2020 CX-5 transmission fluid level

There should be a dipstick somewhere but I'm sure it's not easy to find. Either dipstick or plug.
There has to be some way to check the level.

There is not a mention of this in the owners manual so I assume that you need a computer to check this?
No you don’t really need a Mazda computer to check the ATF level. You can use the blue cold coolant temperature indicator on gen-1 CX-5, or use a cheap OBDII reader to get ATF temperature which is good enough while taking the read on ATF level with dipstick.

Now, if your 2020 CX-5 has the 2.5T, then you might just forget about the ATF level checking as the turbo plumbing is almost totally blocked the access to ATF dipstick!

C20EEA30-E3C3-4948-9C3E-EE551A1321C2.jpeg

E4AA5C2E-78CA-4DE9-B7D4-E8AC9C071761.jpeg

Reactions: MM8
No you don’t really need a Mazda computer to check the ATF level. You can use the blue cold coolant temperature indicator on gen-1 CX-5, or use a cheap OBDII reader to get ATF temperature which is good enough while taking the read on ATF level with dipstick.

Now, if your 2020 CX-5 has the 2.5T, then you might just forget about the ATF level checking as the turbo plumbing is almost totally blocked the access to ATF dipstick!

View attachment 228971
View attachment 228972

Jeese maybe I will just use the time tested method of looking at my garage floor for drips and if I don't see anything it's ok.

Jeese maybe I will just use the time tested method of looking at my garage floor for drips and if I don't see anything it's ok.
Unfortunately many 2.5L owners who did the ATF change and found the ATF level from factory was low.

If you have a 2.5L, it’s not that difficult to check ATF level.

Yeah I went the Torque Pro route to be in the "good enough" ball park. In hindsight I don't think I checked level before changing ATF fluid. On after. Car still works and shifts good.

Sucks for Turbo owners if dipstick is hard to get to.

A bit off topic but I just learned the CRV CVT has a 30k mile CVT fluid change interval. Key to ensure proper warranty coverage meaning you may be screwed if you don't have proof it was changed at 30k miles. For those that don't DIY change yourself this is added dealership cost.

On the CX-5 you can change it double the interval at very 60k (after warranty expires) if you chose to do so.

Reactions: MM8
A bit off topic but I just learned the CRV CVT has a 30k mile CVT fluid change interval. Key to ensure proper warranty coverage meaning you may be screwed if you don't have proof it was changed at 30k miles. For those that don't DIY change yourself this is added dealership cost.

On the CX-5 you can change it double the interval at very 60k (after warranty expires) if you chose to do so.
Honda has been using Maintenance Minder™ system which is similar to CX-5’s Flexible OCI to calculate all maintenance schedule. There’s no Fixed OCI for any maintenance items since 2017(?), but relies on on-board computer calculation to display maintenance codes for required maintenance, A or B for main maintenance items (oil change and more) and 1 ~ 7 for sub-items (3 for for replacing transmission fluid). Fixed 30K-mile CVT fluid OCI simply is not correct. In severe driving conditions, such as:
“Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000km).“

Many CR-V owners claimed they haven’t seen code 3 even at 40K miles, and they don’t expect to see it any time soon.

Just for reference from Honda’s recommendation on ATF replacement intervals between normal and severe driving conditions on my 1998 Honda CR-V, they’re 90K miles / 72 months for normal, but 30K miles / 24 months for severe driving condition.

As for the cost, CR-V owners say it’s $80 ~ $90 for CVT fluid change at a Honda dealer, and the owner’s manual suggests checking and replacing the CVT fluid only at a Honda dealer.

That's interesting that Honda has those short CVT fluid change intervals. I have always been worried about the CVT in my wife's 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. There have been issues with these, and Subaru extended the warranty to 100K miles (supposedly to avoid a recall). So I take it to the dealer for the 30K mile checkups so there is a record, but they say it's a "lifetime" fluid and they don't change it. It's almost due for a 60K mile check, and I may insist on a change.

….
Now, if your 2020 CX-5 has the 2.5T, then you might just forget about the ATF level checking as the turbo plumbing is almost totally blocked the access to ATF dipstick!...
I'm wondering if anyone owning a 2.5T has tried to access the ATF dipstick via the coolant drain service hole, located on cover #1 (driver side). During the oil change I did last week, I removed that service hole cover and discovered that I can easily reach the ATF dipstick on my 2020 2.5L. And my daughter's 2019 2.5L has the same configuration as well.

Although accessing the dipstick via this service hole would be blind, I don't think that's an issue because it can be pulled straight up, and then out the hole for observation. No idea if there's something in the way down there on the 2.5T, but it's a clear pathway to the dipstick on the 2.5L. Wouldn't take more than 5 minutes for someone with a 2.5T to check it out.

Back