2024 CX-5 US announcement

Interestingly, the base price of a CX-5 is now more than $4,500 USD lower in Canada than in the US.
Very strange decision not to offer silver, one of the most popular colors.

Interestingly, the base price of a CX-5 is now more than $4,500 USD lower in Canada than in the US.
May be the inflation is lower in Canada than in the US? The US price for all Mazda OEM parts has gone up significantly in recent days, while it isn’t in Canada. One example is you can get Mazda ATF FZ at the Canadian online seller (ie Mazdashop) much cheaper than any of the US online sellers.

In the announcement those colors listed are “premium paint colors” for additional cost, unless you saw some color information somewhere else?

I believe the silver metallic will be there, just without additional cost.

I would love the new infotainment set up but other than that I am already getting that mpg in my 2023 turbo.
I have never seen a silver one so I am guessing it is not one of the most popular colors, altho I personally like silver best just never see cx5 in silver. where I live it is red, blue and black and white

Glad I got my 23 Turbo when I did. What was the second highest trim (with turbo) is now a step down. The base turbo in 23 was the best bang for the buck to get high trim options such as Bose and heated steering wheel, to name a couple. And you could do that for under $40K. That’s what sold me. Now you have to go north of 40 to get those options. I hope Mazda doesn’t lose sight of the fact that they offered a lot of value for the price point. It sure seems like they are though as they try to make a splash in the luxury market.
I got the turbo too for the heated steering wheel and cooled seats and the painted wheel trim.

I bought my 2023 CX-5 less than three weeks ago, and I for one am glad there is no touchscreen and no iStop either. I am the driver and the only occupant of the vehicle, so a touchscreen while driving would be a safety hazzard. I have been rear ended (not in this automobile) by distracted drivers so I have zero interest in any feature that takes one's eyes off of the road while driving. Of course I am not a big chocolate fan either.

Glad I got my 23 Turbo when I did. What was the second highest trim (with turbo) is now a step down. The base turbo in 23 was the best bang for the buck to get high trim options such as Bose and heated steering wheel, to name a couple. And you could do that for under $40K. That’s what sold me. Now you have to go north of 40 to get those options. I hope Mazda doesn’t lose sight of the fact that they offered a lot of value for the price point. It sure seems like they are though as they try to make a splash in the luxury market.
i dunno I read it as the 24 turbo premium is what the 23 turbo was at about the same price.

May be the inflation is lower in Canada than in the US? The US price for all Mazda OEM parts has gone up significantly in recent days, while it isn’t in Canada. One example is you can get Mazda ATF FZ at the Canadian online seller (ie Mazdashop) much cheaper than any of the US online sellers.

In the announcement those colors listed are “premium paint colors” for additional cost, unless you saw some color information somewhere else?

I believe the silver metallic will be there, just without additional cost.
Check out the build page on Mazda website, I didn't see any silver listed.

The lowest priced US version (2.5 Select) has more equipment than the Canadian one i.e dual zone auto A/C. To get that feature you must go the next trim (GS) and add a package.

Silver had to go I guess because now with 9 different colors in the US ( we have less in Canada) and many trims, it gets a bit complicated to manage inventory. For those like me who prefer light colors, that leaves Rhodium White as the only option north of the border (except for Suna ). Anyway, any time a color is discontinued some will be unhappy. I'm pretty sure Black, White, Red, Blue and Gray will not be discontinued any time soon!

I've barely seen any silver CX5s. Primarily its the red, white , grey with some smaller % black/dark blue. May be Mazda figured its the less likely color that people want nowadays.
The polymetal grey is cool though. I saw in canada you can have it in most trims. Hope they offer the same in US

Yes, you’re right! And there’s no more Sonic Silver Metallic available for 2024 CX-5 anymore.

My 2016 CX-5 is Sonic Silver Metallic. And I like silver color and have been purchasing new silver vehicles since 1980’s. The lighter silver color helps to lower interior temperature a bit in hot Texas. And silver hides the dirt the best and I don’t have to wash the car very often.

The lowest priced US version (2.5 Select) has more equipment than the Canadian one i.e dual zone auto A/C. To get that feature you must go the next trim (GS) and add a package.

Silver had to go I guess because now with 9 different colors in the US ( we have less in Canada) and many trims, it gets a bit complicated to manage inventory. For those like me who prefer light colors, that leaves Rhodium White as the only option north of the border (except for Suna ). Anyway, any time a color is discontinued some will be unhappy. I'm pretty sure Black, White, Red, Blue and Gray will not be discontinued any time soon!
Correction: dual zone auto A/C now standard on GS for 2024. This went under the radar. Package no longer required.

Silver is still available (in the US), it's just called Platinum Quartz Metallic now. The color swatch on the builder is off, it looks more like a champagne color, but when you select it, it's just a different tone of silver than Sonic Silver.

Still, $4,500 is a big difference. Not complaining, just find it interesting. None of those small equipment changes are worth that much money, IMO.

I bought my 2023 CX-5 less than three weeks ago, and I for one am glad there is no touchscreen and no iStop either. I am the driver and the only occupant of the vehicle, so a touchscreen while driving would be a safety hazzard. I have been rear ended (not in this automobile) by distracted drivers so I have zero interest in any feature that takes one's eyes off of the road while driving. Of course I am not a big chocolate fan either.

I find it much, much more distracting having to spin a wheel and click to do anything. In my experience with both it takes your eyes and attention off the road much more, and for longer, than quickly pressing a button. To each his own. But most other automakers (including Mazda now in their newest models) offer a touchscreen now because that's what the majority of buyers expect, not messing around with a clickwheel. Lexus and Acura's mouse and touchpad style solutions were reviewed horribly and abandoned... in favor of touchscreens. Anyways, it's good to have choices, which is what the 24 offers. Touchscreen or control wheel.

Last edited:
I disagree, I find it much, much more distracting having to spin a wheel and click to do anything. In my experience with both it takes your eyes and attention off the road much more, and for longer, than quickly pressing a button. To each his own. But most other automakers (including Mazda now in their newest models) offer a touchscreen now because that's what the majority of buyers expect, not messing around with a clickwheel. Lexus and Acura's mouse and touchpad style solutions were reviewed horribly and abandoned... in favor of touchscreens. Anyways, it's good to have choices, which is what the 24 offers. Touchscreen or control wheel.
It boils down to personal preference so arguing about it is futile. Our CX-5 has the spinny wheel and my truck has a touch screen. I prefer the spinny wheel probably because our previous vehicle had one. I also don't like all of the fingerprints on the touch screen. Under certain conditions it makes the screen hard to read.

To each their own..................

The touch screen vs dial both have pluses and minuses.

Touchscreen equals lots of fingerprints and let’s be real because you have to take your focus off the road.

The dial is better because it prevents fingerprints and such and time to get adjusted to but it’s the same/similar system used in BMWs and the CX five and the CX 50’s move pretty quick compared to the older units. Wish there was more shortcuts.

For me to fully integration of normal controls into the touch screens while driving is the same as operating a cell phone while driving (bad thing). Need physical keys or wait for the evolution of touchscreen, where there is a bump under to give you an idea of what you’re pressing without having to look at the screen.

No surprise they’re still selling brand new cx-5’s for 2024. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do not stop selling the CX five until it’s fully cannibalized by the CX 50. They’ll just do what Nissan did with the 350z…just some fancier head/tail lights with some new gadgets Like Wireless CarPlay/android auto.

Whenever I visit the sales department, I’m constantly being told that the CX five sells 3 to 1 over the CX 50 on normal day to day.

I personally hate the plastic trim. They put around the wheel arches, front and rear bumpers. When we all know, these SUVs are not off-road haulers all they really need to do is put in a set of quality mud guards. So glad my new car has body colored plastic trim around.

The plastic on my 19 was so faded. I had to use a couple different chemicals before I found one that brought and held for original luster that you saw when you first purchased a vehicle in 19 if anyone’s interested, I could post the name of the product.

Last edited:
Sure, I'm interested. Plastic trim on my 19 is fine, just a tad lighter than original. How long ago did you use the product?

Back