78A4B45B-91EA-4586-B0BB-13EE2B9162BE.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 150
  • E6AA8586-94A9-4F19-83A6-905F5F8EB5A0.jpeg
    E6AA8586-94A9-4F19-83A6-905F5F8EB5A0.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 29205CD8-9808-4A82-A113-5FC1DBDEE759.jpeg
    29205CD8-9808-4A82-A113-5FC1DBDEE759.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 157
yeah, 100k probably the "lifetime". Think thats the max for the extended warranty (if purchased) as well.
may be the fluid can go a bit more if it was driven in lower temperatures but I wouldnt risk it.

That certainly looks horrible. I’m a believer that the so called “life-time” ATF needs to be changed.
Just sucks they hid the damn fill point. Probably on purpose so most people go back to dealer or not do at all. Im only at 37 k miles but when I change @ 65/70 k, may put some Castrol high mileage tranny fluid in to recondition the seals.

Just sucks they hid the damn fill point. Probably on purpose so most people go back to dealer or not do at all. Im only at 37 k miles but when I change @ 65/70 k, may put some Castrol high mileage tranny fluid in to recondition the seals.
Think again. Do you really want to mix the Castrol ATF with more than half of the leftover Mazda ATF FZ which can’t be drained out?

I wouldn't mix em if I were you! o_O

As Yrwei said. Even after a full drain there's still a BUNCH of FZ left in the trans and Mazda is very clear about mixing FZ with other formulations.

I'll take my turn and also recommend not mixing tranny fluids. I wouldn't use anything but Mazda FZ. Worth it to not take chances with an expensive item like a transmission. As for color, mine was dark at ~ 43-45k miles when I did 2 drain and fills with FZ. Most of my driving is shorter hops so the trans sees a lot of shifts hence more particulate matter from clutch wear. Next service will probably be in the 85-95K mile bracket.

I'll take my turn and also recommend not mixing tranny fluids. I wouldn't use anything but Mazda FZ. Worth it to not take chances with an expensive item like a transmission. As for color, mine was dark at ~ 43-45k miles when I did 2 drain and fills with FZ. Most of my driving is shorter hops so the trans sees a lot of shifts hence more particulate matter from clutch wear. Next service will probably be in the 85-95K mile bracket.
Thanks. Was hoping to get to 65k but if it's that bad...maybe sooner to get any wear metals out. Was it brown, black or did it have some silverish tint? Did you send it for analysis?

Thanks. Was hoping to get to 65k but if it's that bad...maybe sooner to get any wear metals out. Was it brown, black or did it have some silverish tint? Did you send it for analysis?
It's been 2-1/2 years but I'd say it was slightly lighter than what's shown in the pan of the first post in this thread but still pretty dark. The color may be darker due to the type of driving I do (shorter trips so more shifts per mile). Don't remember any brown tint or silverish tint nor see any chunks in the pan. My drain pan is gray and I remember a faint purplish tint at the edge of the fluid. Maybe something related to it's original blue color. At any rate I didn't like the looks and was glad to change it out. And the benefit was that it shifted so much nicer and the whole car just felt smoother. I wasn't expecting that and thought " lifetime fluid, my @$$", this makes a difference. It's been almost 20,000 miles and it shifts just great.
No, did not send it in for analysis.
As for changing at 65k, did you buy the car new and what type of driving you do. I could see 65k if most of the miles were highway and the trans stays locked in OD for miles with very little or no shifting. Of course with that type of driving the suspension, steering, tires and brakes would last a lot longer too.

Last edited:
Back