2014 Mazda5: Parking brake sticking (won't release)

:
2014 Mazda5 GT - 6 MT - White
I would appreciate some help / collective knowledge with my parking brake.

The car: 2014 Mazda5. One year ago, the two OEM rear calipers were replaced because one side was leaking. The parking brake worked OK since then, but not at 100%. It was a bit lose on one tire (driver's side). It did not "grab" really well. In any case, it was working.

The problem: After using the parking brake for a couple of days (the car doesn't get a lot of use), it gets stuck, and won't easily release. After driving the car for 1 or 2 blocks, it would release, and then the car can be used normally.

So it was a little bit "grabby" in the beginning. It got worse over time, and now it gets stuck after using the parking brake for a short while. The worst happened a couple of days ago, I drove for about 10 blocks and it would not release, the calipers started to overheat, I had to pull over and wait a bit. Then, it released as before, and the car was back to normal.

The help I need: I cannot figure out how to clean and lubricate the mechanism. The calipers look clean from the outside, the spring look fine as far as I can tell, the cable has no cuts or visible rust, etc.

I guess I could replace the calipers again (but I don't want to spend a lot of money, changing calipers every year is not something I am looking forward to). I think the fix could be some lubrication. I just don't know where to start.

Anyone has any tips, or have experienced the same problem?

I had a car back in the day that would not release the parking brake. Turned out the cables were seizing inside the cable housing. You might either need to figure out how to lubricate the cable, or replace them altogether.

The car: 2014 Mazda5. One year ago, the two OEM rear calipers were replaced because one side was leaking. The parking brake worked OK since then, but not at 100%. It was a bit lose on one tire (driver's side). It did not "grab" really well. In any case, it was working.

The problem: After using the parking brake for a couple of days (the car doesn't get a lot of use), it gets stuck, and won't easily release. After driving the car for 1 or 2 blocks, it would release, and then the car can be used normally.

So it was a little bit "grabby" in the beginning. It got worse over time, and now it gets stuck after using the parking brake for a short while. The worst happened a couple of days ago, I drove for about 10 blocks and it would not release, the calipers started to overheat, I had to pull over and wait a bit. Then, it released as before, and the car was back to normal.

The help I need: I cannot figure out how to clean and lubricate the mechanism. The calipers look clean from the outside, the spring look fine as far as I can tell, the cable has no cuts or visible rust, etc.

I guess I could replace the calipers again (but I don't want to spend a lot of money, changing calipers every year is not something I am looking forward to). I think the fix could be some lubrication. I just don't know where to start.

Why replace both if one is leaking?? I'm surprise to hear piston O-ring failure (leak) on a '14 car. Helps to watch a quick YT video to understand how "floating" caliper disc brakes work. Calipers are simple devices and pretty easy to rebuild, but it can be tough to fit in new seals due to tight tolerances IF you don't clean/prep properly.

Parking brake is a mechanical operation. When you pull on the hand brakes, it pushed the piston out, which indirectly pulls the floating caliper in (via pins/boots). When you release the cable, it sounds like it is not releasing/floating. If you want to adjust L/R tension, it is underneath the center console (I think this is the case for all cars with hand brakes in the middle console).

It sounds like your caliper slider pins are dry, resulting in the pins sticking to the boots. This does not allow the floating caliper to release properly and causes premature brake pad/rotor wear on one side. The boots are service items and should be replaced. I also recommend just getting new pins vs sanding/polish/cleaning the old ones back to new (not worth the time or keep/clean the old pair to reuse when doing the front brakes). It is very important that you use a proper grease for the boots. Using the wrong grease can result in the boot swelling and the pins themselves get stuck. I recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:

Did you fix yours yet? I just posted about an aftermarket cable:

Back