Beauty Pics and Thoughts on Rental Mazda3/Axela

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
Hey all! So I've been out of the country for a couple months, away from my beloved '21 Cx-5 GT Alluka, but it's given me the opportunity to rent a few different cars: a low trim Mitsubishi Mirage, and two 2nd gen Mazda Axelas! (same as mazda3 but Japan imports) I thought it would be interesting to share my experience with the two Axela/3s so here we go! BTW if anyone was missing my monthly posts in Cx-5 Beauty Shots (unlikely lol), that's why - don't worry, you'll know when I'm back with my Cx-5 cause I take lots of pics and love this forum :D

I wanted to post some beauty shots of the axela as well as share my thoughts, just for fun! Here are the pics first:

IMG_9347.jpeg
IMG_8929.jpeg
IMG_8653.jpeg
IMG_8176.jpeg
IMG_8178.jpeg
IMG_8932.jpeg

So before I share my thoughts I think it makes sense to quickly share my prior experience with sedans/mazdas:

I have driven many mazda SUVs: both Cx-5 generations, Cx-30, Cx-3, Cx-50, Cx-9, and Cx-90

I have driven maximum a handful of sedans ever, the current gen corolla being the only one I've actually spent time with (before these axelas)

The white Axela pictured was the 1.5l CVT that I'm unsure the US ever even got as an option, and the silver one was a 2010 2.0l 5 speed automatic. They both put the power down well for what they have, but after 2 months of CVTs (I rented the Mirage and 1.5l Axela before the 2.0l) I appreciated the real gears even more - the manual shift option in the CVT Axela just felt fake - cause it was - and while the 5sp auto was responsive and nice for the mountain roads comparatively, my '21 Cx-5 manual shifting is definitely quicker and smoother!

So in NZ, where I am currently, there's lots of windy roads, and I've gotta say the Axela/3 handles well! I know that's mazda's thing, but I wasn't sure what a ford-era mazda would feel like. The steering isn't impeccable, but definitely engaging enough to have fun! (unlike the Mirage lol)

Wind noise, ride comfort, etc. were all better than I expected for what was Mazda's more budget oriented days, as I as a 6'2 individual was comfy and could hear music easily! In terms of looks, they've really grown on me over the 13 combined days with both of these - I prefer the silver though, especially since it isn't rocking hub caps. The silver Axela also had I-Stop which I wasn't excited about, but it didn't ever activate which was fine with me!

The last thing I'd like to mention is how they both say "Hello" and "Goodbye" on the screen as you start the car or turn it off, and especially how the silver one said "Zoom-Zoom" when you get in before you turn it on! Fun little features.

Overall they were great cars, and lived up to my love for Mazda's! Now I'm curious what the mazda2, newer mazda3's, and mazda6 feel like to drive.. Some day hopefully! (Edit: and the Mazda5!!! that's a bucket list car to experience for me, seems so quirky and awesome)

If you read this far and have any thoughts feel free to respond! I just thought it would be fun to share my experience with these two rental vehicles and compare/contrast the drivetrains!

Last edited:
Back