2018 Mazda CX-5 jerky at low speeds

ksz2007

:
CX5
My 2018 mazda cx5, about 1000 miles. When I stop and then press the gas , I felt jerky and stuttering at the low speed sometimes. Is it normal or something wrong with the transmission?

Hard to say without experiencing it but with the expanded use of torque converter lockup if its still locked and in 1st I could see that happening. Ive caught mine off guard and for a bit of a jerk before. Is it like letting the clutch out a bit to fast?

I am not sure whether it likes letting the clutch out a bit to fast. It gave me the feeling like the road is uneven. The car was rolling forward. It lasted for about half minute.

Ok if it lasted that long definitely not normal. I mean like the odd firm shift. Id have it looked at.

Tq converter judder? It's a thing. Take it to the dealer and have it reproduced and see what they will do.

My 2018 mazda cx5, about 1000 miles. When I stop and then press the gas , I felt jerky and stuttering at the low speed sometimes. Is it normal or something wrong with the transmission?

Doesn't sound right to me.

If guys had i-Stop there then that might have explained it. But you guys don't so....

I am not sure whether it likes letting the clutch out a bit to fast. It gave me the feeling like the road is uneven. The car was rolling forward. It lasted for about half minute.
I believe this problem is related to your rough idle/start moving issue you posted before. It could be all coming from software glitches on cylinder deactivation.

Take your 2018 CX-5 back to your dealer and have it checked. While you're there test drive another 2018 CX-5 and see if it feels the same to you.

The new CX5 vibrates a little bit when step on the gas to start after stopping at traffic light or stop sign. Is it normal?

Twice in 25000 miles. I back out from parking and put it in drive. A gentle tap on throttle and the car lurches. That scares the s*** out of me. Other than that low speed yo-yo ing under 15mph is something normal that I experienced. Car feels its gently rocking front or back.

Twice in 25000 miles. I back out from parking and put it in drive. A gentle tap on throttle and the car lurches. That scares the s*** out of me. Other than that low speed yo-yo ing under 15mph is something normal that I experienced. Car feels its gently rocking front or back.

Yep, I have it too.

I know this is not the cause but it actually feels like the disc brakes are warped and we are riding the brake at a slow speed.

I suspect it's a problem with the cylinder deactivation system.

Other than that low speed yo-yo ing under 15mph is something normal that I experienced. Car feels its gently rocking front or back.

Sounds like the low speed throttle surging that I've experienced in a few cars. Makes steady speed city driving very unpleasant. Doesn't happen at all in my CX5. If it's happening in yours, it may not be normal.

I drove today, and found the issue happened again at low speed, no matter stop or not before. When I drove at the speed lower than 10 mph, I felt like something pushed the car forward, then pulled it back.

With a manual in low speed low gear, like 1st under 10 mph, this would happen as you are on/off throttle if youre not slipping the clutch. If the torque converter is locked its basically the same as a fully engaged clutch. So I think the same could happen under those circumstances. I would think the torque converter should be unlocked in this scenario to avoid that. Maybe its not unlocked and causing the issue.

Sounds like the low speed throttle surging that I've experienced in a few cars. Makes steady speed city driving very unpleasant. Doesn't happen at all in my CX5. If it's happening in yours, it may not be normal.

I have never experienced this yo yoing on a proper road, mostly parking lot speeds - under 10 mph or so. Steady city driving is fine. Its so different to cars that coast and do not down shift at all - e.g. toyotas.

If your torque converter is unlocked I guess but when you try to pull away......

Last edited:
What? That sucks. Mazda needs to do better.

Their aim with cylinder deactivation is to operate at sustained cruising speed between 25mph and 50mph (40km/h to 80km/h).

Not designed to work at idle or other speeds outside the above

Back