Oil filter differences?

To answer your question, I've been using the Fram Ultra for the last 1-1/2 years on my 2014 and no functional problems and I think it's a good filter I'll keep using. I will mention that my practice for years has been to give an additional 1/4- 1/3 turn after the recommended tightening (usually 1 full turn after gasket contact). I found out real quickly that with this filter it's a bugger to remove, so no more tightening than instructed meaning hand tight. The non-skid grip coating is a big help here but it also changes the 'diameter' and makes for a less than tight fit for a 67 mm cup wrench and too tight a fit for a 65 mm cup wrench.
Referring back to the tight filter experience, the 67 mm cup removed some coating and slipped without loosening the filter. I had to carefully hammer on the 65 mm cup wrench (luckily had on hand) to loosen the filter and it was on tight. Afterward I also had to hammer off the cup from the old filter. Also, the 65mm cup wrench that saved my bacon was a good quality, heavier gauge Lisle brand. The one that slipped was a cheaper Walmart light gauge dual size 65/67 cup wrench. Additionally, because it is dual size, each size only has half of the 'depth' to grip the end of the filter thus enabling it to slip off the end of a really tight filter. I mention this even if you choose to use a Mazda or other brand filter as you'll still want a cup wrench to use with an extension and ratchet /breaker bar because with oil filters, installing by hand doesn't always mean removing by hand.
Now, I had the dealer do all of the oil changes until out of powertrain warranty to minimize any finger pointing if any engine problems occurred. The prices were more reasonable then also.
Really, after reading about the engine problems on this board that Mazda has/had with CD, I'd really think about letting the dealer do the oil changes at least for a while until you decide which way to go. I think it could only make your case, should one occur, look more favorable in the eyes of Mazda concerning any manufacturer help they would render.
I just installed one of these on my Scion. For years I've stayed away from Fram oil filters I guess because of the bad rap they got years ago. but the filter gets rave reviews on BITOG. There's some impressive testing data on that sight comparing this filter with some other name brands. It is a bit pricey though.

I recently ordered a 3 pack of Mazda PY8W-14-302 (Japanese) filters from Amazon. What I received was the Thai made 1WPY-14-302 alternates. They are approved by Mazda so I will keep them but be aware that the Japanese made filters may be hard to get. Supply chain issues I guess.

I would love to use a Fram Ultra on my CX 5 and change it only every other oil change. The filters are certainly good enough to go 10,000 miles. However, I remain unconvinced that any non-Mazda filter is completely safe to use. There is something unique about the Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo engine design that from what I understand precludes the use of non-approved filters. Your engine probably won't fail but until Mazda approves other filters, even good ones like the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 I will stick with the OEM filters.

I recently ordered a 3 pack of Mazda PY8W-14-302 (Japanese) filters from Amazon. What I received was the Thai made 1WPY-14-302 alternates. They are approved by Mazda so I will keep them but be aware that the Japanese made filters may be hard to get. Supply chain issues I guess.

I would love to use a Fram Ultra on my CX 5 and change it only every other oil change. The filters are certainly good enough to go 10,000 miles. However, I remain unconvinced that any non-Mazda filter is completely safe to use. There is something unique about the Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo engine design that from what I understand precludes the use of non-approved filters. Your engine probably won't fail but until Mazda approves other filters, even good ones like the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 I will stick with the OEM filters.

There are some very interesting videos on Fram filters.

There are some very interesting videos on Fram filters.

I can see your point, BUT, first of all the video is 4 years old, second of all, it's not the Ultra which is constructed differently. The video you show is actually the reason I've avoided Frams for years, but the Ultra appears different, advertises a filtration of up to 95% of particulates up to 20 microns, and has a different filtration medium. I'm not defending Fram, but there are a lot of good reviews on BITOG for this filter which includes independent testing. Just figured I'd give it a try.

Ah yes, the infamous Fram OCOD: Orange Can Of Death. Those truly are junk. Their better filters are indeed better though. However, the price of the better Fram filters are more than the price of Mazda OEM filters. So why not just use the OEM? That's my thoughts on the subject.

Have always used manufacturer filters until out of warranty and then some years after. Usually ran manufacturer filters for about 7 or 8 years then switched to fram filters(their mid to upper line) or NAPA filters for another six years after because was more available than a trip to dealership Whether it was Toyota or Ford, or Chevy, etc. the engines still lasted a good 14 + years without problems ( the frames rusted through hence car retirement)

But maybe was lucky in that the one size fits all didn't affect those engines.

Based on filter posts on the forum about the Mazda filter construct, it's possible the mazda engine is different and needs only the Mazda filter.

I will definitely run the Mazda filters for 8 years before considering switching out to an aftermarket filter.

And would suggest all new car owners at least use the Mazda filter until the warranty period has expiry.

sorry to reply to an old thread, but have an interesting question: My wife has a 2020 CX-5 with the 2.5L Turbo, and I've used the 1WPY-14-302 (Thailand) filters on it. My son just got a 2014 3i Sport with the 2.0L N/A engine, and the filters for it are listed as 1WPE-14-302 (Thailand).

Would there be an issue using the filters for the turbo (1WPY-14-302) on the non-turbo engine?

Here is some info from a Canadian Mazda dealers site. From this information I would say no.
  • 2020-2022
    • Skyactiv-G 2.5L DOHC Inline-4: 1WPE-14-302
    • Skyactiv-G 2.5L Dynamic Pressure Turbo DOHC Inline-4: 1WPY-14-302
  • 2013-2018
    • Skyactiv-G 2.0L DOHC Inline-4: 1WPE-14-302
    • Skyactiv-G 2.5L DOHC Inline-4: 1WPE-14-302

Last edited:
sorry to reply to an old thread, but have an interesting question: My wife has a 2020 CX-5 with the 2.5L Turbo, and I've used the 1WPY-14-302 (Thailand) filters on it. My son just got a 2014 3i Sport with the 2.0L N/A engine, and the filters for it are listed as 1WPE-14-302 (Thailand).

Would there be an issue using the filters for the turbo (1WPY-14-302) on the non-turbo engine?
Do not interchange filters, the have different pressures and specs for each engine type

Went to my local anti-"stealership" yesterday for their $59.95 oil change, about as cheap as it gets in these parts. The service desks are manned by a bunch of 20-somethings. With the last oil change they used the value oil filter and Peak brand bulk oil. Peak is now out of the motor oil business, so I asked the young woman what oil they're using now and if they carried the Made In Thailand filter.

The young lady writing up the service order had no idea there was a filter alternative, "This [value] filter is what Mazda sends us." As for the oil, she didn't know what they were using, "It's a 0W20 synthetic," with a tone that said they're all alike and stop asking me questions. :rolleyes: I think these people missed the class on upselling. :oops: Since I've decided to go with a 6 - 9 month, 3k - 4k mile oil interval (only about 6k driven per year), this budget stuff will do fine.

As it turns out, they're now using this bulk oil:

Frankly, as a GF-6 oil, while also getting GM's Dexos certification for what it's worth, I'd rather have this stuff than the GF-5 Mazda branded oil.

By the way, the tech shot me a text with a video of him taking tire tread and brake pad measurements. Kinda cool, irrelevant in my case, but perhaps a persuasive selling tool if the wear justified replacement.

Back