2018 Mazda CX-5 jerky at low speeds

Their aim with cylinder deactivation is to operate at sustained cruising speed between 25mph and 50mph (40km/h to 80km/h).

Not designed to work at idle or other speeds outside the above

Oh, okay, I thought by cruising speed one meant 60+. Still, won't work above 50mph? Mazda needs to do better. On my 4400# Jeep Grand Cherokee, DoD worked up to 80mph if there was no head wind. That's a lot more weight, and a lot less sleek. Then again I suppose it was also a lot more engine displacement dropping down, too, and hey, if free is free, I guess I don't have a valid complaint.

I have yet to notice the cylinder deactivation and I've done close to 200 miles of highway driving this week 50-60-70 mph. I do notice I am getting near 32mpg average and am only on my 2nd tank of gas, can't wait till the engine breaks in.

I have yet to notice the cylinder deactivation and I've done close to 200 miles of highway driving this week 50-60-70 mph. I do notice I am getting near 32mpg average and am only on my 2nd tank of gas, can't wait till the engine breaks in.

You won't notice it kicking in

My CX-5 does this as well. Steady , light throttle from a stop. Just enough to maintain 5mph or so, as if in slow traffic. Feels like surging or lurching. With regular acceleration it is fine. It does not like low speed traffic.

My CX-5 does it as well, from 4-5 mph. So I tend to go a little faster or a little slower to avoid it.

To me it feels exactly like a manual transmission does when you're not giving the car enough gas or slipping the clutch enough.

I had the "master mechanic" at my dealer drive the car for other transmission-related issues/questions and he said the transmission is functioning normally.

I think it depends on what you're used to. I am used to 6-cylinder engines and 3-speed automatic transmissions so in general the transmission does not feel "normal" to me but I am getting used to it.

I think this is probably from expanded tq lock not cylinder deactivation. Especially given the clutch analogy.

My CX-5 does it as well, from 4-5 mph. So I tend to go a little faster or a little slower to avoid it.

To me it feels exactly like a manual transmission does when you're not giving the car enough gas or slipping the clutch enough.

I have this same experience with my 2018 CX-5 and describe it exactly as mentioned above...

When gently accelerating and then coasting from 0-10 MPH, it feels like a manual transmission. That same jerkiness you get if lugging along in 1st gear in stop/go traffic before upshifting to 2nd.

I think this is probably from expanded tq lock not cylinder deactivation. Especially given the clutch analogy.
From the description of the problem Id agree with you that it feels like expanded torque converter lock. But why only 2018 CX-5 owners with new cylinder deactivation are complaining this, and it does have its SA-Drive transmission modified a bit only to overcome potential vibration issue from cylinder deactivation.

Or maybe the flywheel. Didnt they intentionally off balance it to smooth out operation with cylinder deactivation?

I have complained about this and took my 2018 in for a check. It was test driven and checked out. Told all is normal. I think the down shifting on this CX-5 is a poor design, if this is truly normal. At least my complaint is on record. My 2015 CX was much smoother.

I have complained about this and took my 2018 in for a check. It was test driven and checked out. Told all is normal. I think the down shifting on this CX-5 is a poor design, if this is truly normal. At least my complaint is on record. My 2015 CX was much smoother.
Another report from a CX-5 owner who has experience of both 2018 MY and prior. If the problem is only unique to 2018 CX-5, it very likely is related to cylinder deactivation.

Yes, definitely record the problem to Mazda dealer for future protection.

We have noticed it sometimes when driving our 2018 at parking lot speeds..there will be a lugging feeling almost as if the automatic transmission is in a higher gear that it should be for the lower speed of the car.

I had the "master mechanic" at my dealer drive the car for other transmission-related issues/questions and he said the transmission is functioning normally.

I think it depends on what you're used to. I am used to 6-cylinder engines and 3-speed automatic transmissions so in general the transmission does not feel "normal" to me but I am getting used to it.

Was the mechanic able to duplicate the issue you are experiencing?

I've had several cars that were not smooth at low, steady speeds. I describe it as surging.
My CX-5 does not.

Yea I think I can kinda feel a little of the engine braking due to the lock at low speeds but never to the point where I would perceive it as an NVH issue. Im probably also pretty good at being smooth on/off the gas due to years of driving cars with manual transmissions. Maybe a bit driver induced?

Not an NVH issue , it is a surge, gentle bucking sensation. It is NOT driver induced, it is unavoidable when driving at a steady low speed. If you TOUCH the throttle at low speeds, without pressing hard enough to accelerate , the issue occurs. I find myself letting the car roll more than I would in another car, to avoid it from happening.

Around Early October I noticed the engine seem a bit jerky/off. Couldn't tell if it was the engine or tranny. Since temps lowered a bit I wanted to add air to tires and noticed they were all low (25 psi or so). Brought them to spec PSI and noticed the jerkiness went away.

Back