2021 CX-5 wheel fitment questions

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
Just picked up a new cx5 signature. I feel like the tire is a bit too small for this car? If I’m not mistaken, the stock 225/55/19 are on 7inch wheels? Would a 245/50/19 fit well on the 7inch wheels? I was told running a bigger size tire on a small wheel will cause the tire to jump out of the wheel when cornering? Do I need spacers for this setup? Will the 245 size mess up the lane keep assist?

The OEM wheels are 7" wide. I would personally not put wider tires on those wheels. I got 245/55-18 tires on 18x8 ET45 wheels and they do fit without any rubbing. No other issues, no spacers needed, no issue with the lane keep assist.

245/50-19The key is to maintain the tire diameter of 28.7 inches. The 245/50-19 is 28.6 inches or about -0.35% which is an acceptable variation according to most, The 7 inch wheel is the minimum width you can use with that size, so assuming proper inflation, I doubt you will have an issues assuming you are not street racing. Ideally with a wider tire, you want a wider wheel, and then you have to pay attention to offset, but you are really not doing anything radical.

These tools are very helpful in understanding/visualizing the effects of the wider, slightly shorter tire. Your inside clearance is 0.35 inches less. I think that will be the key...any rubbing with 0.35 inches less inside clearance? It should not be a problem, but you really have to do your due diligence.

Tire Calculator
Offset Calculator

I seem to recall people using wider tires with the Gen 2 CX5, I just cannot remember the specific cases. I think a search of these forums will help.

Gen 1 245/50-19 fitment
Gen 2 245/50-19 fitment with 19x8
Gen 2 255/45-20 fitment with 20x8

Would a 245/50/19 fit good on the 7inch wheels? I was told running bigger size tire on small wheel will cause the tire to jump out of the wheel when cornering?
I think there might be fitment recommendations for some tires online.
Maybe check the website for the particular tires you're interested in.

just pick up a new cx5 signature. I feel like the tire is a bit to small for this car? If I’m not mistaking the stock 225/55/19 are on 7inch wheels? Would a 245/50/19 fit good on the 7inch wheels? I was told running bigger size tire on small wheel will cause the tire to jump out of the wheel when cornering? do i need spacers for this set up? will the 245 size miss up the lane keep assist ?
245/50/19 on stock wheels? I can see black rubbing marks on front struts from my stock 225/55R19 already, and my wife drives the 2016 CX-5 like a granny.

Just FYI, the “measuring rim width”, or "design rim width" for 245/50/19 is 7.5”.

I think Mazda did a great job picking the tire size for my 2021 GTR. I want a good all weather tire and if one goes wide, then skidding or hydroplaning can become an issue. In addition a wider tire increases the frontal area of the vehicle. Many things to consider when moving away from the engineers choice. Ed

245/50/19 on stock wheels? I can see black rubbing marks on front struts from my stock 225/55R19 already, and my wife drives the 2016 CX-5 like a granny.

Just FYI, the “measuring rim width”, or "design rim width" for 245/50/19 is 7.5”.
Stock 225/55-19 already rub on a Gen 1? Wow! Talk about engineering margin or lack thereof.

Wonder if the Gen 2 has same clearance issues?

So if the OP wants new wider tires, he really needs to research, and may conclude new wheels with a different offset and width to make it all work properly, or judge whether it is worth a $1000 experiment that we can all benefit from if he posts the results.

I am new to car modifications. I just want to increase traction and handling, that’s why I thought of getting wider tires. I came from 2019 vw tiguan stock 255/40/20 then I upgraded to 265/40/20. The result was very noticeable!

For the cx5 the reason why I picked 245/50/19 is because I really love the Michelin pilot sport all season 4 that I put on the vw tiguan. It was the best handling tires I owned (also had pilot sport 4s, the all-season 3+). They don’t have as4 for 225/55/19.

I looked on Michelin’s website, the minimum size wheel is 7in. I heard it would look ugly and it will decrease the handling because the wheel is too small. Anyways I think I will just wait till this OE tires life is over or around 20k miles I will just buy a set of 19X8 and 245/50/19 in Michelin pilot sport all season 4.

Here is a gen1 with 245/50/19. It can be done however you can see it bulges and the turn in will be sloppyier.

245/50/19 on 19x8(or 8.5) ET45 (OEM) will be fine and without interference.

So I had 245/50/19 Michelin ps as4 put on. The handling It’s horrible compared to my vw. Its like riding on jello. The sidewall is so soft. Does anyone know if 8.5inch wheel will help with that ? Or even 19x8 ?

Please help! I am not sure if it’s even safe to drive on.... the sidewall is so soft when I turn my steering all the way the edge of sidewall is touching the ground. I don’t wanna waste $1300 on those tire

The PilotSports are popular tires with no complaints like yours. In fact TireRack rates it as the second best tire in that category. I’ve run the non-all seasons on another vehicle for years with great success. If yours are rolling over as you describe, are they actually 245/50-19s? The recommended rim widths are 7-8.5”. What is the tire pressure?

So I had 245/50/19 Michelin ps as4 put on. The handling It’s horrible compared to my vw. Its like riding on jello. The sidewall is so soft. Does anyone know if 8.5inch wheel will help with that ? Or even 19x8 ?
The measuring rim width or the tire’s “design rim width” is 7.5”; and the rim width range is 7” ~ 8.5” for Michelin’s Pilot Sport All Season 4 245/50ZR19 tire. The factory rim should be fine, and the best rim width is 7.5” to the tire.

ADA9329C-79AC-47CF-AB95-900D822792F8.jpeg

Tires should be fine to the factory 19x7 rims. Check tire pressure and I’d put in at least 39 psi.

I got the pilot sport as4 on my vw just different size(265/40/20) so I know how it feels but on the Mazda 245/50/19 it just feel like riding on jello. The sidewall on this 245/50 just feel like very very soft for some reason. The only thing I can think about is the factory rim that came with the CX-5 19x7 I think. I been trying to air them up between 35-40psi. 35-37psi feels good. But 38-40psi feels very bumpy at the same the car is still very wobbly.

I got the pilot sport as4 on my vw just different size(265/40/20) so I know how it feels but on the Mazda 245/50/19 it just feel like riding on jello. The sidewall on this 245/50 just feel like very very soft for some reason. The only thing I can think about is the factory rim that came with the CX-5 19x7 I think. I been trying to air them up between 35-40psi. 35-37psi feels good. But 38-40psi feels very bumpy at the same the car is still very wobbly.
Not sure where did you get your Michelin PS AS4 tires. But the tire store like Discount Tire you can always return the tires and get different ones in 30 days if you don’t like the tires.

I got the pilot sport as4
Since Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 features “an advanced tread compound molded into an innovative asymmetric pattern”, can you verify if it’s a directional tire? You should be able to see a “Rotation” with an arrow on the sidewall if the PS AS4 is a directional. If it is, then verify if the tire store mounted them correctly.

Not sure where did you get your Michelin PS AS4 tires. But the tire store like Discount Tire you can always return the tires and get different ones in 30 days if you don’t like the tires.

Since Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 features “an advanced tread compound molded into an innovative asymmetric pattern”, can you verify if it’s a directional tire? You should be able to see a “Rotation” with an arrow on the sidewall if the PS AS4 is a directional. If it is, then verify if the tire store mounted them correctly.
I got it from discount tire they install it and certificate everything. I am not sure if return or exchange will be possible.
1. On the paper it says no exchange or return on special order. I waited for a week for the tire to come in.
2. I been on the road. I won’t have time to take it back to discount tire till Thursday. By then I’m estimating 1800 miles on those tire for 5 days owning it.
3. By 2nd day of owning it I had 2 patches done already. SMH bad luck

I did check, it does not looks like there is an arrow. It just says outside. I will attach a photo. Let me know if you can see it
It just weird that those tires work really good on my other cars never had such problems.

Sorry my English not very good

Attachments

• 6ADEC872-92D9-4F18-BB26-310133652B1D.jpeg
    6ADEC872-92D9-4F18-BB26-310133652B1D.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 255
I got it from discount tire they install it and certificate everything. I am not sure if return or exchange will be possible.
1. On the paper it says no exchange or return on special order. I waited for a week for the tire to come in.
2. I been on the road. I won’t have time to take it back to discount tire till Thursday. By then I’m estimating 1800 miles on those tire for 5 days owning it.
3. By 2nd day of owning it I had 2 patches done already. SMH bad luck

I did check, it does not looks like there is an arrow. It just says outside. I will attach a photo. Let me know if you can see it
It just weird that those tires work really good on my other cars never had such problems.

Sorry my English not very good
You’re in good hand with Discount Tire, although your invoice does say no exchange or return since your tires were special ordered. You can discuss the issue with your Discount Tire Store and see what they can do to resolve your concern. You can at least try to direct the issue towards “defect” and ask for warranty exchange from Michelin. IMO your issue is weird from the Michelin PS tires, and I believe a normal Michelin PS AS4 tires shouldn’t be handling seemly even worse than factory Toyo A36’s!

My Discount Tire Store had replaced a new set of Continental’s 2 times and gave me a 3rd set of different Michelin Pilot Sport I’d used before on my 2000 BMW 528i all because some highway road noise issue I wasn’t happy about it. That made me a life-time Discount Tire customer.

Back