2020 CX-5 sub/amp install with Bose system...Questions

Hello! New owner of the CX5. I removed the sub/amp from my previous vehicle and now I'm wanting to install on the Mazda. My CX5 has the Bose system and I've read a few posts about some PAC attachment? Do I HAVE to buy it? I just want to re-use my hardware, slice into some wires, and go about my day. Should I splice into the wires that connect to the tuner/amp that's near the glovebox or splice into the wires in the back for the Bose "sub"? Thanks!

I’m trying to make a how to/sticky for those who want to upgrade the ‘19 Mazda CX-5 Bose Sub.

I have a thread about upgrading my Bose Sub to JBL Basspro Hub.
Need to know where the Bose amp for the sub is.
Also, if/where you need to wire in the remote cable for the JBL Basspro Hub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I wired my bass hub into the front speaker wiring between head unit and factory amp (non Bose) depending on year or model position of amp varies - mine was in passenger footwell - main thing is don’t wire in after amp. Also depending on model I used scosche wiring adaptors to avoid cutting wiring - plug and play - there is a 12v line within the head - loom to amp but I preferred using switched 12v direct from fuse box using piggy back fuse for remote and 12v power direct from battery fused within 6” as a backup for physical wire between battery and sub and grounded under boot cover near bass pro - I believe on some Bose setups amp is under centre console between front seats doesn’t really matter as you need to connect in before it - nearer head unit if possible.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify 12 V from the cars battery and ground from a cable to the body of the car. Just curious where the Bose amp is in my 2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR. Some say in the passenger floor board on the right side while others say it’s in the center console.
Finally it was mentioned that there is a Bolton harness that can be used prior to the amp to run the speaker wires to the sub.

Upvote 0
Unsure of the make of plug in harness for your car on my 2018 Mk2 I used a scosche plug loom - and just spliced in speaker out puts in replacement loom to avoid cutting cables - small amp is usually under front seat/central console for bose and passenger footwell for non bose - hope this helps - the jbl active sub is fused - but I ran new lead from battery and fused at battery connection to protect lead against shorts etc. between there and boot connection and earthed JBL under rear seat near boot - there are existing holes suitable for this and just a case of sanding/grinding off paint around them slightly for a good connection whilst keeping the wiring as short as possible - running positive from battery not too hard as the plastic trims inside doors etc are easily removed for a route and you can get into the boot by removing rear seat base - there is also a pre drilled hole with existing wiring into car from under hood behind and just below battery where there is just enough room to squeeze through and sheath with a cable pulling/threading 6mm rod - fiddly but if you take it steady easily achievable 😊

Upvote 0
PSif you struggle getting power lead through existing grommet from hood side - there is always the option of drilling a new hole from passenger side in pre set hole areas not drilled through - for right hand drive cars - 10mm hole & new grommet - behind glove box 🤔

Upvote 0
PSif you struggle getting power lead through existing grommet from hood side - there is always the option of drilling a new hole from passenger side in pre set hole areas not drilled through - for right hand drive cars - 10mm hole & new grommet - behind glove box 🤔
Never drill holes in metal, it's just asking for problems.

Besides, the battery is not on passenger side.

Run power down drivers, tap preamps at Bose amp on passenger side.

Car audio 101: Always run signal separate from power.

Upvote 0
Unsure of the make of plug in harness for your car on my 2018 Mk2 I used a scosche plug loom - and just spliced in speaker out puts in replacement loom to avoid cutting cables - small amp is usually under front seat/central console for bose and passenger footwell for non bose - hope this helps - the jbl active sub is fused - but I ran new lead from battery and fused at battery connection to protect lead against shorts etc. between there and boot connection and earthed JBL under rear seat near boot - there are existing holes suitable for this and just a case of sanding/grinding off paint around them slightly for a good connection whilst keeping the wiring as short as possible - running positive from battery not too hard as the plastic trims inside doors etc are easily removed for a route and you can get into the boot by removing rear seat base - there is also a pre drilled hole with existing wiring into car from under hood behind and just below battery where there is just enough room to squeeze through and sheath with a cable pulling/threading 6mm rod - fiddly but if you take it steady easily achievable 😊
Was the scosche plug at the TAU in the dash (for some reason I envisioned it being at the amplifier)?

Did you end up with low level line outputs suitable for an amp/dsp?

Something like this...
1667110893862.png

Also do you have the pin-out you referenced to sort out which pos./neg. was for which channel?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Finally got around to making the T connector/splice.

Used the following items

Female RCA ends

Connector Male

Connector Female

Followed this DIY

and used this pin out for reference:
xcgQ9Xw.png

took a while to do, as I'm a bit ocd with making sure wiring is correct. But, soldered, heatshinked, and tesa taped the whole thing so it's clean.

Now just need an amp wiring kit, amp, and speakers :)

Thanks Phil!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back