'16 CX-5... mud flaps, or no?

urban_

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD + Tech Package Owner
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting flaps, but I'm not sure how effective and how atheistically pleasing they would look on my white CX-5. I take my car out to trailheads for hiking and mountain biking adventures, so I will be getting some use from them. Has anyone added flaps to their car? I was looking at Rokblokz, but wasn't sure if there are other cheaper options. Thoughts?

X8uAouC.jpg

I like the oem guards; I have wider wheels/tires and the rears bow out a bit kind of like a fender and I like the look. With OEM wheels it makes them look further pushed in; I would probably go with flaps in your case.

I like the oem guards; I have wider wheels/tires and the rears bow out a bit kind of like a fender and I like the look. With OEM wheels it makes them look further pushed in; ...
On the contrary, that is the most disappointing thing to me on OEM rear splash guards. It may help the functionality as a splash guard but has sacrificed the look and aerodynamic. The front ones are the opposite. They look great but less functional as they're a bit tiny.
Another thing I was disappointed on the rear ones. You need to cut a piece off the plastic wheel liner to accommodate a clip nut, which to me is a bad design and shouldn't be this way from an OEM product.
I put OEM splash guards on mainly for looks. They do serve their function somewhat as intended so I recommend them in your situation.

I have a white 2014 GT with front and rear flaps. I always have them on my cars. I do not think they detract from the look, impact aerodynamic much and, most of all, keep the car's body from unnecessary damage from mud, sand and small rock spitting out from your tires. If mudflaps were useless, trucks wouldn't have bothered to install them. They help from throwing pebbles on your and those driving behind you from damage. Get them.

I would like to install the mud flaps myself. Do I need to lift the car and/or remove the wheels to install them? Note: I also posted the question under How To. Hope to get some advise. Thank you.
Own 2016 CX-5 GT.

I would like to install the mud flaps myself. Do I need to lift the car and/or remove the wheels to install them? Note: I also posted the question under How To. Hope to get some advise. Thank you.
Own 2016 CX-5 GT.

No need to lift or remove tires to install.

On another note...wow! White looks great on the cx5! That said, I love white cars. It shows subtle lines very well!

Happy with the OEM on my '14. Did not have to lift, take wheels off, nor make any cuts to install them on my '14. Apparently yrwei52, on his '16, had to make a cut in the wheel well liner to install the rears. Perhaps he can expand on what he found as this was not the case for the '13-'15 model years.

i got the OEM one's installed at the dealership, i think they look awesome all around.

What about the eBay versions? They seem to be about the same coverage as own but loads cheaper. Anyone use them? How'd you like them?

Happy with the OEM on my '14. Did not have to lift, take wheels off, nor make any cuts to install them on my '14. Apparently yrwei52, on his '16, had to make a cut in the wheel well liner to install the rears. Perhaps he can expand on what he found as this was not the case for the '13-'15 model years.
I do have some pictures to show you:

These cuts for small screw holes were not biggies.
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06201.jpg

This square cut on plastic wheel liner is necessary to accommodate the bottom clip nut of the three. It's also in the instruction and there is a marked line on the plastic wheel liner to guide the proper cut. I had seen some people said he didn't do this cut but I felt this is for bottom screw and it's needed to hold the rear splash guard properly. I might also skip the cut if it's for middle screw.
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06206.jpg
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06205.jpg
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06207.jpg

The front splash guards look very tiny.
Front%252520Splash%252520Guards__DSC06193.jpg

The rear splash guards bowing out too much as you can see from here. They definitely will "catch" a lot of air and look awkward to me too.
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06213.jpg

Learn to use the search function. This has been covered many times before like here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ftermarket-CX-5-Mud-Flaps&highlight=mud+flaps

Hey, Thanks for that, I've never heard of this "search function" you speak of. It must be some sort of new fangled technology that's just making it's way to the market. Here's a billion dollar idea, what if there was some sort of "search function" that would allow you to search for just about anything on the internet. I would be really cool if they could come up with something like that and maybe make it so that whenever you went to the internet it would be the first page that pops up!!!

Seriously, I know of the search function, I've used it and I've seen that thread. I only asked the question to spark a conversation in this thread since the OP is asking about Mudflaps and is considering rockblockz put wanted to know if there were any "cheaper" solutions. So far everyone has commented on the OEM mud guards with no mention of Ebay versions. Since I don't have ebay or OEM mud guards I asked the question to hopefully assist the OP in his quest for "cheaper" mudflaps. I can't comment on the quality of the ebay ones, there seems to be different versions on ebay.

Why didn't you blast the OP for asking his question? Since as you pointed out, it's been covered? I guess the forum is doomed to have a bunch of threads where no one helps anyone out and instead just yells "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION"

Off my soap box now.

In my opinion if you want some type of "mud flap", oem are great if you have wider wheels with a further offset (e.g a more flush wheel specifically). If you put them with the oem wheels, it looks ridiculous because they stick out and exaggerate pushed in look of the skinny wheels. The "flap" type offered by rockblockz and I think some other brands will not look as silly on the oem wheels/size. Rockblockz http://rokblokz.com/mazda-cx-5-13.html They stick out more, but they have the classic mudflap look so it doesn't look as out of place (on OEM wheels) as the OEM mudguard, which look like a part of the lower cladding.

Even still, the rear flap is slightly further than the wheel, with 8.5x20 +40
Y6AJQ8P.jpg

Last edited:
Those front mud flaps look almost identical to my car's. But they do look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back