1st oil change????

Hey all! New here. We got our 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring three weeks ago. We bought the 3 year service package and were told synthetic only, change every 7,500 miles and there was no break in oil change. I'm used to doing a change at the first 1,000 miles, but I can happily go every 7,500. I went ever 5,000+ on our old 2005 4cyl Saturn with no issues.

Called my service manager, he said only preown have free first oil service.

I guess i'll do it myself :(

Yeah, as was mentioned above most dealers do it just as a 'get to know our service department' thing but not all.

I understand the U.S. regular interval is 7,500 miles. Just got first oil change at 6,500 miles. Service manager recommended every 5,000 miles or 6 months since we're in the Arizona desert. Was charged 56$ for it. Two things I find odd when I got home. Receipt indicated a qnty of 6 0w20s (s for synthetic) at $5.75 each. First- I didn't know the 2.0 CX-5 needed 6 bottles for an oil change? The part number for the filter is OEM so fine there. Second- The service manager indicated they use Quaker State full synthetic 0w20 oil for the change. I didn't think much of it until I got home and could'nt find the OEM connection with that oil and Mazda. In the parts section I do recall them selling Mazda Synthetic oil bottles.

^ 4.4 US quarts per owners manual (with filter replacement)

^ 4.4 US quarts per owners manual (with filter replacement)

Thanks. You just gave me a good precautionary idea. I'm gonna double check the oil level tonight because they might've poured 6 quarts thinking I had the 2.5l engine!!! Anyone know how many quarts the 2.5L uses?

Checked the oil level and it was way over the full line of the dip stick. Good thing I didn't drive the CX-5 all week. The manual indicates possible engine damage with too much oil. Going back to dealer tomorrow to have them drain excess and refund me the extra charged quart.

Checked the oil level and it was way over the full line of the dip stick. Good thing I didn't drive the CX-5 all week. The manual indicates possible engine damage with too much oil. Going back to dealer tomorrow to have them drain excess and refund me the extra charged quart.

What's your owners manual say for the oil capacity for the 2.5L engine?

Man, that's scary to hear about from a dealer. You'd expect that kind of screw up at a Jiffy Lube or someplace like that.

I'd try to get some kind of documentation about it happening. Imagine if you had some kind of engine problem later, under warranty, and they find that it was caused by "somebody overfilling the oil."

What's your owners manual say for the oil capacity for the 2.5L engine?

Thats the thing- we've got the 2.0L engine.

Man, that's scary to hear about from a dealer. You'd expect that kind of screw up at a Jiffy Lube or someplace like that.

I'd try to get some kind of documentation about it happening. Imagine if you had some kind of engine problem later, under warranty, and they find that it was caused by "somebody overfilling the oil."

I've kept the receipt for records. States 6 bottles were used for the oil change. Its just a few freeway exits away to that dealer so not a problem for the engine I hope. Just glad I caught it before driving long distance or drving hard.

Ok here's the update. Quick recap, I got oil changed 2 weeks ago. Noticed invoice indicated 6 quarts. Later I came to find out the 2.0l only takes 4.4 quarts. Car was garaged for the week and used our other car.

Went back to the same dealer this past Sat. I explained what the service manual indicates, explained I've got the 2.0l, and the dip stick showed oil half an inch above the full line. I expected them to correct the error. A few minutes later they tell me everything checked out. Oil level was fine, ect. Provided me with the invoice and indicated they checked everything was to spec. At this point I figure there's no need to argue. I ended up calling up another nearby dealership whom basically provided an oil change that same day (on a Sat. w/no appointment too). They indicated the correct fill limit is 4.4 quarts. They did not charge me anything. Not even a shop fee. I think I found a new servicing center. I rechecked the oil level at home. It's now to spec. I'd prefer to do my own oil change but it's my wife's vehicle and she prefers changes be done at the dealership primarily for documentation. Its always a good idea to double check for any leaks on the ground and to check the oil level regardless of whose doing the servicing.

Last edited:
CX-5 - Interesting update/summary. Glad you found a new and better Mazda service department for future use. I agree, best to double-check under the hood and oil level after service just to be safe.

Thanks darekd for info on oil capacity of 2.5L (4.8 quarts) vs. 2.0L (4.4 quarts).

Back