've had many white, pearl white, white, pale silvery green for the same reasons.

Interestingly, the base price of a CX-5 is now more than $4,500 USD lower in Canada than in the US.
Very strange decision not to offer silver, one of the most popular colors.
don't forget we don't get the gx trim level down here.

I would love the new infotainment set up but other than that I am already getting that mpg in my 2023 turbo.

I have never seen a silver one so I am guessing it is not one of the most popular colors, altho I personally like silver best just never see cx5 in silver. where I live it is red, blue and black and white
i think the silver looks nice on the cx-5 (and other suv models). it's not a blue or purple tinged silver, maybe a slightly dark silver (grey tinge?). i personally like honda's lunar silver metallic (purple tinge) and subaru's ice silver metallic (blue tinge) better, but the plainer silver still looks good on the mazda suvs. i prefer the red and white personally, though.

edit: i chose a pic of a silver euro cx-5 to show how nice the silver can look in certain lighting; we still get the silver car here in the states, just not as popular as most other colors as far as i can tell.
edit 2: looks like we don't get the silver cx-5 anymore...:(

Attachments

• silver cx-5.jpg
    silver cx-5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
i think the silver looks nice on the cx-5 (and other suv models). it's not a blue or purple tinged silver, maybe a slightly dark silver (grey tinge?). i personally like honda's lunar silver metallic (purple tinge) and subaru's ice silver metallic (blue tinge) better, but the plainer silver still looks good on the mazda suvs. i prefer the red and white personally, though.

edit: i chose a pic of a silver euro cx-5 to show how nice the silver can look in certain lighting; we still get the silver car here in the states, just not as popular as most other colors as far as i can tell.
edit 2: looks like we don't get the silver cx-5 anymore...:(
I have owned a couple of lunar silver Hondas and I have a billet silver Ram which would be a great color for a cx5. I have a rhodium white cx5 and it is ok.

Silver is still available (in the US), it's just called Platinum Quartz Metallic now. The color swatch on the builder is off, it looks more like a champagne color, but when you select it, it's just a different tone of silver than Sonic Silver.
My 2019 GTR is Sonic Silver. It is actually slightly lighter than my son's 2016 Mazda 3 which is Liquid Silver. My brother in law just ordered a Platinum Quartz CX-90. After seeing that color in person at the dealer I'd say it leans more toward a light champagne than a pure silver.

My 2019 GTR is Sonic Silver. It is actually slightly lighter than my son's 2016 Mazda 3 which is Liquid Silver. My brother in law just ordered a Platinum Quartz CX-90. After seeing that color in person at the dealer I'd say it leans more toward a light champagne than a pure silver.

My 2019 is Sonic Silver too. The builder image of PQ looks silver:

silver22.jpg

The pictures of the 90 in this color look nothing like the builder. Totally different color.

090175a7037b41719fdb81044eeac0a7.jpg

Last edited:
Sonic Silver would have been my second choice had it been available when I bought mine. Shame.

Speaking of silver, I see the '24 Turbo Sig now has silver grille, side-view mirrors, rear "diffuser", and front "chin" trim.

If I needed another CUV, we'll, yep I'd buy it again. That being said, I'll take my '23 with black in those places. My beard and hair seem to be starting to go salt-and-pepper, I don't need one of my cars doing that too.

Speaking of silver, I see the '24 Turbo Sig now has silver grille, side-view mirrors, rear "diffuser", and front "chin" trim.
The silver stitching on the Nappa Caturra leather might be a nice change but the other new silver exterior bits are no improvement...they call attention to areas that look better in black or body color and are going in the opposite direction of other manufacturers now offering blacked-out trim.

Last edited:
The silver stitching on the Nappa Caturra leather might be a nice change but the other new silver exterior bits are no improvement...they call attention to areas that look better in black or body color and are going in the opposite of other manufacturers now offering blacked-out trim.
I concur. Stitching looks good.

8bc2a9cd33c0914e11ea0c0978129417.png

Not quite silver, not quite champagne, somewhere in between.
Although it didn't quite look like the above color, in 1985 I bought a new VW Jetta. The color was called Polar Silver Metallic and was between a champagne and a silver. A nice color I would have liked to have again.

Although it didn't quite look like the above color, in 1985 I bought a new VW Jetta. The color was called Polar Silver Metallic and was between a champagne and a silver. A nice color I would have liked to have again.
I also bought a new 1985 VW Jetta GLI 1.8L 5-speed manual in “Diamond Silver Metallic”. I liked the color very much which is lighter than the Sonic Silver Metallic on my 2016 CX-5 GT.

I also bought a new 1985 VW Jetta GLI 1.8L 5-speed manual in “Diamond Silver Metallic”. I liked the color very much which is lighter than the Sonic Silver Metallic on my 2016 CX-5 GT.
I had the GL. A GLI would have been nice but there wasn't much selection on the dealers lot in August 1985 when a company transfer took me to California. The Toyota and Honda dealers were adding 2-3K markup, and already being familiar with driving the Golf version , went down the road to VW. Had been sent to Germany for training the prior year and given use of a new Golf (company car). Found out that the Golf would max out at 180 KPH ( ~ 110 mph) on the Autobahn and that beer was served in 1 liter glass steins at the Oktoberfest in Munich. Travel is so broadening. Oh, to be young again. Welp, time to go drive fast and listen to "Radar Love". LOL. Over and out.

Back