Well...that was lame.

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I know, I bitched and moaned about Android Auto not being offered until now, but really, it was just because it was a feature Mazdas didnt have. Now that its here, I didnt care. Finally installed it after 6800 miles.

Wow.

Are you serious?

Total waste of my time. Instead of pushing the talk button to give nav commands, I now say "okay google". Why did it take Mazda this long to voice activate options? Why are people so hung up on it? Is it part of the allure of saying something vs pressing a button? I feel like I was ripped off in the expectation department. AA wasnt worth the free wifi i downloaded it with.

I guess one person's trash is another person's treasure LOL

I still use the button on the wheel to interact with AA... I find it easier and less annoying than saying "OK google" and waiting for my turn to say what I need.

I guess one person's trash is another person's treasure LOL

I still use the button on the wheel to interact with AA... I find it easier and less annoying than saying "OK google" and waiting for my turn to say what I need.

Do you not like the stock NAV, or was yours sans NAV and this is just a cheaper way than paying for NAV?

1 OMG Mazda sucks, why can't they be more like Jeep rah rah rah slow POS: GETS NEW MAZDA: OMG THIS IS AWESOME!

2 OMG MAZDA sucks how do they not offer AA yet, OMG: GETS AA: OMG This is what I was bitching about?!?

Here's a thought: try not commenting on stuff until you know you're actually talking about?!?!

You look like a.... let's just say troll. But you've flat out admitted to that so that's nothing we didn't already know.

1 OMG Mazda sucks, why can't they be more like Jeep rah rah rah slow POS: GETS NEW MAZDA: OMG THIS IS AWESOME!

2 OMG MAZDA sucks how do they not offer AA yet, OMG: GETS AA: OMG This is what I was bitching about?!?

Here's a thought: try not commenting on stuff until you know you're actually talking about?!?!

You look like a.... let's just say troll. But you've flat out admitted to that so that's nothing we didn't already know.

Bah, voice activated NAV? I'm just shocked people cared that much. I thought it was an added feature or something. All it does is make the screen go blank (detracting "feature") and give you Google map NAV (better than Mazda's as it's up to date, but still)

Last edited:
AA/CP are just the latest "must have" tech fads in autos. If you don't have them, people will complain about it. The best is people that are now complaining that they removed CD players.

AA/CP are just the latest "must have" tech fads in autos. If you don't have them, people will complain about it. The best is people that are now complaining that they removed CD players.

But I thought it would do something cool/added value :(

Like in my Jeep and 370Z, you could watch DVD's etc. I thought maybe this would have some similar feature of some nature?

Had A CD in my CD player and forgot it was there the past few months. Played it and forgot how much sound quality I was missing vs even 320 kbps MP3s.

Had A CD in my CD player and forgot it was there the past few months. Played it and forgot how much sound quality I was missing vs even 320 kbps MP3s.

Yeah, they really should add FLAC support like most other manufactures are doing now.

My viewpoint is that with AA/CP, car manufacturers can starting moving away from being primarily responsible for music/navigation in their vehicles, and instead defer to devices that many of us already own. That is only a good thing, as most car entertainment systems to date are poorly designed and awkwardly functional at worst, and at best still result in many compromises. Phone and even tablet devices are generally better designed to handle music and navigation, as are the associated apps available on them and where compatible with AA/CP. I think the MZD Connect system is fine including the navigation, but I prefer the higher flexibility of Google or even Apple navigation, and just personally appreciate the look of the CP music app versus the pretty basic looking MZD one. Minor thing, but a matter of individual preference... (shrug)

This does not sound like a Mazda problem, as much as an Android Auto letdown. Had you not used AA before? For me, the allure (I use CarPlay, but it's essentially the same thing) is in the interface as much (or more) than it is the actual functionality. Sure, I could use Bluetooth and the built-in nav and probably be OK. I could drive my old car that only had a single-line LCD display that said "Aux" when my phone was plugged in, and still get where I'm going without a problem. But, subjectively, the overall experience of AA or CP is so much better than the built-in Mazda Connect that it's worth talking about.

Bah, voice activated NAV? I'm just shocked people cared that much. I thought it was an added feature or something. All it does is make the screen go blank (detracting "feature") and give you Google map NAV (better than Mazda's as it's up to date, but still)

Ugh. Actually going to make me explain AA to you. Me... the guy that defends Mazda's infotainment all the time.
Look... Mazda ALREADY has voice Nav options in the native Mazda Infotainment henceforth referred to as MI. HAS had this for YEARS. This is nothing new. It's clunky... but it in fact does work. Kind of why that voice button is there on the steering wheel.
The draw for Google Maps in AA isn't because Voice... it's Google Maps. GOOGLE MAPS in your dash. Do you seriously not understand how GMaps is better then the MI Nav? Remember Mongo and his LIVE TRAFFIC complaints?!? How about having the option in AA to use WAZE which will show you traffic jams, police speed traps and red light cameras? It will reroute you to, unliike GMaps... and unlike Mazda's re-routing which prompts you for a reroute based on historic traffic patterns, not actual traffic conditions.
AA is also about being able to TEXT safely while driving. Press Button: Text Wife Be home soon. Boom.
Running your audio options safely without taking your eyes off the road: Press button : Play my Rock Yo Ass Playlist. "Ok, Playing Rock Yo Ass on Spotify".
WHILE DIVING how easy is it going to be for you to find a nearby gas station in an unfamiliar area? While driving it won't be very safe to use the MI to navigate through the many menus you need to do that. With AA? Press Button: Navigate to nearest gas station. 'Ok! Let's go!'
The next version coming this summer finally implements proper texting so you get prompted when you receive a message. Current AA does NOT do that which is my biggest complaint.

I am FAR and away not the biggest fan of AA or ACP but I certainly understand its many benefits and do use it occasionally. I hope this helps you understand it's about much more then... voice nav.

Last edited:
This does not sound like a Mazda problem, as much as an Android Auto letdown. Had you not used AA before? For me, the allure (I use CarPlay, but it's essentially the same thing) is in the interface as much (or more) than it is the actual functionality. Sure, I could use Bluetooth and the built-in nav and probably be OK. I could drive my old car that only had a single-line LCD display that said "Aux" when my phone was plugged in, and still get where I'm going without a problem. But, subjectively, the overall experience of AA or CP is so much better than the built-in Mazda Connect that it's worth talking about.

I expected it to make my screen look like my phone, like, whatever I saw on my phone, would go on the screen, like YouTube or whatever, but Mazda sucks compared to Subaru, which does this, or AA sucks compared to CarPlay, which does this in Subaru. I am not sure which. I bet AA is just junk, honestly.

Dude wants to watch YouTube while he's driving... god save us all....

Just buy an ipad, mount it on your dash, hotspot your phone, and watch YouTube while you drive...that's what you are asking about right? The bigger the screen the easier for the Cops to pull you over and give you Tix. But that sounds like what you want.

Also you want Apple Carplay and AA to be the same, perhaps you could call Apple or Google, and have the one purchase the other and then we could all have the same single option for phone OS and Car Infotainment...

Easy fixes to your problems...

Funny, I found the AA upgrade a complete revelation. I found the Mazda Navigation and voice commands nearly completely useless to the point that I used my Android phone on a window mount.

It takes like 8 button presses just to navigate home on the Mazda system.

Funny, I found the AA upgrade a complete revelation. I found the Mazda Navigation and voice commands nearly completely useless to the point that I used my Android phone on a window mount.

It takes like 8 button presses just to navigate home on the Mazda system.

AA/ACP would of course be faster and easier to use. The drawback to the Mazda system is how quickly the maps become outdated.

That said, navigating home actually takes 4 inputs if you've assigned a Home address. Press the NAV button, choose "Navigate Home", press to confirm destination, then press again to start. The odd part is that saving Home as a destination in your Favorites doesn't provide any benefit. Still takes 4 inputs to start navigation from Favorites. Ideally, I would just press the * button, then choose Home as a destination. Instead, I also have to confirm the destination, then actually start the navigation.

Back