2019 CX-5 Signature, Seat discomfort?

i al also a large person. 6*5*. 250 lb. I like everything about the CX5 but the seats. I obtained some very firm foam (from a very old military Jeep cushion) about 2in. Thick. I cut it to just fit between the bolsters. I can now drive all day comfortably.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size bucket.

A simple, excellent solution. Well done.

i al also a large person. 6*5*. 250 lb. I like everything about the CX5 but the seats. I obtained some very firm foam (from a very old military Jeep cushion) about 2in. Thick. I cut it to just fit between the bolsters. I can now drive all day comfortably.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size bucket.

That's a good idea. I was gonna ask if anyone had purchased cushions to help with the issue.

I've had my Reserve since March and still squirm a bit. I still have to make a conscious effort to get dead-center behind the wheel. I've had nearly 30 years of driving spacious pickup trucks, so I'm still adjusting.

I just might go get myself some foam and fashion a booster.

edit to add: My local Walmart actually has seat cushion foam in stock for under $7. 18"x18"x2" Gonna make a trip tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's a good idea. I was gonna ask if anyone had purchased cushions to help with the issue.

I just might go get myself some foam and fashion a booster.

Note. The foam I used is VERY firm. You can not press your fist down enough to bottom out in it. I cut it to size with a table saw.

Your mileage may vary. I went this route because I didn*t want the foam to crush between the bolsters. I essentially have a small bench seat. BTW I made a cardboard template and cut the foam on a angle to conform to the sides of the bolsters

Last edited:
Note. The foam I used is VERY firm. You can not press your fist down enough to bottom out in it. I cut it to size with a table saw.

Your mileage may vary. I went this route because I didn*t want the foam to crush between the bolsters. I essentially have a small bench seat. BTW I made a cardboard template and cut the foam on a angle to conform to the sides of the bolsters

Thanks.
Gotcha.

This is "replace your dining room chair seat" cushion.

Maybe I'll go to an upholstery shop and see if I can buy some scrap. Or this might work for my shape and my size. For $7 I might see if this fills in a gap that's causing my discomfort. Of course, I'll lose my seat ventilation.

I've said it before: I've been driving since 1970 and have never encountered anything like this (foreign and domestic manufacturers and models going back to the 50s), nor have I had a car where the manual gives step-by-step instructions on adjusting the seat so that I sit they way they think I should sit.

Avoided Deer,I too found my seats to be uncomfortable.My main complaint was the firmness of seat bottom and side bolsters.I believe we are of similar build,Im 5*10 150 lbs.32 in.waist.I bought a seat cushion on Amazon,memory foam 1.2 inch by King Phenik,comes in black or grey.The width is same as our seats,the memory foam side bolsters compress perfectly,thickness of seat bottom adds just enough cushion.Works well with seat heater and your dislike of sitting on leather is solved! I believe anyone with seat issues would benefit..Happy motoring Folks.

A good web site to buy or learn about the technical differences between types of foam is thefoamfactory.Com

I have learned it is bad for your hips and nerves to sit in a bucket seat that squeezes you sideways. A slab is better.

Different foam densities work differently for people of different sizes and weights.

So I've got the CX-5 Signature Series, and my issue is that the seats are just too damn hard. Was hoping they'd break in, but after 5,500 miles, no change. Normal-sized guy, athletic, 5'8", 170 lbs. For the guys having left leg problems, one thing I've noticed is that the "dead pedal" isn't wide enough for my foot, so I never really can get comfortable. Also, because of that narrowness, your foot is forced into an abnormal position perpendicular to the ground, instead of being able to "splay" naturally. Very uncomfortable. So, two issues and I love the rest of the car completely! So...going to try to widen the "dead pedal" to see if that resolves issue #2. But...I love ventilated seats. How seriously has anyone researched swapping these seats out for aftermarket, ventilated seats? Does such a beast exist? And yes, I'd spend thousands if needed, because I'm currently looking at upgrading to a Macan or an SQ5, but I hate to if I can just fix these two issues.

2017 GT. i doubt the seats have change much but they are pretty uncomfortable. i even complained about them in the mazda new buyer survey. for me the hip bolsters are too stuff and the seat bottom is too flat and short. the seats are really my only complaint about the car.

So I've got the CX-5 Signature Series, and my issue is that the seats are just too damn hard. Was hoping they'd break in, but after 5,500 miles, no change. Normal-sized guy, athletic, 5'8", 170 lbs. For the guys having left leg problems, one thing I've noticed is that the "dead pedal" isn't wide enough for my foot, so I never really can get comfortable. Also, because of that narrowness, your foot is forced into an abnormal position perpendicular to the ground, instead of being able to "splay" naturally. Very uncomfortable. So, two issues and I love the rest of the car completely! So...going to try to widen the "dead pedal" to see if that resolves issue #2. But...I love ventilated seats. How seriously has anyone researched swapping these seats out for aftermarket, ventilated seats? Does such a beast exist? And yes, I'd spend thousands if needed, because I'm currently looking at upgrading to a Macan or an SQ5, but I hate to if I can just fix these two issues.
I think the best advice I've seen so far is to take the car to an automotive upholstery shop and work with them. I've never done this. I have no idea what the process might be to ensure that when they've finished, they've actually solved the problem

I went to Walmart and purchased a seat pad that is about 1.5 inches thisk and fits between the hard bolsters that was workable solution.. Hopefully MAZDA will discover that most of the CX5 buyers don't need large hard bolsters for 0.9% g cornering . Ed

I have a 2016 GT which has some of the most comfortable seats of any car I have owned over the last 30 years. It was the main reason I bought a new 2020 Signature, that and the Turbo. After 200 miles in the Signature, I found this discussion while searching for seat discomfort. The bolsters hit me right in the back of my thighs, my 30 minute commute is getting painful. I did some measurements of both my 16 and 20, the area between the bolsters in the 16 was 14 inches, the area in the 2020 was 12 inches. I am not a big guy, 5'10, 190 pounds. I get back in the 16 and I love it, get in the 20 and I am ready to trade it in for something different. I am sure my daughter would love to trade the 16 for the 20 but I am looking at new options, what a shame.....

I have a 2016 GT which has some of the most comfortable seats of any car I have owned over the last 30 years. It was the main reason I bought a new 2020 Signature, that and the Turbo. After 200 miles in the Signature, I found this discussion while searching for seat discomfort. The bolsters hit me right in the back of my thighs, my 30 minute commute is getting painful. I did some measurements of both my 16 and 20, the area between the bolsters in the 16 was 14 inches, the area in the 2020 was 12 inches. I am not a big guy, 5'10, 190 pounds. I get back in the 16 and I love it, get in the 20 and I am ready to trade it in for something different. I am sure my daughter would love to trade the 16 for the 20 but I am looking at new options, what a shame.....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) was recommended by another member and it has given me some relief. It fills in that sharp transition from the seat bottom to the bolster. It has not completely fixed the issue, but it's taken the edge off. I'm retired, so do not drive the car daily. I've considered buying a second cushion and doing a double-layer.

It really is a disappointment in an otherwise stellar car, isn't it?

I wonder how hard it would be to switch seats? It is too bad the bolsters are too close together. I have read that flat seats are better than bucket seats. I guess this is why.

I wonder how hard it would be to switch seats? It is too bad the bolsters are too close together. I have read that flat seats are better than bucket seats. I guess this is why.
They have 8-way power seats and ventilation. I don't know how that affects the ability to switch them out. Then there's the issue of trying to find something to match the interior and/or the remaining seats.

Others have discussed going to an upholstery shop to have them worked on, but you're taking a chance that you'll exit the [expensive] process better off and not worse off.

At least no one's mentioned plastic surgery as an option...yet.

Hey Jim, so I've tackled this problem in two ways. The first was I ordered these cushions (pictured) off Amazon for $30. They are breathable and don't completely obscure the ventilation of the ventilated seats. Unfortunately this company didn't have one that matches the color of the interior, even though what they picture in their ad as "tan" looks like it should be a match. Anyways, game changer!! Used to get sore after less than an hour driving, now I'm still good for at least 1.5 hours (haven't ventured further). The second thing I did was to do some arts & crafts with some high-density foam and carpet and widen the "dead pedal" (footrest) by an inch. I was endlessly shifting for a comfortable position before...now, problem gone! No, I'm not trying to make any more of these, lol!! Good luck, I'm so happy I spent the couple of hours and maybe $60 on supplies to make this thing a keeper.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 263
  • cushion.JPG
    cushion.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 270
Hey Jim, so I've tackled this problem in two ways. The first was I ordered these cushions (pictured) off Amazon for $30. They are breathable and don't completely obscure the ventilation of the ventilated seats. Unfortunately this company didn't have one that matches the color of the interior, even though what they picture in their ad as "tan" looks like it should be a match. Anyways, game changer!! Used to get sore after less than an hour driving, now I'm still good for at least 1.5 hours (haven't ventured further). The second thing I did was to do some arts & crafts with some high-density foam and carpet and widen the "dead pedal" (footrest) by an inch. I was endlessly shifting for a comfortable position before...now, problem gone! No, I'm not trying to make any more of these, lol!! Good luck, I'm so happy I spent the couple of hours and maybe $60 on supplies to make this thing a keeper.
Yes, most seat cushions will block the air of the ventilated seats with CX-5 Signature.

Yes, most seat cushions will block the air of the ventilated seats with CX-5 Signature.
And if you read the Q&A for this product, the vendor says that they don't transfer heat very well from heated leather seats. I have no idea why they specify issues with heated leather seats...sometimes things get lost in translation.

I would not try to use ventilation or heat with a cushion blocking air flow/trapping in heat. I plane to pull my cushion out from under me to use those features.

And if you read the Q&A for this product, the vendor says that they don't transfer heat very well from heated leather seats. I have no idea why they specify issues with heated leather seats...sometimes things get lost in translation.

I would not try to use ventilation or heat with a cushion blocking air flow/trapping in heat. I plane to pull my cushion out from under me to use those features.

I was planning to do the same thing, remove the cushion when I wanted to use heat/vent. I was just shocked that I could still feel the ventilation so well through this cushion! All things considered though, I'd probably be willing to give up heat/vent just for the comfort gained by a little $30 cushion. My CX-5 went from unbearably uncomfortable to being just fine. A great little SUV but with one major flaw...these damn seats!

I was planning to do the same thing, remove the cushion when I wanted to use heat/vent. I was just shocked that I could still feel the ventilation so well through this cushion! All things considered though, I'd probably be willing to give up heat/vent just for the comfort gained by a little $30 cushion. My CX-5 went from unbearably uncomfortable to being just fine. A great little SUV but with one major flaw...these damn seats!
That's good to know that you can feel the ventilation through it. That pretty much means the system is not being blocked.

One of these days I may talk to an upholstery shop, but I'm not certain that any of them would have experience with remediating such an issue, especially when we all seem to have different comfort issues. They could build a comfortable seat, but to fix someone else's design issue???

Back