2002.5 changes to the Protege5

gene in cincinnati

Contributor
Here are some pictures of the changes on our cars.

New wheel compared to the old wheel:
newwheel.jpg

oldwheel.jpg

New cupholders:
newcupholders.jpg

New tweeters (kind of dark - sorry):
newtweeters.jpg

New side blinker:
newblinker.jpg

the only ADDITION I care for are the new wheels....I don't really care about the tweeters...or the sidemarkers.....and I REALLY like the cup holders WITH the door that closes over them.

just MY two cents.

hmmm... new wheels nice, but I have to agree with SirNuke, don't care to much for the other things and I like the cupholders with the door also. Makes it look a little cleaner on the inside! :)

OH YEAH....unless I am mistaken....I heard that the new wheels only come powdercoated silver...not polished...

anyone know if this is true?

I think the sidemarkers would be of note to a lot of people who have been looking for that for their cars...me personally I don't care that much about if the markers are clear or amber...just as long as they work.

How many speakers does the P5 come with? I was thinking of putting in tweeters in the same spot on my car, but I'm not sure if there might be a better location than that.

And I like the cupholder with the lid on it...keeps a much cleaner look to the car...and sometimes I throw change in there too. :)

It's funny. I bought my P5 about 2weeks ago and mine had the new cup holders. However I don't have any of the other new stuff (wheels, tweeters, side markers).

I like the old wheels better anyway though.

the side marker and the bumper light looks kinda silly together. should've had the mirrors that blink.

the shift nob is ugly..and the trim around the shifter doesnt match the trim around the radio..

Im glad I bought my car before the changes. I like the cupholders the way they are, I dont like the new rims at all, dont really have an opinion on sidemarkers, and I dont have a 5spd so I dont care about the shift knob... I hear theres some kind of new sport automatic where you can select your own gears, but if I wanted to select my own gears, Id have saved money and bought a 5spd. Im lazy and Ive already got P N D 2 1 so I dont care... :D

i don't really care for the new wheels...and the cupholders are fine the way they are, except for the fact that they don't hold drinks very well...the only thing that i would possibly want are the sidemarkers...other then that i'm happy...

the old shift knob looks better than that Toyota like one
plus the old wheels look better too

although the side blinker is pretty useful... cause its pretty dangerous driving in LA if u don't have them.... cause I've seen a accident where these two cars changed into the same lane at the same time, the couldn't see each other I guess..... both rebounded and hit the side of the freeway at like 75mph.... lots of sparks...

yea it would be nice if we could have blinking mirrors like the Benz

Changes to new MP5.

I checked out the new P5 at the local dealer, and the rims look pretty cool. I was not able to check if they come polish either, I guess they may not but it needs to checked out. However, the new cup holder area was made on a semi satin polish aluminum and looks out of place with the rest of the silver inside the P5. As far the shift knob, maybe on the pic that was sent maybe they have 2 types. The P5 I saw had a leather knob that almost had a Momo look. The side markers really did not attracted me at all, for some reason it makes the fender looks shorter. I'm happy with the first P5 looks anyway.

same here...the side markers don't do anything for me...in fact, if I could...I would shave everything of the outside....

the cup holders, both new and old suck...but at least you can cover the old ones up with their little door....makes the console a lot cleaner.

the wheels....well I like the new ones too..but only if they came polished....which I don't know if they do or not.

as far as the shift knob...well I don't care one way or another...got a custom one. :{D

I Like the wheels a lot...I think the sort of squared off spokes work better with the lines of the car. Polished would be nice.

Shift knob would be better without the gear pattern written on top...does anyone really NEED those numbers on the knob?

Side marker lights are just clutter IMO

Cupholder? I think it looks cheap having it just sitting there. I like to be able to close it off when not in use.

TexP5 said:
Shift knob would be better without the gear pattern written on top...does anyone really NEED those numbers on the knob?

ACTUALLY believe it or not....in Canada its a LAW that its there!!

BigBlue said:
I think the sidemarkers would be of note to a lot of people who have been looking for that for their cars...me personally I don't care that much about if the markers are clear or amber...just as long as they work.

How many speakers does the P5 come with? I was thinking of putting in tweeters in the same spot on my car, but I'm not sure if there might be a better location than that.

And I like the cupholder with the lid on it...keeps a much cleaner look to the car...and sometimes I throw change in there too. :)

me and my cuz put mine in my old ranger. the thing to remember when doing this is that the are really loud! and if you put 2 in facing the driver and passenger they work good. but if you put them right above your head or close to someones ear!!! it will piss you off that you put the time and effort in it to blow up your ear drums. i would put them right were the door and window meet like they showed in the pic!
hope this helped.

Back