03 Automatic Shifter Problems

sarsbars

:
'03 Protege5
Here are my issues:

- Car won't start in park (yes I know, neutral safety switch). The little box doesn't light up around the "P" anymore.

- My check engine light is NOT on (I'm not sure if this indicates that it's NOT the neutral safety switch? Or does it not necessarily have to throw a code in order for it to be that?).

- Twice this week I've put it it into park and it's continued to lurch forward (not really a roll, but kind of -jerk- -catch- -jerk-). I don't know how long it would continue to do that before stopping (or if it even would!!). I know that there is a normal roll forward when put into park, but this is different, and very unsettling. I always put the parking brake on as a precaution anyway because of the fact that it "doesn't register" that it's in park.

- Yesterday morning I had difficulty getting my car out of "manual mode" and into drive. Today I am having problems going from neutral to drive (and vice versa). I can hear something clicking when I try to change gears. This tells me that it's a mechanical issue and not an electrical one (although maybe I have a medley of problems). I took apart my center console tonight and sprayed around on the cables and some plastic switches. This did NOT help. The car guru fiance had a look, and he noticed that down under the shifter (under where drive would be) there is a little brass colored ball. Would this have anything to do with it? What does that ball do?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what's going on before I take it to a mechanic and pour lots of money into something that has the potential to be a DIY fix. Plus they already threatened to fail my inspection because it only starts in neutral.

I drive my car in manual mode about 80% of the time. Could it be that I broke something, or that it's getting too worn out? The car has 105k, so maybe this is just normal wear and tear, but what do I need to fix?!

Thanks.

I'll qualify myself that I haven't taken a P5 auto shifter apart before but I'll throw my 2c in since nobody else has.

When using manual mode (I do too more than 50% of the time) do you shift with a light flick of a finger or do you jam it against the switches?

Sounds like the gear select switch is out of alignment, the cable is stretched, or too much play in the bushings. I don't know where the ball would go but that doesn't sound good. I know the factory service manual is available for download somewhere around here because I have it, that'd be worth a looksie.

Thanks for the response. Sometimes I can be a little rough when I get irritated with fellow drivers. I think this is the "ball" so maybe it's more of a pin:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...lever-kit/_/N-25rl?itemIdentifier=433117_0_0_

Unfortunately we can't get the screw to loosen.
I found my copy of the repair manual, but I am diagram stupid. Some of them are overwhelming, so I'll have the brainy car guy see what he can learn.

I was just hoping for some thoughts/suggestions before I go dismantling my entire shifter!

Back