2021 Mazda CX-5 announcement

Google won't show directions on the windshield
Voice entering does work even in '16 GT but the whole process is 10 times slower versus just entering using on-screen keyboard. I don't even mention setting route options like avoid tolls etc - good luck voicing that in

Btw am I the only person around that gets to areas with no cell coverage and still wants to navigate around?

I don't need directions visually...just verbally when driving.

What I mean is for our CX-5's system when driving......you cannot input an address on the screen. It is disabled. In that case while on the freeway I just use my Android phone's google assistant "ask" for the directions of a business. The Andriod phone will then give my voice directions.

I have no experience with Andriod Auto but I assume it would do the same...the only difference is it also gives you a map on the infotainment dash as well.

for our CX-5's system when driving......you cannot input an address on the screen. It is disabled. In that case while on the freeway I just use my Android phone's google assistant "ask"

Current infotainment tries to address it by a tiny Navigate To voice command at the bottom of this list https://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/files/Mazda_GlobalVoiceCommand_2015.pdf

It's crippled and slow of course to the point of not being usable, but I was able to enter an address or two in five years of ownership. I wonder if new infotainment has it improved, or they removed it altogether

What I'd love to achieve in my next car is to avoid having to use multiple navigation systems. And I do need visual directions, especially on longer trips to know which exists got gas stations - I guess with TURBO engine and the same gas tank size this feature is going to become everyone's fav lol

Last edited:
So what happened to the SkyActiv-X which is supposed to be the future of the Mazda?

Not sure if this has been posted before, but this kind of sums it up: LINK
So unless Mazda comes up with a SkyActiv-X 2.5L, which hasn’t been in its development plan so far, there’s no hope for US customers to see it. Then what is the future on Mazda’s power plant for the US market? SkyActiv-G is 8 years old and it has shown its age.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this kind of sums it up: LINK
Reading between the lines, my skeptic's interpretation is: "Gas is cheap in the US and our stuff is selling well as-is. We're busy working on the next-gen platforms. Wait 'til were done with that."

So unless Mazda comes up with a SkyActiv-X 2.5L, which hasn’t been in its development plan so far, there’s no hope for US customers to see it. Then what is the future on Mazda’s power plant for the US market? SkyActiv-G is 8 years old and it has shown its age.
Reading between the lines, my skeptic's interpretation is: "Gas is cheap in the US and our stuff is selling well as-is. We're busy working on the next-gen platforms. Wait 'til were done with that."

Throughout this year several bits of information came out which can hint at they're future developments. To summarize it, basically Sky-Active X doesn't really offer what north-americans want, neither in terms of power or in terms of fuel efficiency, when you compare it with the 2.5 G.

Therefore, for the north-american market they are developing the 3.0 inline six gasoline, based on the Sky-Active X engine from Europe to go along with they're large architecture. I would say that this will be looking good but from several articles this year, the inline six which is supposed to be a natural inline six (technically its not because it has a supercharger, even though its not for power but for fuel efficiency), will produce around 280hp and 250 lbs of torque. If you look at these numbers and the driving characteristics of the 2.0 Skyactive X from Europe I don't think that engine will be a great engine to drive and by that I mean sporty.

I would think that the sporty choice will be the re-fining of the 2.5 Turbo, to bring it closer to 300hp.

Throughout this year several bits of information came out which can hint at they're future developments. To summarize it, basically Sky-Active X doesn't really offer what north-americans want, neither in terms of power or in terms of fuel efficiency, when you compare it with the 2.5 G.

Therefore, for the north-american market they are developing the 3.0 inline six gasoline, based on the Sky-Active X engine from Europe to go along with they're large architecture. I would say that this will be looking good but from several articles this year, the inline six which is supposed to be a natural inline six (technically its not because it has a supercharger, even though its not for power but for fuel efficiency), will produce around 280hp and 250 lbs of torque. If you look at these numbers and the driving characteristics of the 2.0 Skyactive X from Europe I don't think that engine will be a great engine to drive and by that I mean sporty.

I would think that the sporty choice will be the re-fining of the 2.5 Turbo, to bring it closer to 300hp.

I blame the EPA for screwing Mazda over. I mean everyone else has it and the U.S. could not get it because of the EPA. Mazda had to go back and tinker it and finally launched it in the States a few years too late.

Other countries have Skyactiv-G, been having Skyactiv-D, shoot even Skyactiv-X M Hybrid with optional manual....right now!!

"The $3000 premium may deter buyers" - it definitely will... unless Mazda is trying to position itself as a more luxury car vs Honda/Toyota. It used to be more driveable, but I'm not sure how the latest crv/rav4 drive. They definitely started to look more sporty

Last edited:
US versions still no steering wheel mounted paddle controls? BTW: Not jerking anyone's chain here but just today test drove for my buddy Subaru Forrester SPORT 2021 and found it to be surprisingly agile, balanced and good. Price wise almost along the same lines as CX-5. Mazda interior is a little better.

I have a 2020 CX5 GT with Premium and it came with paddle shifters on the steering wheel...

Subaru Forrester SPORT 2021 and found it to be surprisingly agile

I tried one back in 2015 and it had CVT. It screamed like a dying animal every time I pushed gas and CX5 was like luxury car compared to that experience... I assume their CVT is still there, but they added 12hp to the engine hopefully making it more quiet?

Here is the press release for the 2021 model year. Almost everything is the same, really nice to see a much bigger standard 10.25 inch infotainment. But damn, the msrps have gone way up over the years.
I am sure it will sell but the Cabron trim level does not appeal to me.

Back