2016.5 Mazda CX-5 NR:Dashcam that can be powered by USB

seev.1

:
cx5 2015
hi, I wish the CX-5 had a 12v outlet near the AC controls so that one cans run a wire (without being to messy) to a dashcam. Since we don't have it and the center console 12 v outlet is far and is always ON, was looking for recommendation on dashcam that folks are using that can be powered by the two USBs. I got one from Costco but that does not record if just powered by the USB (needs higher amperage).

So if anyone using a dashcam that power s from USB in CX-5, please post link.

thanks..

hi, I wish the CX-5 had a 12v outlet near the AC controls so that one cans run a wire (without being to messy) to a dashcam. Since we don't have it and the center console 12 v outlet is far and is always ON, was looking for recommendation on dashcam that folks are using that can be powered by the two USBs. I got one from Costco but that does not record if just powered by the USB (needs higher amperage).

So if anyone using a dashcam that power s from USB in CX-5, please post link.

thanks..

Do you have a mirror with Homelink or compass?

These work great for switched power to my USB dashcams.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...g-A-Dash-Cam&p=6424305&viewfull=1#post6424305

invisicord_5vusb.jpg

http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58

thanks Yes. i have the homelink on the mirror.
1. did you get the cord with the fuse?
2. how was difficult was this as DIY? i am reading on the other forum abt the tabs breaking when removing the mirror cover ..did you encounter that issue?

I bought the Micro and fused. Power comes off the power connector going to the mirror. No need to remove the mirror cover. Just unplug the power connector from back of mirror and push the pins in the appropriate spots and then plug connector back in mirror. Wires will be held in snuggly.

Pictures linked in post #1 here

I bought the Micro and fused. Power comes off the power connector going to the mirror. No need to remove the mirror cover. Just unplug the power connector from back of mirror and push the pins in the appropriate spots and then plug connector back in mirror. Wires will be held in snuggly.

thanks again. you bought the standard connector type cable (not micro correct?)

I noticed that sometimes when I put into Reverse, the dashcam would shutdown - I recall that auto dimming mirror is disabled when reversing (for better visibility) and I wonder if the power was cut down at fuse box and dashcam treat it like a engine shutdown...

I noticed that sometimes when I put into Reverse, the dashcam would shutdown - I recall that auto dimming mirror is disabled when reversing (for better visibility) and I wonder if the power was cut down at fuse box and dashcam treat it like a engine shutdown...

Can anyone else confirm? I don't see the auto dimming light on my Homelink turn off and I can still operate the garage opener while in reverse, so it has power.
Also if it really does cut off, most Dashcam you can configure the delay before it shuts off when it no longer detects external power.

Mine is definitely on switched power and does not turn off in reverse. It has a small internal Li-ion battery that cannot power it much past 15 seconds. I back into my garage and parking spots on a daily basis. Maybe operational behavior is different on versions worldwide?

There is a lead with full time power. I think it was the blue/black one. Solid blue and solid black offer up switched power.

Image from DBLXX post.

attachment.php

Can anyone else confirm? I don't see the auto dimming light on my Homelink turn off and I can still operate the garage opener while in reverse, so it has power.
Also if it really does cut off, most Dashcam you can configure the delay before it shuts off when it no longer detects external power.
self correcting that...
auto dimming light remains on when I observed dashcam shutting down (an in several cases screen turning off but recording light flashing), when I leave the gear in either P or R for like more than 30 seconds. might just be my dash cam (mini 0805)...

I'll check with multimeter when I get a chance.

thanks Kedis82ze8 and DBLXX .

got my dashcam hooked using invisicord from the post and so far working perfectly.

So much easier and quicker with Invisicord. For those with warranty concerns ..... easy to remove as well.

I'd like to also thank everyone for the info in this thread...just mounted my radar detector with the invisicord and it looks great.

Was my fault...

This is for New Zealand spec. Our auto dimming mirror plug had 3 wires:
Black/Blue, Solid Black and Black/Green

I initially connected to B/B+ and Black-, but there might be an issue with the insertion and I measured ~0 V. Then I connected like this:
B/B +
Black
B/G -

Which measured +12V when engine is switched on - and I didn't check when the gear is in reverse. Not a surprise when I measured the voltage dropped to ~0 in reverse last weekend. This is probably how auto dimming mirror is controlled (in reverse)

I've since changed back the connection, and this measured +12V whether the gear in reverse or not.
B/B +
Black -
B/G

Looking back this is essentially what the original post said (negative is black) - albeit it mistook the Black/Blue wire as "Solid Blue", as the picture shows that were actually two "Black/Blue" wires, and the picture didn't match the diagram...

Hi, I'm trying to hook up a dash cam too. Am I correct in assuming you connect the invisicord to the top ports that correlate with the correct wire in the port below?

I don't believe those are connected to the wires. Pinch the white tabs on the side and pull the clip down to release the pressure on the wires, then you can push the pins in and share the same ports.

Hoping someone can help me identify which of these plugs my invisicord cables are supposed to be plugged into. The black one in the picture posted to this thread does not look exactly like either of the two I find available in my 2014 GT w/Tech Pkg.

The green plugs into a socket labeled lidar or laser or something; seems like the SmartCity braking system. Is it the white plug then? it only has four slots across, rather than five like in the pictures and diagram here. Would appreciate some guidance. Trying to get a dashcam plugged in using the Invisicord...

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

attachment.php

Back