1999 626?

6speed

:
'05 MSM #36, '05 WWP RX-8
So helping a friend find a cheap car to replace her POS 2000 Ford Contour that breaks down almost every week...

I wasn't looking for anything specific, but then I found this:
1999 Mazda 626 V6

$1,950, 197,000 miles, says it's clean, 1 owner, clean carfax.

No pictures yet, but I think I am going to check it out this weekend for her. Any oddities I should l look for specifically on these? (other than the usual used car stuff)

So helping a friend find a cheap car to replace her POS 2000 Ford Contour that breaks down almost every week...

I wasn't looking for anything specific, but then I found this:
1999 Mazda 626 V6

$1,950, 197,000 miles, says it's clean, 1 owner, clean carfax.

No pictures yet, but I think I am going to check it out this weekend for her. Any oddities I should l look for specifically on these? (other than the usual used car stuff)
that's a lot of miles right there! my bro in law had 2, no issues at all

Yeah, I was thinking that they were deemed nearly indestructible. Being 1 owner this whole time makes that more likely I think.

And if my memory serves, Ashley has the V6 from a 626 in her car?

Yeah I have a V6. There's some slight differences between the 95+ 626 and my motors, but basically the same.

The only thing is, it's an automatic. While I don't like any car with a crapmatic, the automatics pared with those motors (and the Probe/MX6 4cyl) are notoriously crappy. I would ask them if they've had the transmission regularly serviced. If so then it'll be fine since it has newer fluid regularly, if not then try to find something with lower miles since it'd only be a matter of time.

Ah. Very good to know. I figured there was some oddity to look out for.

She can't drive a stick (and I've offered several times to teach her), so it limits my searches a bit.

Thanks!

+1 on the crappy auto trans. I worked for a rental agency back then and we had a few 626s and although great overall cars we did have one with trans problems.

Back