2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

There are hacks that will disable the cars speed sensitive override, so that one can enter NAV data while driving (or one's passenger which is much safer).

How could the passenger type an address without the keyboard? Voice command is the only solution if touch screen is disabled.

Address inputs can be manipulated using the controller, bypassing the touch screen completely.

I don't currently own a CX-5, but am seriously looking into it... can the passenger not enter GPS data using the controller dial/knob? (dunno)

Yup, but that is normally disabled when moving...

There are hacks that will disable the cars speed sensitive override, so that one can enter NAV data while driving (or one's passenger which is much safer).

Address inputs can be manipulated using the controller, bypassing the touch screen completely.

I installed the hack you mention otherwise, I found that entering an address using the knob is a PITA.

I installed the hack you mention otherwise, I found that entering an address using the knob is a PITA.

I'm pretty proficient on it with my iDrive (other car). I also have yet to use it (Mazda) here in Germany as I only have NA map data ATM.

Kinda, yeah...but I don't have to reach forward to get to the touch screen, and in that sense it's easier for me to manipulate while driving (if I were to do such a thing). Voice command is best from that standpoint, but I haven't gotten the input to be reliable yet (consistently getting the correct stated address).

Didn't read through the entire thread to see if it was mentioned before but -
The 19" Toyo A23's cost $270 -300 apiece to replace. (eek)

Didn't read through the entire thread to see if it was mentioned before but -
The 19" Toyo A23's cost $270 -300 apiece to replace. (eek)

I'm not really worried about it. There are cheaper tires of the same dimension on the market, Continental for example.

If it's raining and you turn your headlights on or in a constrution zone which is the law in some states the GPS goes into night mode and you can't read it. There is a light sensor on the dash, can't it figure out the sun hasn't set or give us an over ride.

If it's raining and you turn your headlights on or in a constrution zone which is the law in some states the GPS goes into night mode and you can't read it. There is a light sensor on the dash, can't it figure out the sun hasn't set or give us an over ride.

I haven't tried it myself, but maybe cancelling/adjusting the illumination dimmer will help. From page 4-14 of the owners manual:

To cancel the illumination dimmer, rotate
the knob clockwise fully. You will hear a
beep sound and the illumination dimmer
will be canceled.

Here's what I don't like:
  1. Limited choices in the stock tire size for the GT (225/55R19). I was planning on buying a set of smaller rims and associated winter tires, but I cannot find a dedicated summer tire in 225/55R19.
  2. Paint appears to be thin (at the rate I've already experienced rock chips, I'm not looking forward to how it will look in a year or two). This might be due to the use of more environmentally friendly paint than what was used 10 years ago by car manufacturers (i.e. not just Mazda).
  3. Lack of ability to operate ALL power windows for a short period of time after turning off engine.
  4. Lack of a locking glove box.
It's worth noting that the list of things I do like about the CX-5 definitely outweighs the list above. It's my first Mazda and I'm happy with the CX-5 so far; I hope it will prove to be as reliable as the Honda vehicles I've owned in the past (2004 Acura TSX, 1994 Civic Si Coupe 5 speed). I think Honda lost its way over the last 10 years or so.

... I hope it will prove to be as reliable as the Honda vehicles I've owned in the past (2004 Acura TSX, 1994 Civic Si Coupe 5 speed). I think Honda lost its way over the last 10 years or so.
It's funny that you have the same feeling like I do towards Honda. Our 17-year-old CR-V is still running fine which requires minimum attention. Honda's strong areas used to be engineering design and reliability. But not anymore IMHO.

Maybe I am just picky, but I find it really counter-intuitive that the front parking sensor button is the further point away from the driver.
In the right hand drive build, it is far left, even the passenger seat warmer control is closer to the driver.

That's an Australian Akera fyi.

Last edited:
At 2000 miles the likes way outnumber the dislikes but here are some more:

1. Why does the cruise control have an off button. I can't imaging any scenario where you'd every want to turn it completely off. (I'm talking on/off vs cancel/set)
2. The Navtek GPS system is really pretty bad. (5 year old Garmins are far superior) I wish we could add Garmin S/W to the infotainment system. Was TomTom even worse then Navtek?
3. The Infotainment screen needs more contrast/brightness. After a couple fingerprints and some glare, it becomes nearly unreadable.
4. I wish it had a real hand brake vs a switch. (I just don't trust an emergency brake I can't feel).

1. Why does the cruise control have an off button. I can't imaging any scenario where you'd every want to turn it completely off. (I'm talking on/off vs cancel/set)

I think every vehicle I have had in the last 20 years had an Off button with CC system. A safety feature most likely to avoid accidental activation.

I haven't tried it myself, but maybe cancelling/adjusting the illumination dimmer will help. From page 4-14 of the owners manual:

To cancel the illumination dimmer, rotate
the knob clockwise fully. You will hear a
beep sound and the illumination dimmer
will be canceled.

Pretty sure you can change between day mode, night mode, and auto mode (tied to headlight illumination). I can do it on my 2015, and you should be able to on your 2016. http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/settings-customize?language=en-RW

I think every vehicle I have had in the last 20 years had an Off button with CC system. A safety feature most likely to avoid accidental activation.

Some (or all?) BMW's don't have an on off setting for cruise control. The activiation switch also isn't in a position that is easy to accidentally engage it. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...#q=why does cruise control have an off switch

Here's what I don't like:
.... I think Honda lost its way over the last 10 years or so.

Exactly my feeling. Have been a loyal Honda customers for nearly 30 years. Owned a majority of Honda models throughout the years- Civic, Accord, Odyssey, Integra and CRV. Have waited for Honda to come out with a decent CRV with modern engine and gearbox. However, Honda is still selling CRV with a 10 year old I-VTEC engine (with tweaks) and 5-Speed gearbox in Australasia. Gave up at the end and moved to a CX-5. The US CRV with new EarthDream engine with CVT ended up with possibly serious vibrations issues and other defects.

Honda has truly lost its way in the last 10 years. There is little innovation which comes through in the last 10 years which matters for consumers. Honda might still be popular in the US. In Europe and Australasia, Honda does not even feature in the top 10 manufacturers anymore. Sad but true.

Maybe I am just picky, but I find it really counter-intuitive that the front parking sensor button is the further point away from the driver.
In the right hand drive build, it is far right, even the passenger seat warmer control is closer to the driver.
That's an Australian Akera fyi.
We don't have front parking sensors here in the US, not to mention knowing where the switch or button is located. Many Japanese cars designed their switch function and location originally for right-hand-drive cars. When they manufacture the left-hand-drive vehicles to export they simply just move the whole piece over left to save the cost. CX-5's 6-push-button penal is an example. Windshield wiper control level is another example (the level should go up instead of down in right-hand-traffic countries to turn on the wiper in sync with the wiper moving direction). A picture from you would be nice!

We don't have front parking sensors here in the US, not to mention knowing where the switch or button is located. Many Japanese cars designed their switch function and location originally for right-hand-drive cars. When they manufacture the left-hand-drive vehicles to export they simply just move the whole piece over left to save the cost. CX-5's 6-push-button penal is an example. Windshield wiper control level is another example (the level should go up instead of down in right-hand-traffic countries to turn on the wiper in sync with the wiper moving direction). A picture from you would be nice!

Here you go ...

Back