2013 CX-5 6MT Ignition Coil

riffraff

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 GX MT
So today my 2013 CX-5 had it's first bad day. It has 175 km (110 miles) and has never had even a bad burp in 10 plus years. It still got me home though. I turned a corner, it gave a little hiccup, and then my TPSM light, traction control light, check engine light all came on and it lost power. It sounded ok, and I assumed it was low on power because it thought it had a traction control issue. Since I was only a mile and a half from home we limped back.

My neighbour was in the yard, and he pretty quickly diagnosed the number 2 coil as the problem. Since it's Sunday I couldn't get an OEM replacement, which bothers me, but I have to work tomorrow and couldn't wait. Even aftermarket was $150 (I'm in Canada). Regardless, the car runs perfectly again.

The OEM plugs have about 20 thousand miles on them and the car has had no work done since an oil change in September.

This seems to be a really rare occurrence in these cars, but wondering if I should consider replacing them all preventatively, or maybe switching this one out to an OEM and keeping it as a spare. Or is there something else that should be looked at that may have caused the problem. The car owes me nothing. It's dealer maintained, because my dealership has always been good to me, and my mechanic got fired in the divorce, lol, but will be a couple more months before I'm back there for an oil change.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back