100K MP5 Club

I have almost 190K on my 2002 Protege5. No big issues until just recently--needs a new manifold catalytic converter (Error Code P0421) -- the expensive California type!

I have almost 190K on my 2002 Protege5. No big issues until just recently--needs a new manifold catalytic converter (Error Code P0421) -- the expensive California type!
If you havent bought a new cat yet, see if you can source an MSP midpipe and then get a catless header and O2 extension wires. The MSP midpipe has two cats so youd be ok on a sniffer. If they do a visual inspection, you are SOL.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Just hit 195k and timing belt went! Was 5 to 10k away from needing to have it done again.

Not sure what I will do. Talked to my old mechanic back in San Diego and he told me to just toss a belt on it to see if it makes any noise. If no noise, do a compression check and see where it's at and go from there. If it makes noise, pull the head and check out the valves and pistons. If pistons look ok then valve job and replace bad valves.

Any suggestions?

Just hit 195k and timing belt went! Was 5 to 10k away from needing to have it done again.

Not sure what I will do. Talked to my old mechanic back in San Diego and he told me to just toss a belt on it to see if it makes any noise. If no noise, do a compression check and see where it's at and go from there. If it makes noise, pull the head and check out the valves and pistons. If pistons look ok then valve job and replace bad valves.

Any suggestions?
The protege motor is non interference. You should be fine

I really hope it is! So far all my research comes back 50/50 on it being interference/non-intererence.

Looks like your close to me, I'm out by Granite Falls, you can drive by and toss beer cans at me while I'm working on it... Full ones please.

The protege motor is non interference. You should be fine

Any suggestions?

mine also broke at about 180-190k. Like yourself, most of what i read said it was an interference motor, but for $30 i bought a new belt and put it on, figuring "it's $30, worth a shot". fired it up and have been driving it ever since without issue. I commute about 230 miles per day back and forth to work :)

IF it broke at 6k RPM as you were pretending it was a race car you might have a problem, but if you were driving normal i'm sure it will be fine.

Mine was on the second belt and it wennt out on my morning commute (about 2800 RPM). Towed it home, bought a belt, replaced it in the driveway and back on the road before noon. Watch the Youtube video chain on this. Easy maintenance if you have a jack, a jackstand, a block of wood, some metric tools and some general mechanical knowledge.

The hardest thing about the job is keeping the cams timed, but he shows a trick for that on the video chain.

2003 P5 MT with just over 130k on the clock

also finally stopped lurking and registered!
In H-town area too. Welcome aboard. (Don't post that too often here anymore) Does the velo mean you ride bikes? I have about 20 around the house.

Didn't have time, to be honest. Was more concerned at the time about just seeing if it would run and making it run again. Water pump and seals are fine, if one goes out I'll deal with that later. Not a big deal to get back at them again if necessary.

It's a commuter with good gas mileage... it's an 02 with 220k miles. While I take care of it and do stay on top of the necessary maintenance I don't intend to go all out crazy. It runs great, gets 33-35mpg, no check engine light, doesn't burn or leak coolant or oil, no rust, cold AC and hot heat. I say If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

Didn't have time, to be honest. Was more concerned at the time about just seeing if it would run and making it run again. Water pump and seals are fine, if one goes out I'll deal with that later. Not a big deal to get back at them again if necessary.

It's a commuter with good gas mileage... it's an 02 with 220k miles. While I take care of it and do stay on top of the necessary maintenance I don't intend to go all out crazy. It runs great, gets 33-35mpg, no check engine light, doesn't burn or leak coolant or oil, no rust, cold AC and hot heat. I say If it ain't broke don't fix it :)
Ah. At 200k im doing all that because it has that many miles and I don't want to tear it apart again

Same here. 220,000 miles! Good cars!

mine also broke at about 180-190k. Like yourself, most of what i read said it was an interference motor, but for $30 i bought a new belt and put it on, figuring "it's $30, worth a shot". fired it up and have been driving it ever since without issue. I commute about 230 miles per day back and forth to work :)

IF it broke at 6k RPM as you were pretending it was a race car you might have a problem, but if you were driving normal i'm sure it will be fine.

With what you and a couple other posters have said is making me feel better. Hopefully it will work out for me. Since I'm new to the area and have only visited the shop I took it to one other time, just not sure if they were being honest when they said they did a compression check.

I was probably at about 3k to 3.5kRPMs when it went since I was going up a fairly large hill for some time. This afternoon I will be pulling it apart to do a new belt and ordering a compression checker since I want to get a good idea of its condition before trying to start it.

Mine was on the second belt and it wennt out on my morning commute (about 2800 RPM). Towed it home, bought a belt, replaced it in the driveway and back on the road before noon. Watch the Youtube video chain on this. Easy maintenance if you have a jack, a jackstand, a block of wood, some metric tools and some general mechanical knowledge.

Can you share the YouTube link you watched?

With so many peoples belts breaking right before 200k I am glad I got new ones put on just now at 182k. I can still hear something related to the power steering still trying to squeal ha.

Pushing 200k
4eb0a8c2bf52d856ae7ff59c0232d71a.jpg

Back