2008 Mazda3 at the end of the line

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
I mainly post in the CX-5 Forum but I've got a 2008 Mazda3. The rear end has pretty much collaped, thanks rust!. Gotta get a new vehicle. 340K kms on the odometer. I can't complain. It's been a bit of a beast. Sad to see her go.

Many years ago, a guy at work was selling his Toyota Corona, so I told him my mother was interested. When she took it to the DMV inspection site, they told her that the underbody rust was making the car unsafe. The owner refunded the $500. It was a shame because the powertrain was in excellent condition. This was in Connecticut where roads are salted after snowstorms.

The powertrain on this, other than some leaks, has been rock solid. Still lots of power. I've always hated how some imports skimp on metal thickness and their cars end up like this. This car would still be going if it didn't rot out like a 1977 Monte Carlo in the rust belt...

It's time to say goodbye. I had a 73 Mazda RX3 that was bought in 1986. By the time it was 30 years old, the outside and inside were horribly gone. The car was driveable but the rotary engine polluted the atmosphere badly. Still, it was hard for me to let it go.

The other extreme was my 1989 MX6 GT Turbo. The body and interior were excellent, even at 23 years of age. Oil leaks and engine issues finally did it in. I was also attached to that car.

Thats a sad yet great story - 300+ k is a stellar experience - I have a 2010
I mainly post in the CX-5 Forum but I've got a 2008 Mazda3. The rear end has pretty much collaped, thanks rust!. Gotta get a new vehicle. 340K kms on the odometer. I can't complain. It's been a bit of a beast. Sad to see her go.
Wow - Sad but great ! Long life - suppose welding in new panels etc was to much fabrication - think you got yer $$$ worth -
I have a 2010 3-GT-2.5 and the upgraded mzr 2.5 with powder coated connecting rods , forged crank ( from 2.3 disi turbo ) graphie coated piston skirts and 4340 molly piston sleeves ( still used in 24 cx-5 ) as well stainless exhaust mani make it the 3 that should easily go 400-500k - but ....my guess is the body had some additional upgrades - but - been garaged 15 yrs - so now shes on the outside - my hope is i dont move to a rust prone city -
Great story - What did you buy? another 3 or ....did you go CX5 ? ?
Thanks for the contribution - i love the older maxda 3s and had your exact 2008 in a GT HB - and in 2010 Mazda had 0% apr 60 mos on ALL 3s - so i upgraded to a 2010-
heres the mzr engine in the 2010-11 and the etorations (2.3) which you and i had that preceeded it
( must copy paste - its engine builders - not a commercial site selling anything - just info on engines )

Link for our 08 2.3

Those first and second generation 3's had horrible rust issues.
Here in snowy Ottawa (Canada) there are none left on the road that I can see. They have all rotted out. They started rusting before they left the showrooms. Things are marginally better now, I think.

Here in snowy Ottawa (Canada) there are none left on the road that I can see. They have all rotted out. They started rusting before they left the showrooms. Things are marginally better now, I think.
I have not had to deal with road salt or inclimate winters - so I suppose a 15 yf head start - The Mazda 3 was always in the economy car class - its has great handling and was fun to drive- all over on in the west and SW - Body longevity ? suppose its the weak spot if not cleaned amd garaged with some regularity -

Fellow ottawatonian!

Interesting to read about these 'rust issues'.

I had a 2004, 250k on it over 14 years, very minimal rust. It is not a Mazda issue, but a salt/care issue. I would definitely hate to deal with that on a regular basis, but it seems you got the max life out of it!

Interesting to read about these 'rust issues'.

I had a 2004, 250k on it over 14 years, very minimal rust. It is not a Mazda issue, but a salt/care issue. I would definitely hate to deal with that on a regular basis, but it seems you got the max life out of it!
Sorry to disagree, but it IS a Mazda issue. There are many other makes and models that are exposed to the same environmental conditions, that do not deteriorate like Mazda's do.
As for care. Well if you've never lived in a snow belt like I do, where road salt is used from November to March, then you have no idea what it's like to deal with. There may not be a dry day for weeks at a time. You could wash your car everyday, and once you drive a few hundred feet, it gets soaked in salty slush again.
The problem is also not the exterior of the car. Going through a car wash might make it look clean on the outside, but underneath the car, as well as inside the fender wells and all the other nook and crannies, it is still soaked in salt water. They rust from the inside out, not from the outside in. Trust me, no amount of cleaning will get it all out.
The sheet metal on these earlier Mazda's is of poor quality, and Mazda did not make any effort to provide protection. No undercoating etc.
Mazda also has a reputation for poor, thin paint. I can personally verify that, as my roof had to be repainted due to small rust bubbles....after only three years and less than 20K miles of ownership.
I've read that Mazda's supposedly improved after 2010, but I'm not convinced.

I will take your word for it on the salt issues.

The paint on the newer models is not much better. PPF in the high risk areas is a must.

Back