2016 CX9 Owners Thread

While you're all on the topic, I'm still trying to figure out what some of the active radar icons mean in the display. I haven't been able to find a solid answer in the manuals.

The active radar allows you to set a safe distance between the car in front of you. The open blocks mean the radar settings are set for specific modes and distance, while the solid white blocks indicate the system is currently active. This part i believe I understand.

What's the difference between the solid or open blocks BETWEEN the two driving lanes, and the display where the blocks go outside the driving lanes as shown in IMG_8170 and IMG_8174? See attached photos.

View attachment 215460
View attachment 215461
View attachment 215462
View attachment 215463

I believe the white solid blocks (bottom pics) indicate simply that you've activated/engaged the ACC

I believe the white solid blocks (bottom pics) indicate simply that you've activated/engaged the ACC

Yes. I indicated that I understand what the solid versus frame mean. What I don't understand is what the display is with the short pieces of bar showing outside the driving lanes versus inside the driving lanes only. The section I outlined in this image.

What's the difference between the top and bottom zones? Is it checking outside the lanes?

Image.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I indicated that I understand what the solid versus frame mean. What I don't understand is what the display is with the short pieces of bar showing outside the driving lanes versus inside the driving lanes only. The section I outlined in this image.

What's the difference between the top and bottom zones? Is it checking outside the lanes?

View attachment 215467

That is interesting have not noticed on mine. I will check better

On the Manual 4-112 kind of show that the one with the extended bars should be the vision on the HUD not on the multifunction. But kind of means the same

That is interesting have not noticed on mine. I will check better

On the Manual 4-112 kind of show that the one with the extended bars should be the vision on the HUD not on the multifunction. But kind of means the same

I notice the Bar that extend beyond the lane assist guidelines only when I am setting the ACC for a different separation level to the car in front. after I depress the button up or down, it remain for a couple of seconds and then come back to the natural view with the horizontal lines within the limites of the lane assist lines.

so does seem the overstretch does not mean something important, just inform that the car is acknowledging the new distance parameter been set by the user.

I am unsure if the experience is the same for everyone. BTW, in mine, when setting a new distance,, I see the horizontal lines overextending in both displays the multifunction and also the HUD

How many people have tried letting go of the steering wheel to test out the lane keep assist?

I have. LOL. In a controlled environment.

After about 4 seconds it will flash on the HUD to put your hands back on the steering wheel. It certainly feels like Tesla's retarded cousin bouncing between lanes, but I know it's not meant for that.

Mine acts the same. It's temporary, but you can scroll through the same "heigh" without the extended bars, that's why I am curious what the difference in the scroll mode is between the "inside" and "outside"

How many people have tried letting go of the steering wheel to test out the lane keep assist?

I have. LOL. In a controlled environment.

After about 4 seconds it will flash on the HUD to put your hands back on the steering wheel. It certainly feels like Tesla's retarded cousin bouncing between lanes, but I know it's not meant for that.

I tried and is as you describe. but also, if the curve is a bit more sharp than usual highway, it just go over

I tried and is as you describe. but also, if the curve is a bit more sharp than usual highway, it just go over

Yes Lane Keep Assist stops working on roads that are over a certain degree, and under a certain speed as I've noticed. I'm not sure how I feel about it still, but I still have mine enabled. I think it's made me a worse driver as I notice myself drifting more, when driving other vehicles.

My car is at the dealership while they troubleshoot the infotainment system again. They gave me a rental car and I ended up getting a Dodge Durango. Very nice, lots of power, anyway, it has heated steering wheel. I didn't know I wanted that on my Mazda until I tried it. It's quite nice especially since it was a bit chilly here tonight.

My car is at the dealership while they troubleshoot the infotainment system again. They gave me a rental car and I ended up getting a Dodge Durango. Very nice, lots of power, anyway, it has heated steering wheel. I didn't know I wanted that on my Mazda until I tried it. It's quite nice especially since it was a bit chilly here tonight.

I recently had infotainment issues and found that disabling all service reminders in the vehicle status monitor app cures boot loops. I was up to 3-4 continuous boot loops when I started my car and now have none. Maybe give that a try.

I have a love hate relationship with this infotainment system.

I recently had infotainment issues and found that disabling all service reminders in the vehicle status monitor app cures boot loops. I was up to 3-4 continuous boot loops when I started my car and now have none. Maybe give that a try.

I have a love hate relationship with this infotainment system.

I would like to disable service reminders as well.

And you must disable sms/email sync as well. Disabling syncs help me with the unexpected reboot. I had no reboot since months now.

does anyone know how to turn off the oil change notification on the dashboard info? it has nothing to do with the service reminder apps because i checked those in the main infotainment unit application. and i did an oil change already 3k miles ago so i know i don't need one.

I would like to disable service reminders as well.

And you must disable sms/email sync as well. Disabling syncs help me with the unexpected reboot. I had no reboot since months now.

I have tried both of these and it doesn't resolve my issue. My guess is that upon shutdown,the system is not being properly cleared of memory or not properly being shutdown which causes it to start up in a "bad" state next time. Recently I saw an issue where I could only partially see the bottom of the User Interface. I turned the car off and turn the car on again, same screen was displayed with the same part showing while the rest was black. Took a few seconds, the entire screen flashed black and the system resumed normal operation.

My car is at the dealership right now along with 2.5 pages of observations I sent Mazda to troubleshoot. Last I heard, they were testing V59 (troubleshooting the unit itself, last time they did that was with V58 and found no issues). Now they're saying that it's getting stuck in a loop. I'll probably hear back sometime next week. I requested a unit swap before I took it to the dealer.

does anyone know how to turn off the oil change notification on the dashboard info? it has nothing to do with the service reminder apps because i checked those in the main infotainment unit application. and i did an oil change already 3k miles ago so i know i don't need one.
The wrench indicator and red "Oil change due" message displayed in the right instrument cluster on CX-9 as the oil change reminder should be the same as CX-5's. You can go to Maintenance Monitor Apps in infotainment system and do the reset under Oil Change tab to get rid of the message. Better yet while you're there, change your "Fixed" oil change interval to "Flexible" to maximize your oil life up to 12 months or 7,500 miles for CX-9, and it keeps your powertrain warranty intact without unnecessary oil changes. You CX-5 needs to be in power on mode with all the dash indicators on without engine running to do the reset and change.

I have tried both of these and it doesn't resolve my issue. My guess is that upon shutdown,the system is not being properly cleared of memory or not properly being shutdown which causes it to start up in a "bad" state next time. Recently I saw an issue where I could only partially see the bottom of the User Interface. I turned the car off and turn the car on again, same screen was displayed with the same part showing while the rest was black. Took a few seconds, the entire screen flashed black and the system resumed normal operation.

My car is at the dealership right now along with 2.5 pages of observations I sent Mazda to troubleshoot. Last I heard, they were testing V59 (troubleshooting the unit itself, last time they did that was with V58 and found no issues). Now they're saying that it's getting stuck in a loop. I'll probably hear back sometime next week. I requested a unit swap before I took it to the dealer.
Like someone else said before, software is always the same for the same version, but hardware can be different. Most CX-9 owners are having older v58 infotainment OS and they don't experience problems like yours. I hope now you're convinced that your infotainment system is having hardware problem and the unit needs to get replaced. When you saw partial screen displayed, that's another evidence that you have hardware issue. Mazda should replace the whole infotainment unit for you in the first place, not by doing the software update crap! By doing that it makes a customer getting more frustrated and the real issue can never get resolved!

Like someone else said before, software is always the same for the same version, but hardware can be different. Most CX-9 owners are having older v58 infotainment OS and they don't experience problems like yours. I hope now you're convinced that your infotainment system is having hardware problem and the unit needs to get replaced. When you saw partial screen displayed, that's another evidence that you have hardware issue. Mazda should replace the whole infotainment unit for you in the first place, not by doing the software update crap! By doing that it makes a customer getting more frustrated and the real issue can never get resolved!

If you say so...then sure, you can believe my issue is hardware related. I still think it's software. Every single observation I've seen indicates so. I'm not sure how you got the partial screen is a hardware issue? For it to be a hardware issue, the screen would have to be damaged permanently, it wouldn't display anything. Instead, the screen slowly faded, just left some portion on, then upon reboot it came back online. What hardware component do you think would be failing for 4 months intermittently? If you have a damaged light bulb, it will eventually go out. If it's a leaking capacitor, it will eventually fail. If the LCD bulb is damage, it will fail. It's not going to keep coming back and working perfectly after a reboot. Hardware failures are usually predictable. Increase the temperature of the system and it will fail for example...there is no correlation to this issue that I have noticed.

On my other thread I posted the service bulletin released by Mazda. You can see there a list of issues, including Black screens prior to V55. Clearly Mazda acknowledge the problem and released a fix for it and other issues on the list which I'm sure not every single owner was experiencing. Whether that fix worked or not, I'm not sure.

As I mentioned earlier, some configuration on my unit must be causing it to leak memory or be stuck b/c it can't load a file.. something it preventing it from properly shutting down, which causes it to start up on a "bad" state and eventually crash. Kinda of the concept Garbage in/Garbage out. For example, you have a windows computer that is acting up, slowed down. You reboot it and then is fine. iPhones/Androids... install/uninstall too many apps too soon, the phone will need a reboot otherwise it'll feel a little sluggish and different. Nothing wrong with the hardware. Even if it's a hardware issue, most times, it can be fixed with a software update. You can go online and find "iPhone" issues (easiest example) for your current phone model of issues people are having, but you are not.

I get the logic, Oh software is the same, hardware must be different. I already gave plenty of examples as to why this isn't true. Source? I do this for a living. I've seen it happen. In the end, I don't care, if Mazda does replace the unit and the problem goes away, then fine by me. I just hope they do it soon b/c I'm stuck driving a Jeep Patriot - Had to return the Durango :/

just my two cents, don't want to start a flame war, but I'm an engineer and I've seen this before in military hardware for F-18 fighter jets displays, it's a hardware issue. The display is controlled by a video control board consisting of hundreds of capacitors and resistors and other components made by various manufacturers, each of those components have variations and tolerances during manufacturing, there's a military handbook that we use to predict reliability MIL-HNBK-217 and if any one of those components fail, you'll start seeing vertical or horizontal lines or displays not centered and off the screen issues. Mazda should swap out the unit. It is not a software issue. It's just easier to swap out the unit than try to trouble shoot every component on the video card, it may even just be one lousy solder joint. This is no different than regular LCD TVs that go bad, why do they fail? ie, vertical lines, no start, or shutdown after a few minutes because faulty components get hot. Certainly not software but hardware issues

Last edited:
just my two cents, don't want to start a flame war, but I'm an engineer and I've seen this before in military hardware for F-18 fighter jets displays, it's a hardware issue. The display is controlled by a video control board consisting of hundreds of capacitors and resistors and other components made by various manufacturers, each of those components have variations and tolerances during manufacturing, there's a military handbook that we use to predict reliability MIL-HNBK-217 and if any one of those components fail, you'll start seeing vertical or horizontal lines or displays not centered and off the screen issues. Mazda should swap out the unit. It is not a software issue. It's just easier to swap out the unit than try to trouble shoot every component on the video card, it may even just be one lousy solder joint. This is no different than regular LCD TVs that go bad, why do they fail? ie, vertical lines, no start, or shutdown after a few minutes because faulty components get hot. Certainly not software but hardware issues

Mazda already troubleshot the unit once. Pin by pin to make sure all signal, tolerance values were okay. And they were. They said it would be fixed with the software update. Again, refer to the service bulletin... They already addressed this issue in a previous version, I got my car with v58, this was present in v55. V59 made it worse. Yes, I agree replacing the unit might be faster than finding root cause, but this issue has been around for a while.

Now, to your point when you start seeing vertical lines on displays.. Do they go away after a reboot? (Assume components get hot, turning off and immediately back on won't drop the temperature enough to make the problem go away) Or do they remain on the screen? My unit does it most of the time, but there are days where it goes without a single hiccup. Especially after a system reset. It eventually starts failing more and more... How is that hardware?
Until I hear official work from Mazda that they found the exact root cause, I won't be convinced it's hardware. It's a toss of the coin really (with software having greater odds :) )

Back