2020 CX-5, way to disable "Engine Harmonics Enhancer" (Fake Engine Noise)?

I would really like the ability to select the sound. One day a throaty V8, another a high reviving racing 4 cylinder, and then the sound of a Rolls. At a stoplight, you open the window..turn up the volume for the V8 and give it some gas. LOL
There's an Android app called RevHeadz Engine Sounds that lets you choose different engine sounds and uses an OBDII adapter to match to vehicle revs. I haven't tried it yet, but it's free and looks like it could be entertaining for a day.

I would really like the ability to select the sound. One day a throaty V8, another a high reviving racing 4 cylinder, and then the sound of a Rolls. At a stoplight, you open the window..turn up the volume for the V8 and give it some gas. LOL

Ford does exactly this with their V6's... they play recorded V8 noises through the speakers inside the cabin as you drive. They do it with some of their other vehicles too but I don't keep up with Ford products very often.

Can I make mine sound like a formula one car from the pre-turbo era, specifically, say 2006?

Thanks.

"There's an Android app called RevHeadz Engine Sounds"
Thanks. That's an interesting site..they added the iphone......
I tried it out today. It's kinda fun when you are accelerating, but when driving at a constant speed, the droning gets annoying. Plus, I don't think there is a way to listen to music while using the app.

My wife and I drove one yesterday and loved it. Way more zippy and responsive than our 2018. Had the audio off though so I’m assuming this “feature” would be mute?? We’re picking one of these up tomorrow so I’ll be quizzing my salesman about turning this off.

I found this blurb about this and I’m not entirely sure if sound is pumped into the audio as inferred. This makes it sound like the engine itself is getting tuned. I have no idea though.

“Mazda claims that the CX-5 benefits from an all new “Engine Harmonics Enhancer” that supposedly “tunes the engine with a much more refined and more powerful sound.””

when driving at a constant speed, the droning gets annoying.
Exactly why you should have the option to disable this gimmick.

We drive to Florida every winter (well, we did before the Covid thing) and there's nothing I want less than to hear fake engine noises in my cabin droning on and on for 8 hours straight on the interstate.

Just the opposite actually: We want to drive in a peaceful QUIET car on these long trips.
Hours and hours of phony engine noise would be like Chinese water torture.

I'll ask again: who's asked for this feature, and who thought it was a good idea?

I found this blurb about this and I’m not entirely sure if sound is pumped into the audio as inferred. This makes it sound like the engine itself is getting tuned. I have no idea though.

“Mazda claims that the CX-5 benefits from an all new “Engine Harmonics Enhancer” that supposedly “tunes the engine with a much more refined and more powerful sound.””

Yes, it's a simulated sound that plays through the speakers(to make it sound more "refined" and make it sound more "powerful"), and hitting "mute" or turning the stereo off does not disable it, I can confirm that. The Ford's were real tricky people had to do some splice mods to cut it out since there was no option to turn it off.

I wouldn't be surprised if the salesman knew nothing about it and would say anything that you would want to hear just to close the sale, so be prepared for such an answer, a "yes man" type of response if you will.

But again, like I said earlier, after hearing the 2020 CX-5 turbo's in reviews, it's not too offensive, unlike some other cars out there that really exaggerate the sound inside the cabin to make it sound more "powerful"/"sporty". At the end of the day, it's just a gimmick, one that some may appreciate, but personally I'd like the choice/freedom to disable it for a quiet and more refined cabin ride.

I have a 2020 CX5 Turbo and for me this is a non issue. You only really hear the engine when you get on it hard, it is not overly loud, droning or monotonous. If the non-enhanced engine note sounded tinny or droning and Mazda did this to make the experience better then I am glad they did.

Very surprising to me that someone would skip buying a car that they like over this issue.

I have a 2020 CX5 Turbo and for me this is a non issue. You only really hear the engine when you get on it hard, it is not overly loud, droning or monotonous. If the non-enhanced engine note sounded tinny or droning and Mazda did this to make the experience better then I am glad they did.

Very surprising to me that someone would skip buying a car that they like over this issue.
driving a '19 turbo which supposedly does not have any fake noise added, i promise you the engine sounds brilliant on its own. For a car company that prides itself on the driving experience, any fake additives is a step backwards.

My Volkswagen GTI had this..was pretty common on models from 2007 Forward . I believe it was called the Soundkator. If you put the car in “sport” mode it adjusted the volume of the fake engine noise to make it sportier (louder).

driving a '19 turbo which supposedly does not have any fake noise added, i promise you the engine sounds brilliant on its own. For a car company that prides itself on the driving experience, any fake additives is a step backwards.
my 2018 2.5G sounds awful. But I think its a good engine and I prefer they optimize for performance and mileage rather than sound.

I'm coming from a V6 Acura, but this is also worse than 4 cylinder Hondas.

I personally do not consider this a deal breaker, however, I was curious to know if there was an option in the infotainment settings to disable it since it's a new feature for the 2020 and beyond. Personally, I think it would be nice to have the option to disable or enable it. I know the new Hyundai/Kia/Genesis vehicles have the option to totally disable it, or tune/tweak it(they have like a low, medium, high setting on how aggressive you want the fake engine noise to simulate, or you can disable it altogether).

Agreed, with many above. I don't need fake engine noise. I would rather have a quiet cabin. I did not know Mazda had this and i took a test drive of a Sig two weeks ago and i came back and told the sales rep i thought the engine was louder then i would have liked.

I left the dealer thinking this car was much louder then when i helped a friend get a Touring model. Not cool.

The question here again. Can this be turned off???

Back