Oil filter differences?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Mazda list differences between the Turbo and Normal engines oil filters. What if any is the difference in flow rate or bypass or ?. Wix and Fram offer the same oil filter for turbo or NA engines. Just wondered. Ed

Mazda list differences between the Turbo and Normal engines oil filters. What if any is the difference in flow rate or bypass or ?. Wix and Fram offer the same oil filter for turbo or NA engines. Just wondered. Ed
Mazda doesn’t release the specs for its oil filters. Use our common sense, if Mazda feels the OEM oil filter used on the 2.5L NA can be used on its 2.5T, why they spend money to develop another oil filter (with different specs) for it?

It is interesting to note that my other car manufacture under BMW has a Turbocharged and Super charged as well N/A engine and they all use the same oil filter?
Oh and in the last few years MAZDA replaced and superseded one of their most common oil filters for the Skyactiv engine's and all was a new OEM parts number. Nothing changed improving it at all just a new part number.
I have a friend that is one of the management teams head of the Power Trained and Engineering Département of Chrysler and even he said that they do not engineer special oil filters unless there is a radical change in an engine and that some of the oil filters specification used are still dating back several decades that only the filter media has improved. He even said that they seldom keep on file any oil filter specifications because nothing is new.
IDK just what I learned? And I have to ask why all the other leading oil filters companies also use one number for both engines as well?

It is interesting to note that my other car manufacture under BMW has a Turbocharged and Super charged as well N/A engine and they all use the same oil filter?
BMW or Chrysler isn’t the Mazda.

Oh and in the last few years MAZDA replaced and superseded one of their most common oil filters for the Skyactiv engine's and all was a new OEM parts number. Nothing changed improving it at all just a new part number.
This statement is questionable. Firstly Mazda currently offers 2 different non-value-line oil filters, 1WPE-14-302 for the 2.5L / 2.0L NA and 1WPY-14-302 for the 2.5T. Neither gets replaced or superseded by another.

And:

57E07803-869B-41CF-A307-FFE199011C0D.jpeg

A320C07E-B94D-4855-925F-66A07DDB200D.jpeg

Thank great information (y)but it didn't really contradict my response?

I guess it goes with what ever one member once to get from another? (y)

The 2.5 turbo engines have a much different oil pump that requires different flow rates. Mazda feels the NA filter is not up to the task and developed a new one. This is the big reason I only use the OEM filter on my car. Running the translation through a translator is a little wonky but you can get the gist of it.

"In the new engine, the turbocharger
oil supply to the piston and piston cooling oil jet flow rate increase, etc.
It became necessary to increase the maximum discharge amount of the oil pump. on the other hand
In order to maintain low fuel consumption, the amount of oil supplied in unnecessary areas is
It was required to reduce the mechanical resistance by reducing the This contradiction
Vane type continuous variable displacement
We developed a new oil pump (Fig.18). the computer is
Calculate the optimum oil supply amount according to the engine rotation and load,
Linear control of the solenoid while monitoring with a pressure sensor
By doing so, the volume of the discharge chamber of the oil pump can be changed steplessly.
be able to.
This oil pump optimizes the engine oil supply,
Compared to the conventional trochoid type two-stage variable oil pump,
Oil in the mode area while increasing the large discharge amount by 75% compared to conventional"

Attachments

• oil pump.png
    oil pump.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 90
Nice report but it does not mention the oil filter. I am aware of the increased in volume, but the volume of the new MAZDA in the report does not state the CFM so how can we know if it is greater than other platforms or out of the CFM rating of aftermarket oil filters? I know contacting them regarding building race engines using high-volume oil pump and lubrication systems that most oil filters at least top branded name account for high volume oil flow.
I have a technical request out (see attached) to one of the oil filters manufactures with the exact question of their application single number for the MAZDA. I will also send them the translated report information provided by sinistriel.
Perhaps an answer will come soon and at least for one oil filter manufacture can introduce more informative information and not speculation for a few MAZDA Turbo and NA engine oil filter aftermarket brands
I also interpret the exact meaning of the he Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) using a aftermarket product that any aftermarket company listing for the use on a specific application part an auto manufacture cannot void a claim of warranty. So, ask yourself why would several different oil filter companies list a product for use that could have them being sued for damages? If it were only a single company, I would be cautious, but it is no less than 5 oil filter suppliers that I looked up? Anyone can do the same and all top tier companies.

The BMW and Chrysler engine I referenced has high volume oil system similar like new MAZDA I never said which model production car nor engine. My conclusion was that MAZDA thus far has not shown by way of technical information like the flow rate and or pressure data why they offered a separate specific Turbo oil filter anywhere? And what I found on this forum the repeated information from yrwei52 while it is good is not a technical and a universal directed cautionary which is often applied by auto manufactures to indirectly suggest not using aftermarket replacement parts. In other words, it is their way of making some believe that if you don't use OEM you may have problems?

I will post what they answer to, and all the contact information should any feel the need to verify it.

A thought, I am wondering if it where that specific an oil filter for a Turbocharged engine then why MAZDA did not identify the canister somewhere for use with TURBO CHARGED ENGINES. Only basically stripes?

Interesting read ( ya think MAZDA might be discontinuing and superseding some part numbers in the future? : Genuine Mazda with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY Oil Filter Pack of 5, 5 washers and wrench
Mazda SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY Oil Filter, Drain Plug Washer and 5 Quarts of Mazda 0w20 Moly Oil. Everything you need to do an oil change your Mazda SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY. Mazda recommends every 5,000 to 7,500 miles for an oil and filter change.

Mazda Newest Part Number 1WPE-14-302
Same as PE01-14-302
Same as PE01-14-302A
Same as PE01-14-302A-MV

Attachments

• exonedit.PNG
    exonedit.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
And what I found on this forum the repeated information from yrwei52 while it is good is not a technical and a universal directed cautionary which is often applied by auto manufactures to indirectly suggest not using aftermarket replacement parts. In other words, it is their way of making some believe that if you don't use OEM you may have problems?
Here’s the repeated info from Mazda’s document:

“The 2016 CX-9 with the SKYACTIVE®-G 2.5T engine requires a unique oil filter (PY8W-14-302) which is NOT interchangeable with other SKYACTIVE® oil filters. The unique oil filter can be identified with two white bands as shown below.

CAUTION: Thread sizes are the same on all these filters. To avoid engine damage; ensure the correct part number and band design is used.

You can certainly ignore the warning from Mazda just because they don’t publish the technical data on its oil filter and use any one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters on your 2.5T. It’s your choice.

I’ll post repeated info again here just for those who’d take Mazda’s warning trying to get said OEM PY8W-14-302 oil filter but can’t in the US. PY8W-14-302 Japanese Tokyo Roki 2.5T oil filter has been superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter in the US since Dec. 2019.

Here are part numbers on OEM oil filters:

Mazda CX-5 2.5L NA:
PE01-14-302B (Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter installed from factory but not available in the US) / 1WPE-14-302 (Thai made Denso oil filter) / PE01-14-302A-MV (“Value” Product made in Mexico)

Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T:
PY8W-14-302 (Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter installed from factory but not available in the US) / 1WPY-14-302 (Thai made Denso oil filter) / PY8W-14-302-MV (“Value” Product made in Mexico)

You still can get those Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filters from eBay and online seller partsouq.com at Dubai and it takes only a week to get ordered parts delivered to the US.

Ok I understand . Some members can have valid points that some members disregard ?
Here is something that some may not know or understand how filters or oiling systems are designed or work in most engines. So let me toss this into the technical mix to think about .

Oil pressure and CFM are almost identical in numbers. An engine that produces over 90 lbs of oil pressure can affect the lubrication of vital engine parts negatively so the oil pressure in most factory engine is less then 90lbs psi. Most oil filters and all top brand oil filters are designed to hold 100-150, some to 190psi or more of oil pressure.

Transmission produces extremely higher oil pressure then that of an engine lubrication systems. Automatic cooling lines or factory coolers can withstand extreme and normal line pressures many exceeding 150lbs psi. In over 4 decades there has not been a reported incident using a known top brand oil filter on the dozens of aftermarket transmission oil filter conversion inline kits and cooler with the oil filter failing or not filtering.

The advertisement information posted so many times already on this forum implies a requirement from MAZDA but not a requirement that you must use only a MAZDA oil filter. That post also does not include any technical information to support any arguments not to use none MAZDA oil filters.
I asked LEGAL at our company this morning and they read the information and said that if were a requirement that you use only Mazda only oil filters it would have stated so. It does not. If any aftermarket manufactures of oil filters list with no warning or cautions any of their filters offered in their specific application assistance guide Mazda can not void a warranty should one occurs or prove that the cause of some engine failure or problem was caused by the use of a none OEM MAZDA oil filter.

So that's all I can I think it goes back to beat a dead horse or let members decide what they want to use on their MAZDA engines.

Last edited:
no offence but this is just a web forum site. people have various opinions and can share it freely. And there are no advertisements , nobody gets a % if they say Oem filters :)
Yea most of the opinions are that the Mazda oem filters are good match for the Cx5. That doesnt mean that people have to use those. Everybody can buy what they want and everybody can have their opinion. Oem filters are sometimes even cheaper than non oem but thats another topic.
With that said I get your point. There is logic in it. But at the end of the day its like those topics on tires or what oil to use. There is always two sides of the story, sometimes even more.

Last edited:
no offence but this is just a web forum site. people have various opinions and can share it freely. And there are no advertisements , nobody gets a % if they say Oem filters :)
Yea most of the opinions are that the Mazda oem filters are good match for the Cx5. That doesnt mean that people have to use those. Everybody can buy what they want and everybody can have their opinion. Oem filters are sometimes even cheaper than non oem but thats another topic.
With that said I get your point. There is logic in it. But at the end of the day its like those topics on tires or what oil to use. There is always two sides of the story, sometimes even more.
There is always a big difference between opinion and what some use and real facts. FYI I use Mazda oil filters as well Mobil 1, Wix, Fram and K&N.
The company that manufactures the oil filters for Mobil 1,NAPA,Purolator, Wix and I believe 1 or 2 more I spoke to today she was a department head in cataloging which is also connected to testing and R&D of oil filters for all the mentioned brands that the current catalog information to each brand specifically and including the use of the single part number for Mobil 1#M1-108-A on NA and Turbocharged Mazda's even the specified #PE-01-14-302 AMV in provided MAZDA reference RF-16-03 meets and exceeds specifically the MAZDA oil filter.
This is fact not guessing and others are welcome to go to the effort as I did to find the same information.

Now IMHO Mobile 1 based on my personal use of them on several cars I own would be my first choice when I use up my remaining MAZDA oil filters. :LOL:

Tires and oil topic are filled with people only have small experience levels overall with the hundreds of options available. And it is the most difficult to take anyone advise for either, tires or oil to use. One would need to have the exact same car and places they drive to judge to use or not take their advise and experiences. Oil would require 100 of thousands of miles usage and oil changes with countless oil analysis to be of any true value. But all those threads are fun to read and jump in and participate on!

Side note…UnCorked has been permanently banned for breaking the following Site Rule…

Circumventing a temporary or permanent ban is strictly prohibited. Mazdas247 has a zero tolerance policy towards users who re-register additional account(s) to circumvent their ban, meaning those accounts are subject to an immediate and permanent ban without warning.

Now back to the thread topic, thanks.

Side note…UnCorked has been permanently banned for breaking the following Site Rule…

Circumventing a temporary or permanent ban is strictly prohibited. Mazdas247 has a zero tolerance policy towards users who re-register additional account(s) to circumvent their ban, meaning those accounts are subject to an immediate and permanent ban without warning.

Now back to the thread topic, thanks.
Thank you for explaining the reason why. That was my first question when I saw the "banned" on the oil filter response.

So for those of you who don't use a Mazda filter, has anyone used a FRAM Ultra Synthetic XG6607 filter for the non-turbo engine? We have a '22 CX-5 and these filters are always stocked at Walmart which is much closer than our dealer.

So for those of you who don't use a Mazda filter, has anyone used a FRAM Ultra Synthetic XG6607 filter for the non-turbo engine? We have a '22 CX-5 and these filters are always stocked at Walmart which is much closer than our dealer.
Their Super Tech ST6607 has great reviews. It's what I usually use.

The mazda filters are relatively inexpensive and made exactly for the engine. Do like I do and buy 3 or 4 at a time and keep them on stock. Also get some crush washers. Imo, I would not use anything other than mazda filter during the powertrain warranty. Keep the mazda reciepts.

To answer your question, I've been using the Fram Ultra for the last 1-1/2 years on my 2014 and no functional problems and I think it's a good filter I'll keep using. I will mention that my practice for years has been to give an additional 1/4- 1/3 turn after the recommended tightening (usually 1 full turn after gasket contact). I found out real quickly that with this filter it's a bugger to remove, so no more tightening than instructed meaning hand tight. The non-skid grip coating is a big help here but it also changes the 'diameter' and makes for a less than tight fit for a 67 mm cup wrench and too tight a fit for a 65 mm cup wrench.
Referring back to the tight filter experience, the 67 mm cup removed some coating and slipped without loosening the filter. I had to carefully hammer on the 65 mm cup wrench (luckily had on hand) to loosen the filter and it was on tight. Afterward I also had to hammer off the cup from the old filter. Also, the 65mm cup wrench that saved my bacon was a good quality, heavier gauge Lisle brand. The one that slipped was a cheaper Walmart light gauge dual size 65/67 cup wrench. Additionally, because it is dual size, each size only has half of the 'depth' to grip the end of the filter thus enabling it to slip off the end of a really tight filter. I mention this even if you choose to use a Mazda or other brand filter as you'll still want a cup wrench to use with an extension and ratchet /breaker bar because with oil filters, installing by hand doesn't always mean removing by hand.
Now, I had the dealer do all of the oil changes until out of powertrain warranty to minimize any finger pointing if any engine problems occurred. The prices were more reasonable then also.
Really, after reading about the engine problems on this board that Mazda has/had with CD, I'd really think about letting the dealer do the oil changes at least for a while until you decide which way to go. I think it could only make your case, should one occur, look more favorable in the eyes of Mazda concerning any manufacturer help they would render.

To answer your question, I've been using the Fram Ultra for the last 1-1/2 years on my 2014 and no functional problems and I think it's a good filter I'll keep using. I will mention that my practice for years has been to give an additional 1/4- 1/3 turn after the recommended tightening (usually 1 full turn after gasket contact). I found out real quickly that with this filter it's a bugger to remove, so no more tightening than instructed meaning hand tight. The non-skid grip coating is a big help here but it also changes the 'diameter' and makes for a less than tight fit for a 67 mm cup wrench and too tight a fit for a 65 mm cup wrench.
Referring back to the tight filter experience, the 67 mm cup removed some coating and slipped without loosening the filter. I had to carefully hammer on the 65 mm cup wrench (luckily had on hand) to loosen the filter and it was on tight. Afterward I also had to hammer off the cup from the old filter. Also, the 65mm cup wrench that saved my bacon was a good quality, heavier gauge Lisle brand. The one that slipped was a cheaper Walmart light gauge dual size 65/67 cup wrench. Additionally, because it is dual size, each size only has half of the 'depth' to grip the end of the filter thus enabling it to slip off the end of a really tight filter. I mention this even if you choose to use a Mazda or other brand filter as you'll still want a cup wrench to use with an extension and ratchet /breaker bar because with oil filters, installing by hand doesn't always mean removing by hand.
Now, I had the dealer do all of the oil changes until out of powertrain warranty to minimize any finger pointing if any engine problems occurred. The prices were more reasonable then also.
Really, after reading about the engine problems on this board that Mazda has/had with CD, I'd really think about letting the dealer do the oil changes at least for a while until you decide which way to go. I think it could only make your case, should one occur, look more favorable in the eyes of Mazda concerning any manufacturer help they would render.

Thanks for the info regarding filter cup sizing. I'm used to Volvos which use a filter inside of a housing, so I have a large socket to loosen the housing cap. This will be my first car with a traditional screw on filter.

As for doing it myself, interestingly, the manual does state that if you perform maintenance yourself, you should document and save receipts. This tells me that Mazda recognizes and would accept DIY work as long as it is documented. The printing of such information would make it hard to walk back in the case of an issue. Or so I'd think!

If I don't have an OEM, I usually go for a Wix 57002. It's at least specifically made for the Mazda and more closely matches the OEM specs, for example no anti-drainback valve.

The information from Mazda about how they changed from a positive-displacement gearotor oil pump to a variable-displacement vane-type pump is interesting (though not new), but the notion that said change is due to 'lubrication requirements' is highly dubious at best. That change (from positive-displacement to variable displacement oil pumps) is 100% entirely about saving a few ounces of fuel per hundred (million?) miles on the entire fleet of cars. Essentially every manufacturer on the planet has made or is on the process of making that exact change across all engines.
Mazda's change and the info about the parts change is factual and accurate. The info about 'why' is marketing.

Back