2007-09 Mazda3 and Mazda5s Recalled to Fix Power Steering Issue

Power Steering Recall....Update Anyone?

I received a notice about the power steering recall a couple of months ago.
So far, nothing else. The dealer in Las Cruces, New Mexico said the necessary
parts probably would not be available before December.

Well, December is rapidly approaching. Has anyone been able to get their
power steering repaired yet?

Has anyone heard anything more from Mazda?

Be prepared to wait....

I got my letter about two weeks ago. When I called my dealership, the told me the earliest they could fix my 5 would be February 22!
(whistle)

Got my letter about two weeks ago. There's a pretty long wait in my area (North Carolina....)

Earliest I can get mine done? February 22. Wowza...(boom07)

I also got my 2nd letter about two weeks ago. But I was able to get the fix done this past Monday, along with the 30k mile service (and a couple of warranty issues).

got my 2nd letter yesterday, woooohooo, still haven't had any issues with our PS unit.

got my 2nd letter yesterday, but haven't called for an appt yet. got my appt for 1/5/11, wife didn't want to get it done before xmas, as we haven't had any troubles yet from the PS unit. Guy said it takes about 2 hrs do actually do the work, but no telling how long the lounge wait will be, luckily it will be the wife sitting there and not me.

Last edited:
Got my second letter late last week - called the dealer and have an appointment next week. My impression was that it was too hard to book. I know this dealer has sold a ton of Mz3's and Mz5's so I was afraid it was going to be a big deal to get an appointment - on the other hand, they have a very large shop. I'll try to report back next week how it goes.

glad people are starting to get it fixed.

i called the dealer and it is set to go in friday the 10th.

i let you all know how it goes.

So my car had the steering recall on Monday - they rented me a car on Mazda's tab. The guys at the rental place said I was the eighth customer that day with a Mazda 3 or 5 that they rented to.

Car is running fine - steering seems the same.

I bought my 5 used and I havent recieved a letter ...Should I call the dealership or what do you do if you are a second owner?

I bought my 5 used and I havent recieved a letter ...Should I call the dealership or what do you do if you are a second owner?

Possibly the first owner never updated Mazda with your information.

You can register on http://www.mymazda.com with your VIN number

Here is the message I get in the site when I log-in:

There is a Recall or Special Service Program concerning:

2007-2009 Mazda3 & Mazda 5 Power Steering Voluntary Safety Recall

For any questions regarding a Mazda Recall or Special Service Program campaign, please email or call Mazda Customer Assistance Center:
1-800-222-5500
Monday-Friday, 6:00am 4:45pm Pacific Standard Time

If You Bought Your Mazda Used...

I have a friend who just bought a Mazda used and he said that right on the Mazda website you can register your vehicle by inputting your VIN. ALSO - he said that in the manual there is some kind of postcard to register your vehicle too.

Good luck!

Just registered...it took 6 different times on like 4 days for it to go through.....Well its done...Thanks for the link

Power Steering TSB

Well I finally got my second letter right before xmas. So I called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for yesterday. I had to drop it off on Tuesday night and my dealer was kind enough to provide me with a loaner free of charge. They let me drive a 2007 MS3! This was my first time driving a MS3 and boy did I have a blast! What fun we could have with this power train in our 5's! It was great driving with a "proper" gearbox. I really enjoyed this car. I picked up my car late Wednesday afternoon and all was good, they even washed her up! So for me this TSB was not a big deal at all. I hope the rest of you have similar experiences.

Back