0W20 for 2020 CX-5 GTR?

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?

Just checked the invoice. The oil filter dealer put in stated as PY8W-14-302-MV. Can anyone tell what the 'MV' designator means. From my quick reading it seems that most are familiar with Japanese Manufactured PY8W-14-302 being original part in turbo as it shipped from factory but has since been superseded by 1WPY-14-302. So what did dealer give me if I have a PY8W-14-302-MV. I have not looked under car yet at the actual filter. Thanks in advance.

As @Sig cx-5 mentioned, it's a filter made in Mexico. It's basically the "value line" option for these engine oil filters. The good news is that it is the correct filter for the turbo engine, so they likely also used the correct oil.

Generally people suggest using the Thailand made 1WPY filter as it is a better quality for not much more money. But the MV filter should be fine as well.

Upvote 0
Just checked the invoice. The oil filter dealer put in stated as PY8W-14-302-MV. Can anyone tell what the 'MV' designator means. From my quick reading it seems that most are familiar with Japanese Manufactured PY8W-14-302 being original part in turbo as it shipped from factory but has since been superseded by 1WPY-14-302. So what did dealer give me if I have a PY8W-14-302-MV. I have not looked under car yet at the actual filter. Thanks in advance.
PY8W-14-302-MV is from OEM “Value Product” maintenance parts line and it’s made in Mexico. They’re cheaper than standard OEM maintenance parts. It’s like Mexican made “Value Product” PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter to defunct Japanese made Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A for 2.5L. Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter which supersedes Tokyo Roki Japanese made PY8W-14-302 definitely is a better quality oil filter.

This’s one way Mazda can let their dealers make a bit more money as these dealers will use cheaper “Value Product” oil filters for the oil change, in the mean time their price is still the same as before. Insist OEM Denso oil filter even if you have to pay more.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I got 2 free oil changes with the car so I guess I got what I paid for. I definitely would have paid a few dollars more had I been aware of this. Crazy that they'd try and make a few dollars instead of putting the best parts in they could into a 30k+ vehicle they just sold me. I thought that was the big reason people take cars to the Dealership so they don't get cheap aftermarket parts from the independents. Go figure.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I got 2 free oil changes with the car so I guess I got what I paid for. I definitely would have paid a few dollars more had I been aware of this. Crazy that they'd try and make a few dollars instead of putting the best parts in they could into a 30k+ vehicle they just sold me. I thought that was the big reason people take cars to the Dealership so they don't get cheap aftermarket parts from the independents. Go figure.

I would actually prefer the OEM "value" filter over one of the aftermarket filters from brands like Wix, Fram, etc. It's not that using those filters has been proven to cause any harm on our engines, it's just my preference to use an OEM filter over an aftermarket one during the warranty period.

Upvote 0
'Best' is a relative for the OEM filters. The Mexican made OEM filters are still excellent and made to spec. The Thai filters are pre-greased and have a cellophane cover on the top to keep dirt out after the box is opened.

Upvote 0
This’s very strange that Mazda North American Operations offer a separate “Value Product” line for OEM maintenance parts. MNAO may be the only car manufacture in the US selling 2 lines of maintenance parts which doesn’t make any sense to me. Most car owners take their car to the dealership for the best OEM parts like you said, but those Mazda owners will be disappointed that they actually got cheaper “Value Product”, even though Mazda does have “normal” OEM maintenance parts available to use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
'Best' is a relative for the OEM filters. The Mexican made OEM filters are still excellent and made to spec. The Thai filters are pre-greased and have a cellophane cover on the top to keep dirt out after the box is opened.
In addition, the paper box of Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filter is sealed but smaller Denso Thai oil filter is not. Both oil filters have greased O-ring type gasket protected by heat-shrink wrapper. And the “Value Product” OEM Mexican oil filter comes with no paper box, but is only sealed entirely by heat-shrink wrapper. “Value Product” Mexican filter has flat rubber gasket which is not pre-greased.

Upvote 0
It's been more than a month since Eric (original poster) has been here. I'm still curious what, if anything, he has done about the issue.

@Eric...Update?

Upvote 0
The olly documentation you have is what is on the work sheet so they must put in the correct oil 5w30 per MAZDA Corporation. Anything else is "hearsay" and is not acceptably. Ed

Upvote 0
Hi all, I just bought a pre-owned GTR from the originating dealer in Ohio. A printout of all service from the dealer service department records show "5,000 mile maintenance including full synthetic oil" etc. performed at 5,388; 10,133; 17,659; 23,202; 28,629 and (this Nov.) 34,227 miles.

After taking final delivery and driving the car 400 miles to my Chicago home, I found tucked away in the car 2 customer receipts, for the first and last oil changes, and under "02MAZ05S" procedure (Synthetic Oil 5K Service) found
- 0W20 Full [synthetic]
- 1WPY-14-302 Oil Filter

So...if that's correct, they used the right filter, but the wrong oil given the mfr. spec of 5W-30 oil for the 2.5T engine. No way of knowing if this was also on the receipts for 4 oil changes they did inbetween.

Maybe when they enter the invoice code for 5K synthetic service, it just preloads that oil description, but the technician--knowing better--actually pours in 5W-30 oil?

I called a service advisor and asked why they might have used 0W-20 in a turbo engine. He seemed very unsure of himself in defending the use of 0W-20W, held the phone for a moment, and then said "it gives better fuel mileage. But as the engine gets older, you can use the thicker oil if you want." So I discounted this as the usual defensive narrative and realized, I may never know what oil was used or why.

My course of action now (having driven the car 400 highway miles to get it home to Chicago) is to immediately replace the oil with the correct spec and move on with my life. If I ever have an issue with Mazda over a powertrain warranty claim, I will not be able to defend their authorized dealer's actions.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all, I just bought a pre-owned GTR from the originating dealer in Ohio. A printout of all service from the dealer service department records show "5,000 mile maintenance including full synthetic oil" etc. performed at 5,388; 10,133; 17,659; 23,202; 28,629 and (this Nov.) 34,227 miles.

After taking final delivery and driving the car 400 miles to my Chicago home, I found tucked away in the car 2 customer receipts, for the first and last oil changes, and under "02MAZ05S" procedure (Synthetic Oil 5K Service) found
- 0W20 Full [synthetic]
- 1WPY-14-203 Oil Filter

So...if that's correct, they used the right filter, but the wrong oil given the mfr. spec of 5W-30 oil for the 2.5T engine. No way of knowing if this was also on the receipts for 4 oil changes they did inbetween.

Maybe when the enter the code for 5K synthetic service, it just preloads that oil description, but the technician--knowing better--actually pours in 5W-30 oil?

I called a service advisor and asked why they might have used 0W-20 in a turbo engine. He seemed very unsure of himself in defending the use of 0W-20W, held the phone for a moment, and then said "it gives better fuel mileage. But as the engine gets older, you can use the thicker oil if you want." So I discounted this as the usual defensive narrative and realized, I may never know what oil was used or why.

My course of action now (having driven the car 400 highway miles to get it home to Chicago) is to immediately replace the oil with the correct spec and move on with my life. If I ever have an issue with Mazda over a powertrain warranty claim, I will not be able to defend their authorized dealer's actions.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I’m pretty sure the OEM oil filter listed on the old invoices and installed by the Mazda dealer on your 2.5T is Thai made 1WPY-14-302 Denso oil filter, not 1WPY-14-203.

I believe that Mazda dealer only stocks bulk 0W-20 oil for all Mazda vehicles, as there’re very few modern engines still use 5W-30, not enough demand to stock bulk 5W-30 oil from their point of view.

Hoping the tech actually would use 5W-30 instead of the 0W-20 oil logged in their service system is a wishful thinking, even though the tech should see the “5W-30” on the oil cap.

At this point not much you can do as even if the thinner oil caused some engine wear, you won’t be able to prove. The affect is long term and if you don’t keep the CX-5 long, just don’t worry about it. Change the oil to correct name-brand 5W-30 full synthetic oil with correct OEM oil filter now, you’ll be fine.

If you really want to have more insurance to the engine, you can first send in the current oil for a UOA after you changed the oil to verify it’s a 0W-20, and find out if there’s anything unusual from the UOA report. Then you can contact Mazda North American Operations presenting the UOA report and service records with old invoices by the Mazda dealer showing they had been putting in wrong oil, and ask them what they can do for all of these errors made by the Mazda dealer (extended engine warranty maybe?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m pretty sure the OEM oil filter listed on the old invoices and installed by the Mazda dealer on your 2.5T is Thai made 1WPY-14-302 Denso oil filter, not 1WPY-14-203.

Absolutely correct! I had a typo in my post.

The affect is long term and if you don’t keep the CX-5 long, just don’t worry about it.

I plan to keep the vehicle a long time. It's a Mazda6 btw; I posted in this thread as it was germaine to the same 2.5T engine and didn't want to start a new thread.

... you can contact Mazda North American Operations presenting the UOA report and service records with old invoices by the Mazda dealer showing they had been putting in wrong oil ...

Actually I am thinking I should do this even without the UOA -- after all, it's THEIR burden to prove damage from their dealer's error, not mine -- to create a paper trail "just in case" it ever comes up again. And then close the case.

Thanks for the great feedback.

Upvote 0
⋯ Actually I am thinking I should do this even without the UOA -- after all, it's THEIR burden to prove damage from their dealer's error, not mine -- to create a paper trail "just in case" it ever comes up again. And then close the case.
Yes you can contact MNAO without a UOA but with only dealer’s paper work. But I feel since you’re concerned for the 0W-20 oil been used in the 2.5T instead of 5W-30, and you’re planning to change the oil soon, might as well save some old oil and send it out for a UOA. The UOA report can tell many things about the engine health, hence a peace of mind to you if the UOA looks fine.

Upvote 0
Back