2021 Mazda CX-5 announcement

Carplay/Android Auto are worlds better than the standard system. Navigation, Ease of Use, Music, Voice Commands, all superior to the factory infotainment. That's probably why they're offering it as standard now.
I may be the last person in the world at my net worth level who does not have a smart phone but I won't bore you with my idiosycratic less-is-often-more rationale. Suffice it to say a $20 flip phone on the Verizon network at a hundred bucks a year works for me. My wife has an iPhone and iPad, I know how they work, and if there's any "tech support" it falls to me. Now, I have my wife's old iPad which I rarely use. I'm planing to covert a library of CDs up to the iPad's capacity to just leave in the vehicle since my 6-CD changer is now history, which makes me think of a question for elsewhere.

From my perspective, once I figure out how stuff works and get the settings where I want them, which I'm most of the way through after two weeks, 98% of the driving enterprise for me is unlock, start up, un-mute NPR (or switch to iPad when the time comes), set the climate control, back out, drive, park, lock, rinse and repeat. Consequently, I don't anticipate using the touch screen much at all. Now, if there are new vehicle functions (like a louder turn signal setting, lol, to name one) that just happened to come along in a new screen config, that might matter to me but not something I'm going to trade for.

Is that true? Wow. I prefer the option of being able to use a touchscreen and installed the AIO hack/mod just so I could enable mine while driving.

To each their own, personally, we have a Mazda 6 and CX-5 in our household, and 95% of the time we use the command knobs and controls.
I think it’s much better than touching the screen. It’s a much closer and easier reach.

The info shows a GT with an option for Premium but no info on what that option includes?

GT Premium most likely same as last few years:
Active Driving Display
Automatic power folding side mirrors
Heated rear seats (3 levels)
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated front seats (3 levels)
Windshield wiper de-icer

Definitely disappointed that the archaeic infotainment system and 360 camera was not upgraded in Canada. I'm surprised that they didn't even put it on the Signature like they did with the 8 inch last year. I'll keep my money until they do and continue along with my Mazda3. Maybe something from another brand will come out that I can buy before then.

So cosmetic and some tech changes. No new sheet metal or engine changes. I wonder if Mazda thinks they can soldier on with this tinkering for the 2022 CX-5 so basically six model years since the 2017 was introduced. Perhaps, like some rumors frequently suggest, the "all-new" model will appear as a 2023?

I guess if they included everything on all models there would be no need for all models. Mazda takes a different approach. They have multiple CX5 models with virtually no option upgrades. You basically buy the options you want by the model.

I’m pretty disappointed with how they are doing the carbon edition. Was hoping they’d offer it on higher trims.

Was considering pulling the trigger this year but now I’m hoping my 07 6 lasts another year.

I just looked and there are still 184 new 2019 CX-5s for sale on Autotrader.

0 within 100 miles from me :(

We're likely to replace our trusty 2013 CX-5 for 2021/22 model soon. anyways We want the cheapest model with cooled seats and the Android/Apple thingy.

Edit: well I guess with cooled seats.

0 within 100 miles from me :(

We're likely to replace our trusty 2013 CX-5 for 2021/22 model soon. anyways We want the cheapest model with cooled seats and the Android/Apple thingy.

Edit: well I guess with cooled seats.
Having vented front seats on a base model? Good luck! ;)

Anybody seen any 2021s on lots? My local dealer shows a number “in transit“ on their web site with VINs, but I guess that might mean weeks or even months.

- Mark

I think the speed and universal compatibility with the new Mazda infotainment system is equally important to the size of the screen. But hey that size will attract buyers to place the CX-5 on their test drive list at least.

Might be in the minority,but I prefer the smaller info system, less of a distraction.
My D getting a 2020 recently worked out as touring package now has leather seats that she did not want, but moonroof was a must.

Last edited:
Google assistant has probably the best voice recognition software.

Google assistant has probably the best voice recognition software.

Google won't show directions on the windshield
Voice entering does work even in '16 GT but the whole process is 10 times slower versus just entering using on-screen keyboard. I don't even mention setting route options like avoid tolls etc - good luck voicing that in

Btw am I the only person around that gets to areas with no cell coverage and still wants to navigate around?

Last edited:
Back