2021 CX-5 Grand Touring AC Issue?

I wouldn't call it a powerful computer. It does some rudimentary calculations based on several sensors and adjusts the a/c compressor clutch, blower fan and a few airflow actuators. The fact that it has gotten hung up and stopped working, and needs to be reset is a sign that it isn't programmed all that well. I've never had another Auto system do that.

I also find the auto setting leaves a bit to be desired in its operation, even if it's pretty good overall. It's mid-pack compared to other vehicles I've owned.
I’ve got some Mazda PDFs that you might find interesting but I’m not at home so can’t get at them just yet.

It just seems such a shame to override such a powerful computer…..

Such a shame that you felt it necessary to insult forum members who are sharing their experience and trying to help OP with suggestions to correct the issue and prevent it from recurring. Nice.

Not trying to be a clever clogs…

What are you trying to be then when referring to responders, who all seem to share a majority opinion on the matter, as clueless people? There is always a way to make your point tactfully without seemingly purposefully trying to offend anyone. Your initial post in this thread comes across as arrogant and pretentious. But I don’t think that’s the real you, at least not typical based on other posts of yours that I’ve read. We all have our bad days I suppose.

I’ve got some Mazda PDFs that you might find interesting but I’m not at home so can’t get at them just yet.
Here's what I'm using for reference, from the Service & Repair Manual.
CX5a.jpg
CX5b.jpg

Have you got access to “new car features”?
Not that I'm aware of. That sounds like some kind of marketing copy. I'm going based on the actual inputs and outputs available to the climate control CPU.

Such a shame that you felt it necessary to insult forum members who are sharing their experience and trying to help OP with suggestions to correct the issue and prevent it from recurring. Nice.

What are you trying to be then when referring to responders, who all seem to share a majority opinion on the matter, as clueless people? There is always a way to make your point tactfully without seemingly purposefully trying to offend anyone. Your initial post in this thread comes across as arrogant and pretentious. But I don’t think that’s the real you, at least not typical based on other posts of yours that I’ve read. We all have our bad days I suppose.
Yes, OK I apologise. It does frustrate me when she’s being encouraged to disable the computer that is programmed to do what she wants automatically. Even in Texas where I’ve experienced your summers it will still do exactly the same as overriding it but it will make adjustments year round. Might I suggest that it arrogant to not even consider that. The other thing is, because it has so many inputs, it can’t be beaten, maybe on the hottest of days because it will just go to full speed just the same but through a series of different conditions it will always arrive at the prescribed temperature because it can constantly monitor the sensors while the driver has other things to do. It is exceptionally good at doing it’s job and it seems such a shame to spend such a lot of money (probably a thousand dollars for the computer, control panel, sensors and servos) when many could have settled for an on/off switch.

Not that I'm aware of. That sounds like some kind of marketing copy. I'm going based on the actual inputs and outputs available to the climate control CPU.
No, not marketing, they’re really good technical explanations with diagrams. I had tons in iCloud but it just filled it up so they’re on my hard drive where I can’t get them. I’ve found one on the EPB just as an example;

Attachments

• EPB autohold.pdf
    912.5 KB · Views: 187
Yes, OK I apologise. It does frustrate me when she’s being encouraged to disable the computer that is programmed to do what she wants automatically. Even in Texas where I’ve experienced your summers it will still do exactly the same as overriding it but it will make adjustments year round. Might I suggest that it arrogant to not even consider that. The other thing is, because it has so many inputs, it can’t be beaten, maybe on the hottest of days because it will just go to full speed just the same but through a series of different conditions it will always arrive at the prescribed temperature because it can constantly monitor the sensors while the driver has other things to do. It is exceptionally good at doing it’s job and it seems such a shame to spend such a lot of money (probably a thousand dollars for the computer, control panel, sensors and servos) when many could have settled for an on/off switch.
The computer may have been programmed with the intent to do what she wants automatically, but the programming is flawed, and flawed beyond the simple fact that it got hung up and requires a reset just to function at all.

Using the single cabin temp sensor in front of the driver's knee, the Auto system does not always ensure that the entire cabin is at the set temperature for each given zone. It does not always direct the air where we might want it, but rather where the logic some programmer developed tells it it should. It does not always set the fan to the speed that is preferred.

A manual system without the auto function would have almost all the same components, save a few sensors and some software (flawed so hopefully not too much development dollars spent) in the CPU. Hardly a thousand dollars of extra equipment for the Auto function.

No, not marketing, they’re really good technical explanations with diagrams. I had tons in iCloud but it just filled it up so they’re on my hard drive where I can’t get them. I’ve found one on the EPB just as an example;
That looks like the same type of diagrams I provided for the climate control system, with the marketing copy / descriptive text added.

I love the part about how the EPB "reduces the load on the driver" as if it's so hard to press the brake pedal at a stop. This exemplifies how Mazda seems to be so confident they're making everything easier with their feature programming. If they tested properly and worked out the flaws prior to production, that might've been the case. Unfortunately there is quite a lack of thorough testing, which has already become very obvious in at least a dozen areas during my <2k miles of ownership.

There is nothing super advanced about an AC system having an 'AUTO' function. It's been around for around 20ish years in some brands and even comes standard in the base model of lots of vehicles (like the Mazda6)

There is nothing super advanced about an AC system having an 'AUTO' function. It's been around for around 20ish years in some brands and even comes standard in the base model of lots of vehicles (like the Mazda6)
There isn’t, I agree. It is more sophisticated than it used to be but it doesn’t need to be if it isn’t going to get used. A complete waste of time it being there.

The computer may have been programmed with the intent to do what she wants automatically, but the programming is flawed, and flawed beyond the simple fact that it got hung up and requires a reset just to function at all.

Using the single cabin temp sensor in front of the driver's knee, the Auto system does not always ensure that the entire cabin is at the set temperature for each given zone. It does not always direct the air where we might want it, but rather where the logic some programmer developed tells it it should. It does not always set the fan to the speed that is preferred.

A manual system without the auto function would have almost all the same components, save a few sensors and some software (flawed so hopefully not too much development dollars spent) in the CPU. Hardly a thousand dollars of extra equipment for the Auto function.
I’m going to concede but you’ve missed the part where I said that it is possible to get it to hang or shut down however you want to describe it by pressing various buttons - it won’t just do it on its own. However, rebooting it is easy. I was being conservative with the estimation of how much it costs to add automatic climate control over standard, it’s at least a thousand dollars. From what I remember from the meetings it was the second most expensive interior feature to the seats. I think the airbag system might have changed that now. Somebody from one of the vehicle production sites in the USA might be able to elaborate without getting themselves into trouble if there’s any on here.

I’m going to concede but you’ve missed the part where I said that it is possible to get it to hang or shut down however you want to describe it by pressing various buttons - it won’t just do it on its own. However, rebooting it is easy. I was being conservative with the estimation of how much it costs to add automatic climate control over standard, it’s at least a thousand dollars. From what I remember from the meetings it was the second most expensive interior feature to the seats. I think the airbag system might have changed that now. Somebody from one of the vehicle production sites in the USA might be able to elaborate without getting themselves into trouble if there’s any on here.
So sticking with Mazda, on a Mazda 3 Select (includes dual zone automatic climate control), which has a dealer invoice price in the $22k range, backing out Mazda Corporate's current gross profit margin of roughly 21% leaves us with roughly a $17k vehicle cost for Mazda. You're saying that $1k of that, or almost 6% of the total cost of the car is in the upgrade from manual to automatic climate control. I find that extremely doubtful.

Just to add, at retail, there is a $1,200 increase to go from S to Select, which includes all of the below. That does not seem to line up with the first item costing the manufacturer over $1,000.
  • Dual zone automatic climate control.
  • Upgrade from 16" to 18" wheels
  • Upgrade to Advanced keyless entry system
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Mirror turn signal indicators
  • Rear center arm rest with cup holders
  • Leatherette sport seats
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
One more addition, why is it possible to get it to hang or shut down at all? Shouldn't any pressing of buttons also turn off the Auto setting? It's not like I can input custom code, there are fixed buttons that the computer should be able to properly respond to.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sticking with Mazda, on a Mazda 3 Select (includes dual zone automatic climate control), which has a dealer invoice price in the $22k range, backing out Mazda Corporate's current gross profit margin of roughly 21% leaves us with roughly a $17k vehicle cost for Mazda. You're saying that $1k of that, or almost 6% of the total cost of the car is in the upgrade from manual to automatic climate control. I find that extremely doubtful.

Just to add, at retail, there is a $1,200 increase to go from S to Select, which includes all of the below. That does not seem to line up with the first item costing the manufacturer over $1,000.
  • Dual zone automatic climate control.
  • Upgrade from 16" to 18" wheels
  • Upgrade to Advanced keyless entry system
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Mirror turn signal indicators
  • Rear center arm rest with cup holders
  • Leatherette sport seats
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
One more addition, why is it possible to get it to hang or shut down at all? Shouldn't any pressing of buttons also turn off the Auto setting? It's not like I can input custom code, there are fixed buttons that the computer should be able to properly respond to.
I might have to eat humble pie on the heater thing. I think the price might include the heater hardware but I do remember it coming up in discussion and several of us were surprised how expensive it was. They had a breakdown of manufacturing costs in order to tell us how expensive our braking system was. It would be interesting to get someone in the know currently to comment. Regarding the heater hanging, I don’t put such importance on why it hangs as to how to get out of it. I’m not aware that it’s a common problem.

I might have to eat humble pie on the heater thing. I think the price might include the heater hardware but I do remember it coming up in discussion and several of us were surprised how expensive it was. They had a breakdown of manufacturing costs in order to tell us how expensive our braking system was. It would be interesting to get someone in the know currently to comment. Regarding the heater hanging, I don’t put such importance on why it hangs as to how to get out of it. I’m not aware that it’s a common problem.
Perhaps that $1k plus was the cost of the total auto climate control system and not the increase in cost over the comparable manual version. From experience, even when the actual Finance people are involved, unless it’s official financial reports, figures often get misconstrued.

I think I’m probably more critical of the fact that it hangs at all because I’ve never experienced it in another vehicle and I’ve been finding what I consider to be many small flaws in Mazda’s programming of various systems. Someone else started this thread so I’m not alone in having it just brick itself on a new ’21. In my case I was simply turning the temp knob up from 68 to 72 because it was the first cool morning and I wanted a bit of extra warmth when it froze up. I did exactly like you recommend and turned off the climate control and then put it back on into Auto again and it has been fine since.

⋯ Even in Texas where I’ve experienced your summers it will still do exactly the same as overriding it but it will make adjustments year round. Might I suggest that it arrogant to not even consider that. The other thing is, because it has so many inputs, it can’t be beaten, maybe on the hottest of days because it will just go to full speed just the same but through a series of different conditions it will always arrive at the prescribed temperature because it can constantly monitor the sensors while the driver has other things to do. It is exceptionally good at doing it’s job and it seems such a shame to spend such a lot of money (probably a thousand dollars for the computer, control panel, sensors and servos) when many could have settled for an on/off switch.
Just gave the Auto mode on Automatic Climate Control another try this morning on my CX-5. Once I started the engine, a full blast of warm air coming out from the face vents! I know in cold winter a full blast of very cold air will be coming out from the foot vents and some from face vents too in Auto mode. That’s so uncomfortable in both cases, and I immediately turned down the fan speed which also disabled the Auto mode. BTW, the Auto mode still relies on my intervention to activate the AC by pressing the “AC” button, which to me is not “Auto” at all during non-winter time.

Just gave the Auto mode on Automatic Climate Control another try this morning on my CX-5. Once I started the engine, a full blast of warm air coming out from the face vents! I know in cold winter a full blast of very cold air will be coming out from the foot vents and some from face vents too in Auto mode. That’s so uncomfortable in both cases, and I immediately turned down the fan speed which also disabled the Auto mode. BTW, the Auto mode still relies on my intervention to activate the AC by pressing the “AC” button, which to me is not “Auto” at all during non-winter time.
Do the same again tomorrow on your current settings and see what happens. It’s impossible for it to not blow hot from a long period of inactivity because it has to build up pressure. All cars do even with manual air conditioning. The AC should default to where it was left. They must have two different versions of the “automatic climate control” - one for the US and one for other markets because none of my four CX-5s blew cold air on a cold day. They all functioned, well, perfectly for some reason.
To the OP, I highly recommend she overrides auto and if that doesn’t work, take it to the dealer because it’s broken.

Last edited:
Perhaps that $1k plus was the cost of the total auto climate control system and not the increase in cost over the comparable manual version. From experience, even when the actual Finance people are involved, unless it’s official financial reports, figures often get misconstrued.

I think I’m probably more critical of the fact that it hangs at all because I’ve never experienced it in another vehicle and I’ve been finding what I consider to be many small flaws in Mazda’s programming of various systems. Someone else started this thread so I’m not alone in having it just brick itself on a new ’21. In my case I was simply turning the temp knob up from 68 to 72 because it was the first cool morning and I wanted a bit of extra warmth when it froze up. I did exactly like you recommend and turned off the climate control and then put it back on into Auto again and it has been fine since.
They had got our prices right but they’d have to. They were hitting us with a big stick to get our prices down. I think it was Ford but they all did it from time to time.

Incidentally, they were negotiating prices to 2 decimal points on brake pads. We pay about £70 for a set of oem pads but they were taking them for about £1.50.xx. They have to be boxed (X4) and labelled for spares but the mark up is obscene.

I did notice from the picture that the AC fan was not on. I hope she tried to push the fan button. Ed

Back