2013 CX-9 Oil and oil filter change DIY question

Neuron

:
2013 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD w/tech. package
Hello!
I'd like to try to change oil and oil filter myself. Can you recommend filter (other than Mazda's filter) that I should better to go with and what its number is. I would prefer to get the one that I could easy buy in automotive parts store around the corner. Also, I'd like to know if filter in 2013 model is situated in the same place as in other years models?

Thanks you in advance for your responses!

My choice is the Motorcraft FL-400S. The only thing I do not like about it is the small flutes on the end so you cannot use a more conventional wrench (with larger flats). I use a band type filter wrench for it.

My choice is the Motorcraft FL-400S ....

Thank you cpb406!

I've been told that any of these below filters (except maybe K&N as I do not need it based on my driving style and type of vehicle utilization) should be OK.

Motorcraft FL400S
Mobil1 M1-209
K&N PS-2009
Bosch D3422
Purolator PL20195
Fram PH3600

My choice is the Motorcraft FL-400S. The only thing I do not like about it is the small flutes on the end so you cannot use a more conventional wrench (with larger flats). I use a band type filter wrench for it.

Switched to the Motorcraft filter just last change after using Mazda OEM for first 6 changes. I bought a 6-pack of the OEM filters from Amazon for about $6 each including shipping and now they are closer to $10. The Motorcrafts are less than $4 at Walmart. The Mazda OEM (at least the ones I had) and the Motorcrafts have the same small flutes so I already had a filter wrench that fits it. I use the metal cap type that fits on a socket wrench.

I'd stay away from Fram. Nothing but garbage cardboard inside that pretty orange can and no anti-drain back valve at all.

Can't go wrong with a Napa Gold. Quality filter media and metal anti-drain back valve. I've used them exclusively in all my vehicles for the past 15 years.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1077557

^ Some good info in there, at least until the end of page one when it turns into an e-p***s measuring contest amongst the engineers like every BITOG thread does.

Last edited:
...Can't go wrong with a Napa Gold. Quality filter media and metal anti-drain back valve....

eskimo0101,
Thank you for your thoughts and opinion on Napa Gold. Can you please let me know what is its number suitable for CX-9?
Thanks again!

.... the Motorcrafts have the same small flutes so I already had a filter wrench that fits it. I use the metal cap type that fits on a socket wrench.

What wrench do you have that works? I found one at Auto Zone but was not happy with the fitment. I also found a Lisle brand unit but it too did not fit well. Thanks!

eskimo0101,
Thank you for your thoughts and opinion on Napa Gold. Can you please let me know what is its number suitable for CX-9?
Thanks again!

I believe it's Wix 51516 or NAPA 1516 (WIX makes the filters for NAPA so get which ever one is available/cheaper in your area). I'd double check with the guy at the counter though to be 100% sure.

What wrench do you have that works? I found one at Auto Zone but was not happy with the fitment. I also found a Lisle brand unit but it too did not fit well. Thanks!

What's a wrench? Grab a hold of it with some man hands and spin it off. :)

Unless of course your last oil change was done by a quick lube place and the minimum wage wrench monkey spun it on there with the torque of Thor. Filters are supposed to be just hand tight. And by hand tight I don't mean pop a vein in your neck tight. Just spin it on and give it a turn with one hand. 22 years changing oil on cars and boats and that's all I've ever done to tighten a filter. They have that nice big rubber seal there for a reason and that reason isn't to crush the ever loving crap out of it so it doesn't seal right.

I've got one of these for when I buy a vehicle and find out some roid rager put the last filter on:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:

The one I have is one I bought many moons ago from either advance auto or autozone. I am fine with the fit, so either yours is a size off, or their is a quality control issue with the filter maybe? Keep in mind that for these to work best it needs to be completely square. You can't attack it from an angle. I've never had a problem with this one and have used it for probably 15-20 changes between the CX-9, Mazda 6 and the two Fords we've had in the past that were the same filter size.

I use the motorcraft FL-400S, mainly because it is always in stock.

I've used the Mobil 1 filter you listed one time, only because it was free with purchase of oil at the time.

Back