2023 CX-5 Can't update maps

Hi guys,

I'm a happy owner of 2023 CX-5 Takumi (top spec in UK with the large infotainment) and I've tried updating the sat-nav maps without luck. I found some threads about this but nothing worked for me.

I've driven for nearly 2000 miles so far (I read somewhere it needs to be at least 63 miles for the SD card to be linked with the vehicle)

I've tried the Update Toolbox on Windows 10 laptop, Windows 11 desktop and a MacBook, I tried with multiple different card readers and USB ports, I tried sliding the 'lock' lever on the card, I tried running the toolbox in admin mode and without antivirus and nothing. All computers see the SD card without any issues, but the update toolbox doesn't detect it and keeps saying 'Please insert SD card'.

I live in a new development and none of the streets around me are on the map. Not a massive issue as I use carplay most of the time, but it is a bit annoying.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go to the dealer with such small thing, as it's a bit out of the way.

Thanks,
Pawel

Last edited:
You are using the correct version of the Mazda ToolBox for your CX, right?

There are two versions, one for gen one and one for gen two.

Go here and enter your info.

Scroll down a bit and check the left side of your screen.

Expand the Navigation System section and look at the bottom of the section. See Map Update Guide? You're almost there.

Scroll to the top of the screen. Middle upper right, How To Update. Now you can download the correct ToolBox.

There you go.

Thanks Conrad, I used your link which took me to the exact same toolbox I've been using. Just to be sure, I uninstalled the one on my PC and installed the one just downloaded. Unfortunately - still nothing.

Thanks Conrad, I used your link which took me to the exact same toolbox I've been using. Just to be sure, I uninstalled the one on my PC and installed the one just downloaded. Unfortunately - still nothing.

That's odd. I would contact Mazda Connect and see if they can help. I was having issues with the final update (of three) not working on my Nav card. I contacted them and they determined that my card somehow went 'bad'. They hooked me up with a new card from my local dealer and all was well.

I've also got a new 2023 CX-5 here in the UK. I've got an issue with the sat nav too, so it's been back to the dealership a number of times without success. It's now been referred firstly to Mazda Europe and now more recently to Mazda Japan. My suggestion is to go to the dealer to get them to sort it out for you. Fingers crossed for you.

Hope you get your issue sorted Steve. Mine's been faultless except that I can't update maps.

I got a response from Mazda UK, if anyone else is having issues then here's the answer:
I can confirm the new Mazda CX-5 is equipped with a new Mapping system that currently there is no facility for map updates to take place. This will be rolled out in the next few months.

Interesting. Is the '23 significantly different from the '21? I thought they used the same 10.25" screen and infotainment version/programing. Mine has continued to update normally since purchase.

I had the same problem with the current Mazda Update Toolbox 5.7.2022040396 which could not access the KAAA 66 EZ1 SD-card which came with my new CX-5 2023 car. The dealer told me that Mazda Netherlands was aware of this and that there will be a new version of the toolbox that will recognise this new SD card in the near future. Up until now no news from Mazda Netherlands.

But thanks to Hawke with a link to the new Mazda Update Toolbox "MapUpdateGlobalAdv" I was able to update the map today :)

Originally my new KAAA 66 EZ1 SD-card had an older European map installed: Q1 2021, while the latest map is Q4 2022.

Unlike the older Toolbox you don't have to log in with this one.
At the end of the first step (making a backup) things seemed to hang at about 90%. But luckily and with a good dose of patience it went further.
It took 3 hours to update my SD-Card to the latest June 2023 map.

According to the MapUpdateGlobalAdv Toolbox, my free plan is three years, while the car is advertised with five years of free map updates...

Last edited:
so if you just buy the $30 card every few years with newer maps and not try updating will you stay off of Toolbox's bad list? Bought one with Q422 on it and not caring to play update game or ridiculous expensive one either.......

Last edited:
The car came with a "free" five-year subscription. The first update of the SD card went smoothly. Every six months I put the SD-card in my computer for three hours and that's it. Costs me nothing and still have the latest version of the navigation map in my car.

If you have to pay for a new subscription after those five years (three years for older cars), you can indeed choose to buy cheaper SD-cards which you can't update. It also depends on whether you have a lot of changes in the area where you drive.

I had my 2016 Hyundai Tucson for more than seven years and never updated the navigation system, which came with the automobile. I am not putting in the Mazda SD card given the price and given that when I need a map, Android Auto seems to be working just fine. When I travel out of town, an old fashioned paper map works better for me, though I may try the Android Auto as this is the first time I have used it. Technology and I do not much care for each other.

The new Mazda Update Toolbox as well as map updates for the '23 CX-5 as well as other recent models such as the CX-60, has now been released, you should be able to update yours now.

Link to the new Mazda Update Toolbox
FWIW, this link was the secret to successfully getting a map update for my 2024 CX-5 (it would be nice if the Mazda website(s) helped steer people to the correct app). However, I wasn't able to run it successfully on my MacBook running MacOS Sonoma (i.e., 14.x). In multiple attempts, the update would get far along, but then fail the verification step. I have an older Windows computer, and (although it was slower) the update worked fine on that system. Posting this in case someone else has similar problems. Really appreciate all the knowledge and guidance shared on this forum!

so if you just buy the $30 card every few years with newer maps and not try updating will you stay off of Toolbox's bad list? Bought one with Q422 on it and not caring to play update game or ridiculous expensive one either.......
I don't this it's that easy

Unfortunately, you are correct. That was my plan too, but they link your VIN to the first SD card. You can't get a new one and start over every 3 yrs.

Your official Navigation SD-card is linked to your car (VIN-number) after driving a certain distance.
But is your car also linked to your SD-card?

What happens if your SD-card is damaged beyond repair and you have not made a backup in the Mazda Toolbox?

Your official Navigation SD-card is linked to your car (VIN-number) after driving a certain distance.
But is your car also linked to your SD-card?

What happens if your SD-card is damaged beyond repair and you have not made a backup in the Mazda Toolbox?

This happened to me, kinda.

The subscription on my OEM card (came with the new CX) was about to expire (3-year period, car still under warranty). I had one update left, of three, on the card. (at the time Mazda was only allowing three updates in the 3-year time period). I performed two updates previously. When I tried to do the third, and final, update, it wouldn't work. I contacted Mazda and they said to bring the card into my local Mazda dealer and get a new card. I did and the final update worked (after driving with the card inserted). Somehow the system knew that I was only eligible for one more update and that's what I got.

So your car was not exclusively linked to your old SD-card (I mean the SD-card is linked to your car, not the other way around).
Else you could not have used another new SD-card.

If I am correct your free subscription is time limited, not the number of updates.
I think you can buy another new SD-card including a full 3 year subscription and use it in your car.

Back