2014 Mazda6 Project

If you are handy with tools, it's a pretty easy install. Let me know if you want instructions, I can walk you through. I can PM you a step by step. Don't pay anyone to do such an easy job. Majority of the labor is removing and installing the plastic covers.

Please PM me the step by step. Thank you Monkee.

Hi Monkee any more updates on your MODS

Funny you asked. It's been since September '13 since my last mod(exhaust) and after a year of enjoying the stock height, the lowering bug finally bit me! It all started last month when I tried to roll my own fender using an Eastwood fender finisher...now I know why they call it a fender finisher:( After putting a welt in the driver rear fender, I decided to get my fender professionally rolled. I went to my local detail place and called a few painless dent removers and they all said I had to live with the dent:( I didn't give up...a heat gun and 2 cans of condensed air, you can barely even find the once 3 inch crease on the fender...it worked! After hours of searching the interwebs...I came across Tony. His name was mention by so many people in the car community that I called. Tony is Fender Rolled by Tony in Granada Hills, CA. I made an appointment last Thursday and in 1 hour, Tony advised on a fender shave because I DID NOT want to pull my fender or stretch it out. A professional hub mounted roller uses pressure ti roll the fender and it pushes it out a bit. Tony has been doing this for years and has done thousands(no joke) of cars. I almost fainted when he to a cutting wheel to my fender but he was precise and he knew exactly where to cut, how much to leave, and what to cut out. Pm me if you want his number. Thank you, Tony, you are the man!
image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-6.jpg

Tony took 30 minutes on each side, 1 clean cut, no measurements or marking, sanded to a fine OEM finish and feel, and symmetrical on both sides...impressive!
I ordered H&R springs on Friday from Grand Prix Tires in Monterey Park and made an appointment for Monday for install and alignment.
image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

Right off the rack!
image-3.jpg

After 30 minutes of hard driving before heading into the alignment rack.
image-9.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-12.jpg

I love the H&R drop of 1.2 front and 1.3 rear with the 245/40/20 tires. It's a perfect gap fill and a good fit all around. If i didn't shave the fender, it would have never fit. The ride feels the same with a little stiffness. I often read "bouncy" but I think the word should be firm. Bouncy would be like my old car which I cut the springs a coil and a half, that car bounced on straight roads, so this is NOT bouncy...just firm. My only regret is that I should have done it sooner.
Thanks to Tony for the fender shave and Chris and the boys at Grand Prix Tires for hooking up every car I've owned with wheels and tires. Grand Prix is the only full service mechanic shop I trust for the past 16 years.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I remember a little over a year ago when I first bought my 6 and went crazy for 2 weeks, I felt that I was the first...but man, everyone is killing it with the mods. Still haven't seen another fixed up 6 in Los Angeles...not even with wheels. I've seen a few more on the road in the past few months. I'll try to keep you all posted.

Good to finally hear your updates! welcome back! here in Indonesia lowering spring is not avail yet! envy u guys! (help) we have to spend $$$ on coilover. I guess we have to wait a little bit longer. The drop looks good. awesome !! I have 245/35/20 & 275/30/20 tires.. so do i need to roll fender?

Last edited:
Good to finally hear your updates! welcome back! here in Indonesia lowering spring is not avail yet! envy u guys! (help) we have to spend $$$ on coilover. I guess we have to wait a little bit longer. The drop looks good. awesome !! I have 245/35/20 & 275/30/20 tires.. so do i need to roll fender?

My wheel guy suggested 245/35/20 originally, 245/30/20 would be ideal...I wanted a bit more rubber because I bent a wheel in December due to some bad roads in L.A. The taller sidewall meant closer to the fender in the rear. The front has plenty if room. I would have preferred coil overs but with such a subtle drop, I won't be blowing up my stock shocks.

Funny you asked. It's been since September '13 since my last mod(exhaust) and after a year of enjoying the stock height, the lowering bug finally bit me! It all started last month when I tried to roll my own fender using an Eastwood fender finisher...now I know why they call it a fender finisher:( After putting a welt in the driver rear fender, I decided to get my fender professionally rolled. I went to my local detail place and called a few painless dent removers and they all said I had to live with the dent:( I didn't give up...a heat gun and 2 cans of condensed air, you can barely even find the once 3 inch crease on the fender...it worked! After hours of searching the interwebs...I came across Tony. His name was mention by so many people in the car community that I called. Tony is Fender Rolled by Tony in Granada Hills, CA. I made an appointment last Thursday and in 1 hour, Tony advised on a fender shave because I DID NOT want to pull my fender or stretch it out. A professional hub mounted roller uses pressure ti roll the fender and it pushes it out a bit. Tony has been doing this for years and has done thousands(no joke) of cars. I almost fainted when he to a cutting wheel to my fender but he was precise and he knew exactly where to cut, how much to leave, and what to cut out. Pm me if you want his number. Thank you, Tony, you are the man!
image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-6.jpg

Tony took 30 minutes on each side, 1 clean cut, no measurements or marking, sanded to a fine OEM finish and feel, and symmetrical on both sides...impressive!
I ordered H&R springs on Friday from Grand Prix Tires in Monterey Park and made an appointment for Monday for install and alignment.
image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

Right off the rack!
image-3.jpg

After 30 minutes of hard driving before heading into the alignment rack.
image-9.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-12.jpg

I love the H&R drop of 1.2 front and 1.3 rear with the 245/40/20 tires. It's a perfect gap fill and a good fit all around. If i didn't shave the fender, it would have never fit. The ride feels the same with a little stiffness. I often read "bouncy" but I think the word should be firm. Bouncy would be like my old car which I cut the springs a coil and a half, that car bounced on straight roads, so this is NOT bouncy...just firm. My only regret is that I should have done it sooner.
Thanks to Tony for the fender shave and Chris and the boys at Grand Prix Tires for hooking up every car I've owned with wheels and tires. Grand Prix is the only full service mechanic shop I trust for the past 16 years.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I remember a little over a year ago when I first bought my 6 and went crazy for 2 weeks, I felt that I was the first...but man, everyone is killing it with the mods. Still haven't seen another fixed up 6 in Los Angeles...not even with wheels. I've seen a few more on the road in the past few months. I'll try to keep you all posted.

Looks good --- well done sir!

I have a door ding that I tried to get out with a blow dryer, guess I need a heat gun

Rear Emblem Holes

Fantastic car! I like the clean look of Monkees car. As I removed the emblems, I think it is worth mentioning that not all the 2015 rear emblems are adhesive only. I am debating painting the rear emblem black and replacing, or having the body shop weld the holes and paint.
IMG_20140630_115622_0.jpg

@Monkee, you mentioned that too heavy of a weight will cause rubbing, how you define heavy? Does bringing 2 adults in the backseat consider heavy? Because I'm considering 245/40/20 too, 35 series is just too thin (Before you lowered your car)

Last edited:
I am interested in your chrome fog light inserts...are you offering?

I did my original out of vinyl chrome in April. I guess it caught on because it got copied by some place in China and used my car as the photo to sell this stuff. It would have cost me a tone to get it made in the US and they beat me by about 2 weeks. Whatever, I'm just glad that the trend caught on. Look back at my post in April 2013 and see how it started, lol.

Love the look and build on this car. I am in the market for a new car and this seems like the perfect template. Any new updates?

Love the look and build on this car. I am in the market for a new car and this seems like the perfect template. Any new updates?

Yup, double layer of dynamat on all 4 doors. Inner sheet metal and outer sheet metal, all cabin floors, under back seats, trunk lid, 2 layers under spare, and KICKER Hideaway 8" powered sub. It's what this car should have been sold as.

Hey everyone, Im new here and I just wanted to share my experience with my new K&N SRI (69-6032TS) So overall I only noticed the sound was a lot louder and to hear it yourself check the link below that recorded with a HD microphone. K&N does claim and guarantee an increase of 5.7 HP @ 4844 RPM. Check the dyno charts below, but my concern is I may be getting lower fuel economy with this mod, I have the 2015 Mazda 6 GT with tech package. I have driven around with it for over 300 miles and it seems my average mpg is 29 compared to 35mpg with the stock. I was driving normally and only on the highway. Im not sure why it would decrease it by that much which was a huge disappointment, but I will be doing more testing with it. Also, I did paint the tube white just to match it with the engine cover. If you have any tips or info on why my mpg decreased Id really appreciate it!

http://imgur.com/4TU9xbD <---Intake image

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgr8ebmfsppt9vz/2015%20Mazda%206%20K%26N%20Intake%20Sound.mp3?dl=0 <----Intake Sound Recording

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-6032_dyno.pdf <---Dyno Chart

Back