2021 CX-9 Burning oil

Ok, you asked for advise here it is. I am advising you that your dealership is dishonest. Valve seals can't mess up a sensor that's preposterous. You need to drive in there when your oil light turns on and tell them to follow the tsb. If your car falls in the VIN range you're only requirement is to show up with a low oil light on and a code set. Then according to the TSB the dealer is instructed by Mazda corporation to replace your seals. It's pretty cut and dry. Get a copy of the TSB read it understand it and go into your dealership armed with that knowledge. There's your advice
I don't mean to be harsh, but have a good advice... Trade it in and run, no time to deal with this shi**. This is what I did, I took it to carmax an they bought it( took over my lease) and got a check for $500. use the $500 as a down payment for a new car ( I went with a more expensive car though). Now I don't have to think about this thing

They probably rigged your sensor to not enable once the level drops. Find another dealer

They told me the light turned off when it got there and they could get no codes this last time but I got a new sensor anyway (I gave pic with light on). So I guess I just have to wait until the light goes on again and do what you said. While I observe. This is unreal. I appreciate you taking the time!!!

I don't mean to be harsh, but have a good advice... Trade it in and run, no time to deal with this shi**. This is what I did, I took it to carmax an they bought it( took over my lease) and got a check for $500. use the $500 as a down payment for a new car ( I went with a more expensive car though). Now I don't have to think about this thing
Not harsh!!!! I need to hear all!!!

Those seals need to get changed but the dealer is a crook. I bet frustrated owners after having oil added, sensors changed and other bs diversionary tactacts have considered just draining out 1.5qts, triggering that brand new low oil level switch, setting the code and presenting the car to the dealer. The ONLY CRITERIA THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN IS SHOWING UP AT THE DEALER WITH THE 250 CODE. Jesus I hate dealers. Changing that switch was criminal. Total bs. They pull s*** like that all the time. And another lie, is they said the light went off. If you add oil, the light will go off but the code is still there in the pcm history, unless they deleted it, which they did probably. READ THE TSB, become informed and dont let the stealership crooks take advantage of you. Its in black and white. Show up with a light(and a stored code) seals get changed. No adding oil, no topping it off and monitoring, no changing the level switch, no changing oil brands no nothing. Change the dam seals. I wonder if Mazda USA reads this crap and knows what these dealers are doing, its absolutely crazy the lies they come up with, wow!

Last edited:
Those seals need to get changed but the dealer is a crook. I bet frustrated owners after having oil added, sensors changed and other bs diversionary tactacts have considered just draining out 1.5qts, triggering that brand new low oil level switch, setting the code and presenting the car to the dealer. The ONLY CRITERIA THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN IS SHOWING UP AT THE DEALER WITH THE 250 CODE. Jesus I hate dealers. Changing that switch was criminal. Total bs. They pull s*** like that all the time. And another lie, is they said the light went off. If you add oil, the light will go off but the code is still there in the pcm history, unless they deleted it, which they did probably. READ THE TSB, become informed and dont let the stealership crooks take advantage of you. Its in black and white. Show up with a light(and a stored code) seals get changed. No adding oil, no topping it off and monitoring, no changing the level switch, no changing oil brands no nothing. Change the dam seals. I wonder if Mazda USA reads this crap and knows what these dealers are doing, its absolutely crazy the lies they come up with, wow!

A friend of mine has a 2021 which unfortunately has the oil burning issue. The local dealer is jerking him around for reasons I cannot understand. Prior to the TSB being published, his oil light came on a number of times. He kept taking it back to the dealer, and they kept topping it off. He told me about this situation, and I told him about the TSB. He immediately called the dealer and asked about it and they were evasive on the phone, but finally acknowledged that the TSB exists and if his oil light came on again to call them.

Fast forward to last month. His oil light comes on again, he calls to get an appointment, but they can't get to him until a couple weeks later. In the meantime, he has to go on a road trip, so he tops it off himself. Now when he takes it in the dealer tells him "sorry, no light, no fix" and claims they have no record of any stored codes. They told him to come back (yet again) when the light comes on. Meanwhile, the car has been in the service department a number of times with the light on already, they have seen it, added oil, but this isn't enough.

Mazda's "path to premium" is not going to be a smooth road when their dealer network does crap like this.

A friend of mine has a 2021 which unfortunately has the oil burning issue. The local dealer is jerking him around for reasons I cannot understand. Prior to the TSB being published, his oil light came on a number of times. He kept taking it back to the dealer, and they kept topping it off. He told me about this situation, and I told him about the TSB. He immediately called the dealer and asked about it and they were evasive on the phone, but finally acknowledged that the TSB exists and if his oil light came on again to call them.

Fast forward to last month. His oil light comes on again, he calls to get an appointment, but they can't get to him until a couple weeks later. In the meantime, he has to go on a road trip, so he tops it off himself. Now when he takes it in the dealer tells him "sorry, no light, no fix" and claims they have no record of any stored codes. They told him to come back (yet again) when the light comes on. Meanwhile, the car has been in the service department a number of times with the light on already, they have seen it, added oil, but this isn't enough.

Mazda's "path to premium" is not going to be a smooth road when their dealer network does crap like this.
Yep!!!! Same. I’m 1000 miles since the last top off. I really love my vehicle otherwise… this is just such BS.

Those seals need to get changed but the dealer is a crook. I bet frustrated owners after having oil added, sensors changed and other bs diversionary tactacts have considered just draining out 1.5qts, triggering that brand new low oil level switch, setting the code and presenting the car to the dealer. The ONLY CRITERIA THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN IS SHOWING UP AT THE DEALER WITH THE 250 CODE. Jesus I hate dealers. Changing that switch was criminal. Total bs. They pull s*** like that all the time. And another lie, is they said the light went off. If you add oil, the light will go off but the code is still there in the pcm history, unless they deleted it, which they did probably. READ THE TSB, become informed and dont let the stealership crooks take advantage of you. It’s in black and white. Show up with a light(and a stored code) seals get changed. No adding oil, no topping it off and monitoring, no changing the level switch, no changing oil brands no nothing. Change the dam seals. I wonder if Mazda USA reads this crap and knows what these dealers are doing, it’s absolutely crazy the lies they come up with, wow!
I just saw on my notes from the repair that the history was deleted. I presume the code history. Criminal is the word.

I read on social media someone had luck with this procedure:

1 Make appt at dealer and open a case with Mazda USA. GET THE CASE NUMBER. Will look like 00058xxx
2 Buy ramps and a $12 code reader
3 prior to appt drain oil to just to the tip of the stick which will ilum the light and set the code.
4 go to appointment show service dept light, photo of the code on the code reader, case number and copy of TSB.
5 Schedule appt. Due to satisfying requirements of TSB.

Last edited:
Meanwhile all this oil being dumped into the combustion chamber is plugging up your turbo and your cats. Ridiculous. The dealers dont want this job in their shop because mazda only pays 4.4hrs at the warranty rate and most stealerships dont have any good techs. The 57 page r&r for the seals requires the tech to watch a video and be a master technician. I have done this job on similar engines. Its not hard but you need to be detail oriented. Its a solid 8 hrs for a first timer. Dealer is loosing money on this job

Last edited:
They did the valves in November. Then the same thing occurred (light on at 2000 miles). They said I’m the first that has come back after the fix. This is when they blamed the sensor (after telling me in person the sensor didn’t fail yet there’s no codes and the was indeed low) after 2000 miles. So are you saying they need to do the valves again?

They did the valves in November. Then the same thing occurred (light on at 2000 miles). They said I’m the first that has come back after the fix. This is when they blamed the sensor (after telling me in person the sensor didn’t fail yet there’s no codes and the was indeed low) after 2000 miles. So are you saying they need to do the valves again?

You should probably wait and observe, before doing anything else.

Need to be consistent with oil monitoring. Check before first start of the day, parked level, preferably in same spot. Only way to establish a trend.

Need to be consistent with oil monitoring. Check before first start of the day, parked level, preferably in same spot. Only way to establish a trend.

I did that and took pictures of the stick right after the oil change (less than 25 miles) at 1500 miles, at 3000 miles and at 4500 miles. I did this on multiple oil change and posted the pictures here. For the most part, the oil remained rock steady up to 3000 miles. At 4500 it was close to the lower hole and would drop to it and trigger the low engine oil light if I drove another 500 or so miles. This behavior was very consistent up to 45,000 miles. At this point, the oil burning has stopped - unless the oil volume is being taken up by something else! This is with my 2021 CX-9. The 2021 CX-5, with less than 20K miles is behaving just like I mentioned above. Same with the 2021 Mazda 3.

I did that and took pictures of the stick right after the oil change (less than 25 miles) at 1500 miles, at 3000 miles and at 4500 miles. I did this on multiple oil change and posted the pictures here. For the most part, the oil remained rock steady up to 3000 miles. At 4500 it was close to the lower hole and would drop to it and trigger the low engine oil light if I drove another 500 or so miles. This behavior was very consistent up to 45,000 miles. At this point, the oil burning has stopped - unless the oil volume is being taken up by something else! This is with my 2021 CX-9. The 2021 CX-5, with less than 20K miles is behaving just like I mentioned above. Same with the 2021 Mazda 3.
Ohhhhhh interesting. Just got a MAZDA3 for my son but it’s a base model. Does that make a difference?

This is how I look at it. Mazda acknowledge they had an 11-month period with certain VIN numbers that they installed seals that were either defective or the design was poor. So if the engine falls inside of a vehicle that falls inside of the VIN it's not a matter of IF it's going to start burning oil later in life it's WHEN. If it was my vehicle I would do whatever it takes to get those valve seals replaced with the known good ones while it's still under warranty. If you read the TSB Mazda is setting a pretty low bar for getting the seals replaced. All you have to do is show up with a low oil light and a code. ONCE. No more discussion, set the appt to change the seals. They know that all these seals are going to need to be changed sometime in the life of the vehicle. Mazda knows what's going on and they're trying to do the right thing. The problem really is dealing with the "disrepairable" stealerships, which can be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Back