Best way to remove scratches. =(

I noticed a few (what i hope) are surface scratches on my 2018 cx5 driver door. Vehicle color is deep crystal blue mica for context. I dont have much experience trying to repair/conceal car paint scratches but i know u need to be quite careful. ive read meguiars scratch x and mothers are good for this type of job.

Is it safe to try these just with just the microfibre cloth? Im just weary about making them worse because they are mild abrasives. so wanted to know if anyone has used these products for basic touchups without using electrical tools on their cx5. Or maybe theres something better to use. Seems cx5 paint is quite delicate so i want to be extra careful before i attempt anything.

I noticed a few (what i hope) are surface scratches on my 2018 cx5 driver door. Vehicle color is deep crystal blue mica for context. I dont have much experience trying to repair/conceal car paint scratches but i know u need to be quite careful. ive read meguiars scratch x and mothers are good for this type of job.

Is it safe to try these just with just the microfibre cloth? Im just weary about making them worse because they are mild abrasives. so wanted to know if anyone has used these products for basic touchups without using electrical tools on their cx5. Or maybe theres something better to use. Seems cx5 paint is quite delicate so i want to be extra careful before i attempt anything.

I got around to removing the scratches.

Used Meguiars Foam Applicator Pads and Meguiar's Scratch X.

I've heard that microfiber cloths can still scratch so i used the foam applicator pad.

Let me say, I was originally a bit skeptical that the scratches would be removed but I was pretty surprised at the results.

The scratch x removed the scratches completely with some effort.

Granted if you have deep scratches it wont work but, if it's slightly deeper than a swirl mark, it should still work.

Was clearing some bird droppings off the hood and roof of my car earlier and I noticed some scratches on the back roof area (the piece of roof area next to the sunroof on the back).

Have no clue where this happened.

When I run my fingernail over the few lines it catches my fingernail. They are faint but I can feel them with my fingernails.

What's the best way to get rid of these? Would these have to be buffed out?

I have the same thing with my hood. On day I used bottled water and a napkin to gently get the crap off (thinking I was doing a good thing), and a week later as I was washing it, I noticed swirls in that spot. I did NOT scrub it.

All I can say is that someone needs to be thankful for the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

And it serves me right for not driving from the dealer to the PPF guy across the street the day I picked it up.

So did you essentially apply the liquid to the pad, apply in circular motion and then wipe off excess residue? Did you see any reemergence after rain or washing?

So did you essentially apply the liquid to the pad, apply in circular motion and then wipe off excess residue? Did you see any reemergence after rain or washing?

You need to clean the area really well. Wash with automotive soap, clean with clay bar while lubricating the surface. Then you can try scratch X. Basic idea is if your surface is dirty you will be rubbing it on paint. You can also use a polish. Finally you need to seal with wax or some sealant. If you have never done this here is the cheapest option imo:
Optimum No Rinse can be used for clay bar lube and hd speed as all in one polish and sealant.

You will have to apply multiple times if scratch is deep. It gets better slowly. Applicator pad is a plus. MF towels work as well

No, I use just the Z-2 alone without the ZFX or Z-AIO. (I did use the ZFX once and it made no difference that I could see). Also, I would try the Z-2 first and only use the Z-5 if you still see fine scratches that bother you. Since the Z-5 is a polish it may thin the clear coat.

Thanks CX5Nut for the info but aren't they both polishes? Please clarify if I missing something as I'll be starting on my CX-5 this year. It's at 50,000 mile and have developed some blemishes.

Thanks

Thanks CX5Nut for the info but aren't they both polishes? Please clarify if I missing something as I'll be starting on my CX-5 this year. It's at 50,000 mile and have developed some blemishes.

Thanks

No, the Z-2 has no abrasives in it and is a polymer wax to shine/protect the paint. It also seems to hide slight surface scratches in the clear coat.
When used regularly (I do it every 1-2 months after a wash) it keeps the paint looking like new.

No, the Z-2 has no abrasives in it and is a polymer wax to shine/protect the paint. It also seems to hide slight surface scratches in the clear coat.
When used regularly (I do it every 1-2 months after a wash) it keeps the paint looking like new.

OK thanks it's a little confusing as they are both labeled polish.
I seem an article where they try to describe the steps. First, Clay as being very abrasive, Rubbing Compound next with some abrasion and finally Polish more for shining.

So would Z-5 be classified Rubbing Compound? Even though they call it a Polish. And I would also assume Meguiar's Scratch X would be a Rubbing Compound.

Thanks, trying to get my ducks in a row before I start.

OK thanks it's a little confusing as they are both labeled polish.
I seem an article where they try to describe the steps. First, Clay as being very abrasive, Rubbing Compound next with some abrasion and finally Polish more for shining.

So would Z-5 be classified Rubbing Compound? Even though they call it a Polish. And I would also assume Meguiar's Scratch X would be a Rubbing Compound.

Thanks, trying to get my ducks in a row before I start.

Not sure but I have always kept it simple. No clay bar, no rubbing compound....just hand wash at least once month, dry car (but not 100% dry since the Z2 likes a little moisture to go on), apply Z-2, let it dry for 5 hrs, then remove with a soft cotton towel. I always wash in the shade too.

Back