2017 CX-5 parking brake switch not working

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
My parking brake switch got wet - sunroof left open. All was fine, but today it stopped working most of the time, and the EPB malfunction light is on (Mine is yellow and in the tach) and when brake switch works I hear brake engage.

I am assuming the switch is water damaged and this is not something else. Can anyone confirm that a wet switch could exhibit these symptoms, or should I be looking for something else?

Well looks like I found the damage...

1470B567-F79F-429C-A0B6-904E3C7D67D2.jpeg

You can try this for almost free; scrub the front and back of the board, nooks and crannies, and the connectors with a tooth brush or whatever will reach the tight spots with distilled (demineralized) water, then rinse with the same. Let it dry and re-install and see what happens. I have fixed maybe 60% of "party water", human and vermin pee events in electronic equipment this way, over the years.

You can try this for almost free; scrub the front and back of the board, nooks and crannies, and the connectors with a tooth brush or whatever will reach the tight spots with distilled (demineralized) water, then rinse with the same. Let it dry and re-install and see what happens. I have fixed maybe 60% of "party water", human and vermin pee events in electronic equipment this way, over the years.
Good advice. You can get a gallon of distilled water at the supermarket for about a buck.

Are you looking at the same circuit board pic above that I am? That board is damaged, perhaps blistered and/or burned. No amount of water, distilled or not, is going to fix that damaged component.

I don't see blistering, but do see what appears to be light and dark mineral deposits (maybe light carbon tracking), which are conductive, and can often be removed with scrubbing with a toothbrush or light scraping with an Xacto. And all I see are passive components and LED's, which often work fine after the deposits are removed.

Back