2018 Mazda CX 9 Pricing

We bought 2018 CX9 AWD Grand Touring yesterday for $37,637. Includes everything but state tax and title. That's 12.9% off sticker price ($43,210).

OTD with 6% MD Tax+Title: $40,230

We've used emails to negotiate and didn't haggle the price at all at the dealership saving us time and nerves.
This is the best car we ever had. The pair before us traded in their Audi SUV for CX-5 (rlaugh).

Hope this information helps someone to get a good deal near the end of the year. Good luck with shopping!

That's a very good deal. I paid just a little less for the FWD version. I could not get any dealers to negotiate via email. I don't think they wanted to have anything in writing. Two weeks after buying, some of the dealers are finally now giving me their prices. None are anywhere near what I got. One of the other dealers I did visit didn't want to give me their price since they said I would just use it to get a better deal from my first dealer. Any tips on how you got them to negotiate?

That's a very good deal. I paid just a little less for the FWD version. I could not get any dealers to negotiate via email. I don't think they wanted to have anything in writing. Two weeks after buying, some of the dealers are finally now giving me their prices. None are anywhere near what I got. One of the other dealers I did visit didn't want to give me their price since they said I would just use it to get a better deal from my first dealer. Any tips on how you got them to negotiate?

How many dealers you've tried? Some dealers already hit their quotas for the year, you have to find the hungriest one.
I've opened Google maps and searched for every Mazda dealer in 70-mile radius, about twenty of them in Baltimore/DC area. Clicked through their websites, copy-pasting my email with quote request to the Contact Us form.

Some of them didn't reply or replied with "call us / come over / etc" bs, but most of them replied with numbers in writing within first hour.
Scanned the offers, picked the best one and replied to the rest asking to beat it. No one was able to so the next day we went there and bought it.

The next best offer wasn't bad either within $300. Hope this helps.

I negotiated an 18 Touring AWD with premium package down to 35,600. This is pre ttl and any rebates or lotalty bonuses. It seems like a fair price to me, but any insight is appreciated. Can I do better?
Are you first sure that you only want a Touring? I have seen couple of guys in this forum, regretting for not getting a GT. Just recently, we convinced one person to go with a GT:)

Last edited:
Are you first sure that you only want a Touring? I have seen couple of guys in this forum, regretting for not getting a GT. Just recently, we convinced one person to go with a GT:)

We were thinking about Touring/Premium but after seeing it in person 18" wheels looked too small on this car. Wish they would go with 19" standard.

Of course I'd prefer a GT model, but going with the touring was entirely a financial decision. The increase in price plus the slightly lower residual value increased the monthly payment significantly. I really wish I had those awesome headlights, thought.

I ended up with a Touring plus the premium package and more than satisfied. It's lightyears above the '14 CX-5 I was driving in terms over overall quality and features.

Of course I'd prefer a GT model, but going with the touring was entirely a financial decision. The increase in price plus the slightly lower residual value increased the monthly payment significantly. I really wish I had those awesome headlights, thought.

I ended up with a Touring plus the premium package and more than satisfied. It's lightyears above the '14 CX-5 I was driving in terms over overall quality and features.

Congrats on your purchase. Have fun with your new CX 9.

Karthik, I see you already bought yours - congrats! I think you got a great deal on the Red... My Gray 2018 GT was $40k OTD if paid in full, I did 60mo 0%, so that was $41k and change. In my area (Northern VA), they didnt even have any Reds, so I really liked the Red but didnt even try for it because with such limited supply I figured there is no way Id get as good of a deal. I now have 250miles on it, and its been great, hope youre enjoying yours!

Hey folks. Canadian here. I'm looking at a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 with about $1700 in dealer accessories. Using the mazda.ca website, this build comes out to just shy of $57k all in (cash). After talking to a few dealerships, I have an offer of $55k all in, plus free 3M bumper, hood and side mirror application. There's also a promo for a free Bose device if I buy before the end of the year, but that's not really a big deal to me. $55,000 CAD works out to about $42,700 USD. Basically only $1500 USD off, plus free 3M treatment. Should I fight for more? I figured I would solidify a cash price first, then figure out financing afterwards. Seems like others are getting $4-5000 off the sticker price.

Or would I be better off saying no to the 3M treatment to get a better cash price, then doing some paint protection film or coating like Opti-coat on my own?

I'm at a loss here, this is my first time buying new.

You are losing if you are not atleast getting 15% off msrp. This is not a new model any more.

Hey folks. Canadian here. I'm looking at a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 with about $1700 in dealer accessories. Using the mazda.ca website, this build comes out to just shy of $57k all in (cash). After talking to a few dealerships, I have an offer of $55k all in, plus free 3M bumper, hood and side mirror application. There's also a promo for a free Bose device if I buy before the end of the year, but that's not really a big deal to me. $55,000 CAD works out to about $42,700 USD. Basically only $1500 USD off, plus free 3M treatment. Should I fight for more? I figured I would solidify a cash price first, then figure out financing afterwards. Seems like others are getting $4-5000 off the sticker price.

Or would I be better off saying no to the 3M treatment to get a better cash price, then doing some paint protection film or coating like Opti-coat on my own?

I got a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 GT for ~$52,000 CAD all in including winter tires, sensors and alloy rims, remote starter, floor mats for 3 rows and cargo mat. Are you looking at GT or Signature trim?

Always make a deal on the out the door price, including all taxes and title fees. Paint protection programs are usually a scam and they might add a 1000$/ Just refuse. Here is what I did. I went to Mazda's website and built the car and found the MSRP. Then as CrazyBiker suggested, I deducted 15% from the MSRP. Then added a reasonable tax plus title fees. Offered that amount to the dealer. But, only mistake I did was that the sales guy already rolled-in my trade-in into that. So, my asking was only 11% off MSRP. You can ask for 15% below MRP out the door, so that you will have room to negotiate.

Financing is separate. Mazda offers financing through Chase. But, the dealers will try to make you believe, you have to pay more to get the financing offer.

Last edited:
You are losing if you are not atleast getting 15% off msrp. This is not a new model any more.

Curious, where does your figure of 15% come from? Is that just based on your own purchases and experiences in the past? Or do you know for a fact that these models have at least a 15% margin that dealers will give you?

I got a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 GT for ~$52,000 CAD all in including winter tires, sensors and alloy rims, remote starter, floor mats for 3 rows and cargo mat. Are you looking at GT or Signature trim?

Always make a deal on the out the door price, including all taxes and title fees. Paint protection programs are usually a scam and they might add a 1000$/ Just refuse. Here is what I did. I went to Mazda's website and built the car and found the MSRP. Then as CrazyBiker suggested, I deducted 15% from the MSRP. Then added a reasonable tax plus title fees. Offered that amount to the dealer. But, only mistake I did was that the sales guy already rolled-in my trade-in into that. So, my asking was only 11% off MSRP. You can ask for 15% below MRP out the door, so that you will have room to negotiate.

Financing is separate. Mazda offers financing through Chase. But, the dealers will try to make you believe, you have to pay more to get the financing offer.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a Signature. Accessories that were priced into the 55k CAD are: block heater, soft cargo liner, all-weather mats, cargo cover, cargo net, front and rear mud guards, and touch-up paint pen. This also includes AB sales tax (5%) and fees, "no other hidden fees" as the sales manager told me in an email. No trade-in (we're giving the Civic to my in-laws), and we haven't discussed downpayments or financing yet as I want to secure a price before deciding on in-house financing or going through my bank. Paint protection wasn't something I was interested in, but my wife mentioned it and the sales manager said he would throw it in to get my business.

Here's what I've worked out.

MSRP is 50,100.
Options, accessories, fees etc. are an additional 4061.25.
Add 5% sales tax to 54,161.25, and I have 56,869.31. This doesn't include the PPF that was offered.
Sales manager agreed to $55,000 out the door (without financing). With this deal, is appears I'm not really saving much, especially when compared to the 15% off I should be asking for, shown below.

MSRP of 50,100 less 15% is 42,585.
Add 5% sales tax to 46,646.25, and I have 48,978.56 before financing.

Should I just ask for it and see what they come back with? Sorry for all the questions, again, first time buyer here.

Curious, where does your figure of 15% come from? Is that just based on your own purchases and experiences in the past? Or do you know for a fact that these models have at least a 15% margin that dealers will give you?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a Signature. Accessories that were priced into the 55k CAD are: block heater, soft cargo liner, all-weather mats, cargo cover, cargo net, front and rear mud guards, and touch-up paint pen. This also includes AB sales tax (5%) and fees, "no other hidden fees" as the sales manager told me in an email. No trade-in (we're giving the Civic to my in-laws), and we haven't discussed downpayments or financing yet as I want to secure a price before deciding on in-house financing or going through my bank. Paint protection wasn't something I was interested in, but my wife mentioned it and the sales manager said he would throw it in to get my business.

Here's what I've worked out.

MSRP is 50,100.
Add 5% sales tax to 54,161.25, and I have 56,869.31. This doesn't include the PPF that was offered.
Sales manager agreed to $55,000 out the door (without financing). With this deal, is appears I'm not really saving much, especially when compared to the 15% off I should be asking for, shown below.

MSRP of 50,100 less 15% is 42,585.
Add 5% sales tax to 46,646.25, and I have 48,978.56 before financing.

Should I just ask for it and see what they come back with? Sorry for all the questions, again, first time buyer here.

You have to remember that it's a bit different in the US than here in Cda where there are fewer dealerships to deal and negotiate with not to mention the amount of sales and inventory. That's what happened to me with my purchase last year. To be honest not much wiggle room here in Cda given the sales volume of CX9s (only 10% of US sales) therefore the inventories are also not huge. The best tactic I can advise you would be to find other dealers in your area and show them the lowest OTD price you got from that last dealer you negotiated with and try to get them to beat that quote either with a discount or incentives via accessories. Also when you negotiate the price as with any accessories you want make sure that they're giving it to you at cost. I wish the dealer network/sales/inventories are same here as in the US so we can get better deals...

Also when you negotiate, get them to discount the vehicle from its MSRP...the Bose incentive is from Mazda Cda not the dealer so that's separate...if you ask me given our market in Cda that $56-57K OTD price is not that bad...mine cost around $61K after all taxes and fees though where I live the tax was gst-pst 13% not like the 5% you have in AB

In US it is not uncommon to get these kind of discounts. I have succeeded to get these on all my car from various brands.

In US it is not uncommon to get these kind of discounts. I have succeeded to get these on all my car from various brands.

No need to rub it in...we already knew that that's why I already mentioned it on my prev post and quite obvious with the posts on other pricing threads

I got my 18 Signature for 40,300 after loyalty and before tax and fees with the cash offer. I was told that the 0% financing would increase the price by 1k.

As soon as you decide, or tell them, that you will be financing the car and not paying cash, the price goes up.
You will never get the cash price if you finance it, ever.
In your example, 0% financing will cost you $1K. That's not 0%, is it?
Nobody gives money away, so this 0% financing scam is all smoke and mirrors, and they all do it, not just Mazda.
If you finance it, you will pay interest, even if it's invisible.
Just a heads up folks.

Congrats.
My wife really love the Soul Red however it isn't available on the Signature here in CA. Is it in US?

Back