2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I intend to use the OEM oil filter on my vehicle for the first couple of oil changes and then switch to a Fram filter. I remember several different filters are made in different countries. Can someone school me on the OEM filters that my dealer might stock? Thank you Ed

Solution
So you bought a new 2021 CX-5 GTR?

The oil filter from factory on 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations have stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302.

I wouldn’t use Fram filter, as aftermarket oil filters are one size for both 2.5T and 2.5L, whereas OEM’s have 2 different oil filters.
Any chance to check the oil level before and after?

Based on many DIY reports here, 5 quarts is not enough for the 2.5T to make the oil level to the Max mark unless you didn’t drain the oil completely:
Here is before and after photo of cold oil level, 1st is before. I used whole 5 quart jug.

Attachments

• B86350C1-BEBA-413E-8C5F-57F422C6B690.jpeg
    B86350C1-BEBA-413E-8C5F-57F422C6B690.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 64E8AEFA-9F93-47F7-8C83-124BA7BB1777.jpeg
    64E8AEFA-9F93-47F7-8C83-124BA7BB1777.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
I also installed a front garnish after oil changed.

Attachments

• 417A08A7-2217-4809-9B74-A6428EA5BD61.jpeg
    417A08A7-2217-4809-9B74-A6428EA5BD61.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 127
  • 74EB77E6-886A-4651-A65A-C90BFC653821.jpeg
    74EB77E6-886A-4651-A65A-C90BFC653821.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 111
  • 48342C50-5BA8-40A1-96FB-939B538CE5DA.jpeg
    48342C50-5BA8-40A1-96FB-939B538CE5DA.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 114
  • F309EEC2-733A-4230-BB69-55125537B92A.jpeg
    F309EEC2-733A-4230-BB69-55125537B92A.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Sounds like there was an underlying alignment issue
I get what you're saying but had it aligned a few times but did question the camber in that car. Not able to figure it out I went back to my previous way of doing rotation. That car was a story in itself. I had more oddball failures on that car that were never experienced on the prior nine that I owned.

Upvote 0
Here is before and after photo of cold oil level, 1st is before. I used whole 5 quart jug.
This’s weird. Before photo on oil level indicates you shouldn’t have oil consumption issue like some 2021 2.5T’s based on the TSB. But 5 quarts of fresh oil makes you over-filled about 0.5 quart?

The manual says 5.1 quarts on the 2.5T for the oil change. Many DIYers say 5.5 quarts. Something just doesn’t seem right. :unsure:😜🤪

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This’s weird. Before photo on oil level indicates you shouldn’t have oil consumption issue like some 2021 2.5T’s based on the TSB. But 5 quarts of fresh oil makes you over-filled about 0.5 quart?

I don't think you're reading it right. Looks like oil level is just below the max mark to me.

Upvote 0
I don't think you're reading it right. Looks like oil level is just below the max mark to me.
This’s the “after” picture posted by Glee217. I can clearly see the oil level is about 0.5 quart higher than the Max mark, to the bottom of the front bumper in the background. Or I can see another “flat line” which is about quart below the Max mark?

01F49C1F-37C1-4EAC-B153-27FF24A6480B.jpeg

Upvote 0
This’s the “after” picture posted by Glee217. I can clearly see the oil level is about 0.5 quart higher than the Max mark, to the bottom of the front bumper in the background.

View attachment 307087

That's just oil from the dipstick tube. Common on warm engine oil level checks. Actual oil level is this, IMO.

01F49C1F-37C1-4EAC-B153-27FF24A6480B.jpeg

Upvote 0
That's just oil from the dipstick tube. Common on warm engine oil level checks. Actual oil level is this, IMO.

View attachment 307089
Yeah, but Glee217 said he checked the oil level when cold, not warm. The oil level line on the dipstick shouldn’t be a perfect 90° straight clean-cut line like that. The oil mark ½ quart above the Max hole seems to be more natural to me. When I check the oil level on mine when cold, the oil level mark always looks like that.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but Glee217 said he checked the oil level when cold, not warm. The oil level line on the dipstick shouldn’t be a perfect 90° straight clean-cut line like that. The oil mark ½ quart above the Max hole seems to be more natural to me. When I check the oil level on mine when cold, the oil level mark always looks like that.
Sm1ke’s reading with arrow on 2nd photo is right but it was not on a warm engine. I pulled stick out then read it and wiped it and reinserted it amd read it again thats why it might have caught some oil from dipstick tube.

Anyways it seems I am not concsuming any oil since its less than 3k mi. So hopefully same goes for the future lol.

I got the front garnish on ebay awhile ago.

Upvote 0

Slope of the driveway/garage floor may affect what the level looks like as well. I usually check my oil level in the garage, but even then, sometimes it looks like it has a "step" to it, other times its a straight cut.

Upvote 0
Sm1ke’s reading with arrow on 2nd photo is right but it was not on a warm engine. I pulled stick out then read it and wiped it and reinserted it amd read it again thats why it might have caught some oil from dipstick tube.

Anyways it seems I am not concsuming any oil since its less than 3k mi. So hopefully same goes for the future lol.

I got the front garnish on ebay awhile ago.

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully your CX-5 ownership is problem-free!

Upvote 0
For tire rotation, I used a hydraulic jack w/round rubber puck on the jacking point that is located inwards (felt padding) of the fin for front and scissor jack for the rear. I used the hydraulic jack on this jacking point because this is the jacking point for the scissor jack (not the outward area of the fin). Underneath the felt is good solid jacking point for the front (last three photos). The rear though is alot narrower so I only used a scissor jack. I also had jack stands for the front (dimples) and rear differential.

AFAIK, you're supposed use your floor jack on the pinch weld(shown with RED patch on first two photos). The inside with felt area is just a sheet metal, not strong enough to support the weight of your vehicle(don't ask me how I know it). Scissor jack on the same spot as well.

Another, you should always use jack stands as a pair. You've been lucky this time. Is your floor jack rated for 3 ton? Looks kind of skimpy.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, you're supposed use your floor jack on the pinch weld(shown with RED patch on first two photos). The inside with felt area is just a sheet metal, not strong enough to support the weight of your vehicle(don't ask me how I know it). Scissor jack on the same spot as well.

Another, you should always use jack stands as a pair. You've been lucky this time. Is your floor jack rated for 3 ton? Looks kind of skimpy.
To be clear for the rotation, I used both hydraulic jack and scissor jack AND jack stands for front (dimples) and rear diff.

For the jacking points, if you used the scissor jack to jack up the car you can clearly see that the scissor jack makes contact with the FELT and not with the weld! You can try it and see. Maybe its diff for other years but for my 21 GTR turbo awd it contacts the felt only. I dont want to risk warping that thin weld lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see you placed one jack stand on front and another on rear, that's what I'm pointing out. Jack stands should be used as a pair, either on front or rear, the same height.

Here's a few screenshots from 2019 CX-5 OM, and this should apply to ALL CX-5s not just 2019 MY.

JP 1.JPG
JP 2.JPG
JP 3.JPG

Upvote 0
I know partsoug has the filters made in Japan but why are they the only source? Are the Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 still manufactured?

Upvote 0
I intend to use the OEM oil filter on my vehicle for the first couple of oil changes and then switch to a Fram filter. I remember several different filters are made in different countries. Can someone school me on the OEM filters that my dealer might stock? Thank you Ed
Is it possible to do an oil change on 2021 cx5 2.5L Turbo without raising car? ie. Is the car high enough to crawl under to remove oil filter etc?

I was hoping to give up working on cars now retired, but at over $100+ an oil change, I have to rethink this. I'v done 100s of oil changes on cars but new to this suv. I know how to do the oil change, but with tight work space now, was wondering if possible to avoid using jack stands etc.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Is it possible to do an oil change on 2021 cx5 2.5L Turbo without raising car? ie. Is the car high enough to crawl under to remove oil filter etc?

I was hoping to give up working on cars now retired, but at over $100+ an oil change, I have to rethink this. I'v done 100s of oil changes on cars but new to this suv. I know how to do the oil change, but with tight work space now, was wondering if possible to avoid using jack stands etc.
Thanks
Not possible BUT no jack or jack stands needed, just buy a set of plastic ramps for the front tires and drive right up on them, set the parking brake and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back